What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Standing water on recently poured concrete pad  (Read 3330 times)

JB0113

Standing water on recently poured concrete pad
« on: September 26, 2019, 07:03:03 pm »
Hey guys, I just recently had a concrete pad poured in preparation for a new Hot Springs tub that should be delivered in around 2 weeks.  I noticed today that after some rain last night, there was a bit of standing water.  From what I can tell, Hot Springs tubs essentially sit right on the ground meaning there's no legs.  Should I consider some type of very small & level shim for each of the four corners so that it sits just a bit above the concrete and avoids touching any water?

https://imgur.com/a/jr8MkJY

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Standing water on recently poured concrete pad
« on: September 26, 2019, 07:03:03 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Standing water on recently poured concrete pad
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 08:02:48 am »
Hey guys, I just recently had a concrete pad poured in preparation for a new Hot Springs tub that should be delivered in around 2 weeks.  I noticed today that after some rain last night, there was a bit of standing water.  From what I can tell, Hot Springs tubs essentially sit right on the ground meaning there's no legs.  Should I consider some type of very small & level shim for each of the four corners so that it sits just a bit above the concrete and avoids touching any water?

https://imgur.com/a/jr8MkJY

Thanks!

Your concrete guy should of put slightly more slope on that pad.
Retired

NBonugli

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:32:44 am »
In my opinion...put a 4' or 6' level on that damp area and see what the deviation is. I'm not sure how long after it rained that that picture was taken, but it appears only to be damp...so maybe the "dip" or the low spots aren't that bad. if there were puddles..that's a different story...the dips/low spots might be a but deeper. In my mind, and I think the general rule of thumb is, a level slab is desired to keep the water level in the tub level. I don't think shimming may be the best option to fix a low spot in the concrete. If the low spot is "that bad", and that area is going to be concealed by the tub, have your guy apply a latex modifed cementitious repair mortar (such as SikaTop 123+ or something similar) to level it off.

Nick B
Middleton, Ma

Sam

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 11:22:19 am »
Do not shim the corners of your spa.  You will void the warranty most likely.  The spa needs to be uniformly supported underneath.

JB0113

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 02:23:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far guys!  It definitely was not a big pool of standing water by any means so I am not terribly worried about it.  I was just thinking if there was an easy & cost effective solution to consider prior to delivery, I would look into it.  I sent my dealer the pics as well and he thought it wasn't a big deal and would be fine, but also said if I was really worried about it, I could run some black silicone surrounding the tub to further prevent water from getting under there.  What do you guys think about that?  Or I guess I could even see if there were actual thin rubber "strips" that I could just wedge all the way around the tub too.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 08:32:22 am »
Thanks for the replies so far guys!  It definitely was not a big pool of standing water by any means so I am not terribly worried about it.  I was just thinking if there was an easy & cost effective solution to consider prior to delivery, I would look into it.  I sent my dealer the pics as well and he thought it wasn't a big deal and would be fine, but also said if I was really worried about it, I could run some black silicone surrounding the tub to further prevent water from getting under there.  What do you guys think about that?  Or I guess I could even see if there were actual thin rubber "strips" that I could just wedge all the way around the tub too.

I've used old conveyor belt under a tub also. Seems to quiet it down a bit also.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 08:32:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42