What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Delivery of a hot tub  (Read 5699 times)

hobble23

Delivery of a hot tub
« on: November 05, 2019, 03:10:58 pm »
Hello, I have a hot tub coming this week.  Can anyone here describe what is going to happen?  I have a pad poured and ready for the hot tub.  2 sides will have a deck against it (ie it will be sunken on 2 sides).  I have wifi so I'm putting the controls on the far side as I wont have to access them ussually and that way the pump and controls are always open for maintenance. 

When it is delivered, do they typically hook up the electrical or is that something I need to do.  The wire and breaker etc. is already installed and it's just the spa that need hooking up to the wire (tech 90).  Does the electrical hookup happen after it's full of water or before?  Can you test a tub before it's full of water?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Delivery of a hot tub
« on: November 05, 2019, 03:10:58 pm »

ratchett

Re: Delivery of a hot tub
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 06:42:17 pm »
Getting my Hotspring Spa delivered this weekend (my first).  But I know my dealer stated they will be wiring up the unit, powering it on, filling it and giving me a crash course in care/maintenance.  Then again, I also shopped around to find the best dealer (of any reputable brand) in my area. 

I think it really all depends on who your dealer is and what what included with the sale (like a subpanel). Your sales rep should have covered some of that stuff, or they should be able to answer your questions.

My biggest advice after reading so many reviews is to ensure you have access to power and water for the delivery so the dealer can install and setup the tub.  Read a few bad reviews from people who didn't bother to get power setup first

Hobie

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 08:27:33 am »
We went to 6 or 7 dealers when we were looking at tubs.

None of them hooked up the electrical connection on delivery.

bud16415

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:33:49 am »
My dealer Caldera tub provided the GFCI panel (some do, some don’t) and I wired it myself back to the panel and then from the GFCI to the tub. The deal with mine was the delivery was just to get the tub on my deck where I wanted it and attach the cover lifter to the tub and attach it to the cover and make sure it worked. The crew in my case wasn’t the dealer or anyone to teach me about the tub and we live far enough away the dealer offered to teach me about the tub at their show room, but I never bothered. As the delivery guy was driving away I had the hose in filling it up and because mine was on a wooden deck with access below I opted to drill right thru the deck and compartment floor and bring the conduit in the bottom. I had that all done before the tub filled and once filled I had it power up and was playing around with the settings. The next morning we were in it soaking.

With yours on a pad you can maybe run your conduit above ground under the deck and then along side the tub and in the corner opening on the equipment side. The proper way is to run ridged conduit the whole way and then switch to flexible conduit just before entering the tub and then keep the wires in the flex until you get to the tubs electrical enclosure. Be aware that by code there are different wire types needed for outdoor service than what would be used indoors and also wire in conduit different than wire like romex indoor or direct burial outdoor cables. If you hire a licensed professional electrician they will know all the code for hot tubs and do it correct. Handyman would be less expensive but keep your eye on them as to code.

On a side note the GFCI is the most important safety feature your tub has. You are sitting in a tub of water that has the potential of coming in contact with 240V power if the heater were to fail. You want that power to be stopped instantly and that’s the job of the GFCI. Test it once a month by opening the cover of the GFCI and pushing the test button. Always shut it down there before draining the tub etc and never power the tub up without it mostly filled with water.     

Its_Shaun

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 09:46:26 am »
I took delivery of a new hot in September (Bullfrog X8) and the installation worked where the crew delivered the hot tub to the prepped pad and ran the conduit through the electrical chaseway which was built into the underside of the tub but here in NY they said that only a licensed electrician is able to complete the final connection so I just did it myself.

hobble23

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 10:11:52 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  Very helpful. I have Tech90 wire which is for outdoor use and is direct burial with armour as well.  It's used by hot tubs in general I know.  As such I don't think I will need an flex conduit as the wire will serve the purpose.  GFCI is all ready to go and tested and will be tested again, and again :)

One item I didn't do is draw a ground wire from the rebar in the slab that the hot tub sits on. Opinions seem to be all over the map on if that is needed for equipotential bonding.  I have come to my own opinion that because it's standalone appliance it's not needed and so I don't plan to address it.

One thing I wish I did was leave a whole in the concrete and come up through the bottom of the tub instead of having the wire come into the side.  I think trying to drill through a 6 inch slab with rebar in it now though would limit my ability to do that so coming in through the side it is.  I may need to get some sort of fitting to go in through the side I guess to seal it off so will have to figure that out.

Will let you know how it goes and maybe take a few pictures!

Exciting times for me.

bud16415

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 10:37:47 am »
Sounds like you have a plan. I also wouldn’t bond the tub to the slab. As to the run of the direct burial cable I would at least put it in PVC conduit where it is above ground and penetrates the tubs side for added protection. Many tubs have knock out openings in the lower corner and some have channels below the base pan for pulling wires.

Good luck and enjoy.   

hobble23

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 12:19:04 pm »
Where the wire comes up on out the ground, currently there is ridgid PVC there over top.  it hink I can probabbly get rid of the ridgid and put it in flex instead and into the tub. 

swilly1000

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 10:28:24 am »
One thing I wish I did was leave a whole in the concrete and come up through the bottom of the tub instead of having the wire come into the side.

I did that.  Measured it up and checked and double checked and triple checked to make sure it was in the right place.   Sweet stealth install!

hobble23

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 04:42:02 pm »
Tomorrow the tub arrives.  Unfortunately, I have to go away this weekend so it won't be up and running really until Monday, but the excitement is in the air around here!

hobble23

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 04:58:20 pm »
Hot tub arrived.  It was excellent. It didn't take too long to fill and get going but I never actually got to use it until Sunday. We slept like babies afterwards.  It was almost like it knocked us out!  I started up the tub early Friday morning and didn't actually get the spa marvel added until Sunday afternoon after adjusting the Alkalinity and PH and Cal Boost.  I did add a bit of chlorine (1 tbsp) on Sunday and then a bit more today (1 tsp).  Seems Ok as I'd like to be close to chlorine free so I don't plan to add anymore.  Water is  clear and I don't smell anything gross. I guess I will know if it is going bad??  I don't really understand the purpose of shocking the pool. I have a different chemical for that as well but not sure when I should use it at this point.

It's a twilight 8.25.  The wifi was not installed but the dealer came a fixed that. The jets are awesome - good power and you can move the power around.  The only negative thing I don't like is the controls for the lights.  you have to turn them off quickly to change the color.  I find it annoying and wish there was a different button to change the color. Oh, one more negative thing, I have to take the lifter off to remove the access panel.  I can see eventually that the screws will be stripped for it.  Not sure if you folks have seen the same issue over time.

swilly1000

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 05:49:00 am »
We slept like babies afterwards.  It was almost like it knocked us out!  I started up the tub early Friday morning and didn't actually get the spa marvel added until Sunday afternoon after adjusting the Alkalinity and PH and Cal Boost. 

It's a twilight 8.25.  The wifi was not installed but the dealer came a fixed that. The jets are awesome - good power and you can move the power around.  The only negative thing I don't like is the controls for the lights.  you have to turn them off quickly to change the color.  I find it annoying and wish there was a different button to change the color.

I have had my TS8.25 for just over a year now and I love it! Using Spa Marvel as well and it works great. You will get used to the light control. It takes a while to get used to the controls.  The jets are awesome in that tub!!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 05:49:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42