What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Plumbing configuration dilemma  (Read 3216 times)

TahoesMama

Plumbing configuration dilemma
« on: September 20, 2004, 10:23:01 pm »
What is the preferred plumbing configuration from the pump for optimum performance?  Also, are there preferences for various pumps (such as, for two 2hp pumps as opposed to the one 5 hp, etc.).  This question comes as a result of speaking to two competing salesmen.  One dealer was proud of the fact that his tub had one large 45 degree angle off of the pump, while the other dealer stated that this decreased pressure from the pump.  What gives?  Any ideas? ???

Hot Tub Forum

Plumbing configuration dilemma
« on: September 20, 2004, 10:23:01 pm »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
Re: Plumbing configuration dilemma
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 11:01:53 pm »
Mama,

First things first, pump HP is a weird number and you can make it mean almost anything you want it to.  Often, slick salesmen quote the pumps brake power, which is a heck of alot different than it's normal "push water around" power.  Take everything they say with a grain of salt.

You want continuous HP.  Post the tub brands and people here can tell you the continuous HP.  Heck people here can probably tell you the manufacturer and model number of the pumps if it is a more popular brand!

As for "preferred" configuration for optimum performance, it depends on several things.  Is the filtration system on the line, where are the suction intakes, how many jets are there, where is the diverter, is there a diverter.  I have heard here the 90 degree turns are a sign of less than optimal plumbing, but am not sure about 45 degree turns.

Sit in the tub, wet test both, and you will know right away whether the pressure is adequate.

But research before you buy there is a ton of info here and it's worth the extra few days of reading.  Any dealer who announces a sale "TODAY ONLY" is usually just doing the pressure sales thing.

-Ed

TahoesMama

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 11:39:12 pm »
Thanks, Ed!

The salesman who first spoke about the degree angle was one who told us to ask any salesman who mentions HP exactly what "HP" meant, and if he couldn't recite the formula, he didn't know what he was talking about.  Ironically, after wet testing his tub, we weren't particularly satisfied.  The tub we're seriously considering is the Sundance Altamar.  For what it's worth, has a MicroClean filtration system with an automatic brominator and 24-hr continuous pump with 33 jets.  We'll have to ask/look at it again re: diverter and to see if filtration is on the line or not (specs don't say).  But as you stated, when wet-tested, we definitely preferred it over the Marquis Rewards (though we hate admitting so).

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 12:14:51 am »
Did you try both the standard Reward and the SA Reward?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 07:44:42 am »
Disregard that technical stuff.  It's relatively meaningless to average consumers.  As you found out, what really matters is your comfort in the spa.  Keep trying them out, and stick to one which feels best to you and your family.

Brewman
Brewman

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 09:20:56 am »
Sundance and Marquis seem to both be reputable manufacturers.  Without question sundance is, and from what I have read on this board, Marquis is as well.

From my own hot tub shopping experience Sundance makes their pump power a very large portion of their sales pitch and, without question, Sundance uses very powerful pumps.   There are other reasons to like a Sundance, too.  It is a well made tub.

I own a Hot Springs, and what follows is just opinion.

Try a Hot Springs. I preferred the Grandee to the Sundance Optima.  I don't know if the altimar has 1 or 2 pumps, but I would try and go for a tub with 2 pumps (whether they be 1 or 2 speed pumps).

Also, many people don't like Bromine.  You can use some kind of Chlorine regiment in a Sundance.  There are past threads of discussion here on all of the above.

Good luck.  I found a hot tub was one of the smartest uses of my money in a while.  I have definitely seen a different and better quality of life since owning one.  ;D

-Ed

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 09:31:42 am »
Disregard that technical stuff.  It's relatively meaningless to average consumers.  As you found out, what really matters is your comfort in the spa.  Keep trying them out, and stick to one which feels best to you and your family.

Brewman

Amen, Brewman.  Not how it is but how it feels......to you.....

Good luck.  I found a hot tub was one of the smartest uses of my money in a while.  I have definitely seen a different and better quality of life since owning one.  ;D

-Ed

Amen, again, Ed.  Quality of life is a major issue with a hot tub purchase.  Just be sure to stick with a major manufacturer so that the frustration of a poorly built/performing spa doesn't bring down your quality of life.......
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chris_H

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 10:06:46 am »
TahoesMama:

The one 5 hp motor you described in your first post is undoubtedly a brake-horsepower figure.  I would never recommend a consumer to purchase a spa on the horsepower on the motor.  

The perfect example is Hotspring.  Most of their spas have great massages with low horsepower motors.  

Just to help you out on the filtration on the Altamar.  The micro-clean part of the filtration system is using the 24-hour circulation pump.  The other side of the filtration uses pump #2 on low speed to filter.

Chris H

TahoesMama

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 10:49:57 am »
Thanks, Chris.  Your post clarifies what we were on track of thinking, but not sure of.  

Thanks to all of you folks!  It's great to be able to hash this out with people.  My husband has two brothers (one with a Viking and the other with a Catalina).  Naturally, they have their opinions on the products they bought, and of course, little brother can't outdo them!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 10:49:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42