What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thoughts on Catalina Luxury Berkshire?  (Read 8566 times)

TFleischman

Thoughts on Catalina Luxury Berkshire?
« on: November 18, 2019, 06:58:45 pm »
We are looking at getting our first hot tub and are completely lost. I am having a hard time really finding any information or reviews on the Catalina company in general. It looks like they have been around for a long time. They have lots of "Shiny Features" that the kids would love but how does the actual hot tub rate in terms of quality?

Thanks for your input in advance

Tom

Hot Tub Forum

Thoughts on Catalina Luxury Berkshire?
« on: November 18, 2019, 06:58:45 pm »

ratchett

Re: Thoughts on Catalina Luxury Berkshire?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 09:47:17 pm »
So here's the thing about the Spa industry - there were a lot of awesome brand names a few decades ago - then in the 90's/2000's a lot of these brands got bought up by a few companies who now run most of the industry.

Catalina is one such company with an awesome reputation from decades ago. However in the early 2000's they got bought up by a manufacturer called LPI Inc.  If you look around this sub or others, you'll find LPI makes some rather low quality products these days compared to the rest of the market.  True they proudly advertise "Made in America" - but they sell their tubs under dozens of (formerly awesome) brand names in order to obfuscate the customer preventing you from reading real reviews from real customers (If you sell the same low-quality product under a dozen different brand names, that spreads out the negative reviews making it hard to search for actual feedback from owners, and easier for you to pay for some sponsored content by a handful of fake reviewers to prop up the brand)

If you read around this forum and others, you'll see most people say the dealer is just as important as the make/model spa you buy (something I hadn't considered either as a beginner on the hunt).   It's a large investment - things can break, maintenance issues will be needed - is your spa dealer going to be there for the next few years to help hold your hand? Are they going to charge an arm and a leg for service? Or is it free call-outs for the first five years?   Most lower cost and mail-order spas tend to expect you to be the service technician on your own spa.

Start by looking at the top brands on the market, then start researching your local authorized dealers for your favorite brands.  Research the reviews, see how their service department rates.   Then head over to the dealers and start taking a look at the spas, asking questions about service/warranty/etc.   Do they have their own trained technicians on staff or do they outsource? Questions like that are vital.   

I went into my search thinking I was going to buy the most expensive 3/4 person Jacuzzi brand spa I could get.  Then when I researched my local dealer and the product offering, I was less than impressed with Jacuzzi's offering (designs felt too dated and the local dealer was too inexperienced & overpriced for my tastes since they specialized in multiple brands/products )

HotSpring, Jacuzzi, Bullfrog, Caldera, Sundance, Artesian, and Marquis.  Those are some of the top brands currently on the market worth looking into - start your search there.

My new HS Jetsetter is getting delivered Wednesday, I've been waiting twenty years to buy my first spa, cannot WAIT for that first satisfying soak  ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:42:51 am by ratchett »

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Thoughts on Catalina Luxury Berkshire?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 09:47:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42