What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electric bill increase  (Read 14660 times)

countryboy

• soak it in cider
Electric bill increase
« on: September 20, 2004, 08:51:11 am »
On average what did everyone see as an increase on your electric bill when you got your hot tub?

Hot Tub Forum

Electric bill increase
« on: September 20, 2004, 08:51:11 am »

keesterdog

Re: Electric bill increase
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 08:56:18 am »
our hydropool 700 tub holds almost 500 gallons of water.  it has a lot of surface area due to the side by side loungers.  it probably has costus about $50 / month to operate :(

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 10:00:01 am »
Depends on the size of the tub, the temperature you keep it at, and how often you run it.

I have a Hot Springs Grandee, which is about 450-500 gallons of water.  Over the summer we usually keep it between 96 and 99 degrees (usually depending on how long we want to stay in it) and so far it has cost us between $10 and $15 a month. We expect, based on our dealer's tests, that the tub should cost us between $15 and $20 a month during the winter.

-Ed

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 10:16:18 am »
I've noticed about $25/mo so far in summer.  We have an Optima and keep it at 96.  I expect it to go up another $10 with cold weather.  We have 5ppl using tub, usually running it for at least 2hr a day.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 10:31:47 am »
I'd say an average of $30 per month.  The cost will vary depending on your rate per KWH.  We pay about $.07/kwh.

Brewman

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 11:08:07 am »
To those of you with electrical increse estimates:

Can you say all other thing have been equal? Is the pirce electricity the same? Have you been using all of your electrical appliances the same a  amount a s last year? TV, furnace, AC, oven, computer, dishwasher, washer, dryer.

Were your bills in years previous consistent year over year? Did you ever experience a $25-50 increase in comsuption from year to the next before the hot tub.

No more or less scientific than the FF vs TP or 2-speed vs circ pump debates I guess. >:(
Homeworks Financing Representative

ebirrane

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 02:13:52 pm »
Can you say all other thing have been equal? Is the pirce electricity the same? Have you been using all of your electrical appliances the same a  amount a s last year? TV, furnace, AC, oven, computer, dishwasher, washer, dryer.

You are quite correct. These are guestimates!

The only other piece of information I can give is that the Hot Spring dealer in my area said that he conducted a study of how much electricity was used by these tubs.  He put a meter on the line going to the hot tub and collected measurements for something like 2-3 months of various customers. He concluded it cost about $20/month on average, through the year, to run the tub in our area, assuming 45 minutes of use each day and a temp of 104.

I could have requested this, but did not. The monthly bill didn't mean much to me, $10 or $30.

Now, you can drive a semi through the hole in this "study".  He checks the meter. He gives the information on the "customer".  It absolutely could be a marketing gimmick. But...

I'm pretty sure my bill has held steady through the summer at about $10-$15 increase over normal/last year and I don't think electricity in my area has gotten cheaper.  But remember, I keep my temps around 96-99 degrees.  With the cover on, in MD, with the sun hitting it, my tub will go up to 100 all by itself.  I once thought my tub was broken because the temp from the install was set to 100, I set it to 96, and more than 24 hours later the temp hadn't really budged.

I doubt the heater is kicking on much at all.  When I get in I like to stay in 2-3 hours on average, sometimes much longer.  Half the time the jets are on, and sometimes my wife and I just go out and sit in the water.

-Ed

« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 02:29:53 pm by ebirrane »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 02:43:04 pm »
Less than 17.00 per month..water at 101...Marquis Euphoria...

stiffy

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 05:43:57 pm »
ebirrane, just curious how long it takes to become unwrinkled after 2-3 hour or more soak? ;D

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 05:48:19 pm »
I've soaked for 2hrs many times!  It takes about an hour to unwrinkle  :) I've only soaked that long when the water temp has been under 100.  

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 05:51:39 pm »
Besides the fact that these guesstimates are inaccurate I have a more important point to make. If you are buying from one of the top 10 maybe even top 20 (units produced) manufacturers, I beleive you should leave energy efficiency out of the equation. They are all close. If you are going to buy a $6000-$10000 tub and you are worrying about the difference between $20 and $25/month, I dont get it. $5/month times 12 months=$60 times 10 years= $600. WOW I would like to spend $1000 more on my tub to save $600 over ten years?!?!?!?!?!? Looks, comfort, hydrotherapy massage seem more important to me than $5-10/month. Just my silly opinion I guess.

HTMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

stiffy

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 06:16:43 pm »
I've soaked for 2hrs many times!  It takes about an hour to unwrinkle  :) I've only soaked that long when the water temp has been under 100.  

ya, me to, its just 30min for me then again Im only forty yearsyoung. 8)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 06:26:05 pm »

ya, me to, its just 30min for me then again Im only forty yearsyoung. 8)

See your doctor.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

ebirrane

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 06:29:50 pm »
Besides the fact that these guesstimates are inaccurate

I agree that the cost over many years isn't much of an issue, and that pretty much any major brand will be close to one another.

But, by inaccurate, do you mean that my electrical bill went up more than that?  Don't tell me wife!  Don't tell BGE either, because, apparently, I've been underpaying!

:-X

-Ed

ebirrane

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 06:31:22 pm »
ebirrane, just curious how long it takes to become unwrinkled after 2-3 hour or more soak? ;D

8)

Usually about an hour, but most of the time my arms/hand are out of the tub, leaning against the top of the shell, so it is hard to notice unless you look at your toes.

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 06:31:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42