What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical Necessity?  (Read 10228 times)

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
Re: Chemical Necessity?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 07:30:35 pm »
Now you're talking language I understand...   8)

Same here.  Now why can't they do that in the manuals...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 07:30:35 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 11:01:54 am »
For Max78

I rinse my micro clean filter off every month without harm.  You cannot use any kind of cleaner on it.  I dispose of the filter every four months.  I can buy them at my dealer for about fifteen dollars each if I buy a years worth at once.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 07:44:50 pm »
I think I did have my prices wrong for the filters, I havent bought replacements yet, sorry.  

I dont know why you arent supposed to rinse the micron, but our dealer said not to do that and its in the owners manual.  I think the particles that are in the micron are extremely tiny so you wont really be hosing those out, and likely will just be adding more particles from your garden hose which will cause it to fill up quicker.  Thats just my guess.  I only know not to do it.  

bethshar

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 07:48:42 pm »
I rinsed the microfilter.  There is a spot that got a little torn up.  This is probably why it shouldn't be rinsed - it will pull apart.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2004, 07:55:02 pm »
Exactly.  When I change ours, they are waterlogged, and not exactly strong.  I'd hate to reinstall one and have it disintegrate into the spa water.
Brewman
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2004, 07:59:49 pm »
I don't see anywhere in the manual that says you specifically cannot rinse them off.  It does say you cannot clean and reuse, but rinsing should not be an issue.  They are heavy when wet, but not delicate.  These things live to be in water.

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 09:57:01 pm »
Our dealer said that if you rinse and reuse the micron that it would deteriote and the pieces would end up back int he tub and look like toilet paper.     :P

CalicoskiesNC

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2004, 08:27:44 am »
Ok, the manual on pg 35 does not specifically say DO NOT RINSE the micron, but it gives explicit directions for rinsing/cleaning the pleated filter and even has pictures showing a hose cleaning the pleated filter but not the micron. There are no directions or illustrations for doing any type of cleaning/rinsing of the micron, only says to replace this filter after 3mo.  On page 36, it is underlined to NOT CLEAN the micron filter. I believe rinsing is considered cleaning.  If the manual doesnt tell you how to clean or rinse it, and there are no supporting diagrams on how to do this like there are with the pleated, then Sundance must not intend for the micron filter to be cleaned/rinsed in any fashion.  

By hosing the micron, hose water will only introduce more micro particles to be trapped.  You are not going to be rinsing this tiny debris out of the filter, thats how the filter is designed...to trap and NOT RELEASE these tiny particles of debris. The technology is like the hepa filters on homes and vaccuums.  The gunk goes in but doesnt come back out.  The material of the micron is so dense, nothing would flush out anyhow.  

This is copied from my 2004 Optima manual:

"Your Sundance hot tub is equipped with an exclusive MicroCleanTM 2-stage
filter located under the filter lid (Figure-F, Page 17). Fine debris is filtered by
the circulation pump drawing water through the smaller (stage 2) cartridge.
Larger debris is filtered by the main 2-speed pump drawing water through
the larger (stage 1) cartridge during normal operation and at each skimming/
heating cycle. Both halves work together to give you unsurpassed
water quality! To ensure optimum performance, clean and reuse the stage
1 cartridge once a month and throw-out (replace) the stage 2 cartridge
every 3 months, or as needed. Page 35"
----------------------------------------------------------
"The average life expectancy of the reusable stage 1 filter is approximately two years
with proper care and water quality maintenance. The smaller stage 2 filter cannot
be cleaned and must be replaced (thrown-out) every 3-months, or as needed. DO
NOT reuse this cartridge! Attempts to reuse this cartridge will reintroduce debris
back into your hot tub! Replacement cartridges may be purchased from your
Page 36"  

Where it says to not reuse the micron, isnt that what you are doing when you attempt to flush/rinse and then reinstall it?  

Lori
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 08:49:29 am by CalicoskiesNC »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2004, 09:10:59 am »
Where it says to not reuse the micron, isnt that what you are doing when you attempt to flush/rinse and then reinstall it?  

Lori

That's about how I look at it.  Well stated post, btw.  
Brewman
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2004, 09:52:54 am »
I will continue to rinse any dirt that accumulates on the outside until it becomes an issue.  Two plus years so far and one hasn't disintigrated yet.  And I get four months out of mine...SD recommends changing every three months.  I just like doing everything at once..water change, N2 change, filter change.

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2004, 12:17:35 pm »
I will continue to rinse any dirt that accumulates on the outside until it becomes an issue.  Two plus years so far and one hasn't disintigrated yet.  And I get four months out of mine...SD recommends changing every three months.  I just like doing everything at once..water change, N2 change, filter change.

Has they Micron filter been out 2 years?

CalicoskiesNC

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2004, 12:46:21 pm »
Tony, your micron may not sustain damage from your rinsing, but are you removing any micro particles?  How would you even see anything as small as .01micron?  The filter is designed to trap and hold the micro particles, I think your garden hose is only adding many more particles during your rinse.  I guess w/out taking filter to a lab, we will never know if its cleaner or dirtier after the rinse.  I'll still stick to my manufacturer's recommendation.  

This probably is not a very big deal at all, I was only explaining why Sundance doesnt recommend that the micron be rinsed at all.  I do believe its best for the filter and the water to leave the micron alone and not rinse.  To each his own.  

CalicoskiesNC

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2004, 12:50:00 pm »
According to the 2004 Sundance brochure, the MicroClean filtration system was introduced in 2002.  So I think that unless you bought a 2001 model Sundance in 2002, or not all 2002 models came with the Microclean initially, then SD tubs from 2002 forward should have the 2 part filter system.  

bethshar

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2004, 01:33:59 pm »
Just thought I'd let you know I just paid $12.59 for a micro filter from my dealer.  I was pleasantly surprised that it was less than online prices I've seen - and no shipping/service charges.  (I do get 10% off after purchasing the tub - but still a good price)

Spaguard chlorine concentrate was $11.65 for a 2lb container.  I thought that was a pretty good price.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 02:05:43 pm »
Great price.  I just spray the thing off, not a deep rinse.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 02:05:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42