What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filtration Systems Artesian Margarita vs Marquis Epic (both with MicroSilk)  (Read 4067 times)

Lula73

Hi! This will be our first hot tub purchase. We are looking at either the Artesian Island series Margarita or the Marquis Epic. We would opt in for MicroSilk on whichever one we choose (DH has skin issues that it should help).  The Margarita offers the size and space/configuration we really like. However, the filtration system  on the Marquis seems to be superior with both an upper and lower intake. This would be important as we will use the MicroSilk feature at least every other day  Since MicroSilk exfoliates to some extent, I worry about basically skin dust settling to the bottom. It would seem that Marquis would do a better a job with dual intakes and it would also automatically start a clean cycle within minutes of leaving the hot tub so the skin dust isn’t settling on the floor, on surfaces, or floating around for hours afterward. Can anyone please chime in and help me out with this? Thank you in advance!😀

Hot Tub Forum

The Wizard of Spas

Re: Filtration Systems Artesian Margarita vs Marquis Epic (both with MicroSilk)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 11:41:01 am »
Salutations.

Your deductive reasoning is sound but I think filtration is overrated.  Allow me to explain:

Both brands are great products.  I caution that this specific area of focus is not the area that should be the deciding factor.  Filtration is necessary, but water chemistry (and by extension - oxidation) is always the most important factor in sanitization of your spa water.  I would not make the deciding factor between these two spas based on the filters / filtration.  Go with the ergonomics of the individual models and the dealer's reputation.  Sit in both and try and wet test.  Take a look at the build, warranty, and price.  Maybe after all of that you might let something like filtration factor in. 

I hope this makes sense.  Good luck moving forward.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 12:53:23 pm »
I would think skin would be the least of your worries in a hot tub. Feces, urine, body sweat and anything else that is on or in your skin would seem more important.

A good sanitation routine will be necessary no matter how it filters.
Retired

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 04:01:45 pm »
Either spas filtration systems will work just fine for your needs, like mentioned above it will come down to how well you take care of it...the filtration system on a $5,000 Nordic Hot Tub will keep the water just as clean as a filtration system on a $14,000 Bullfrog, Hot Spring, Marquis, etc as long as you the cycles set for the appropriate amount of time, clean filter(s) regularly and keep up with the sanitation. Good Luck!

swilly1000

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 08:50:02 pm »
Microsilk is a way overpriced gimmicky option.  I would pass. Use an enzyme product to soften your water for a tiny fraction of the price.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 09:00:56 pm »
Microsilk is a way overpriced gimmicky option.  I would pass. Use an enzyme product to soften your water for a tiny fraction of the price.

Have you been in a tub with Microsilk?  Its not a chemical system and nothing like a enzyme

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 09:04:09 pm »
Hi! This will be our first hot tub purchase. We are looking at either the Artesian Island series Margarita or the Marquis Epic. We would opt in for MicroSilk on whichever one we choose (DH has skin issues that it should help).  The Margarita offers the size and space/configuration we really like. However, the filtration system  on the Marquis seems to be superior with both an upper and lower intake. This would be important as we will use the MicroSilk feature at least every other day  Since MicroSilk exfoliates to some extent, I worry about basically skin dust settling to the bottom. It would seem that Marquis would do a better a job with dual intakes and it would also automatically start a clean cycle within minutes of leaving the hot tub so the skin dust isn’t settling on the floor, on surfaces, or floating around for hours afterward. Can anyone please chime in and help me out with this? Thank you in advance!😀

I wouldn’t worry about the filtration aspect on either brand. Have you been able to wet test both with microsilk?  Marquis does a very good job implementing the system. I had a resort with microsilk for a few years. I have seen Microsilk in action in both a coast spa and a Clearwater. Nowhere near the same as far as the amount of micro bubbles and milky like look that you get on the Marquis. Haven’t seen it in a Artesian before. Didn’t realize they offered it as a option.

swilly1000

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 02:49:47 pm »

Have you been in a tub with Microsilk?  Its not a chemical system and nothing like a enzyme

Yes a Marquis.  It definitely gives a visible and tangible soft feel to the water.  Not worth the $2K (!?!?) sticker price the dealer quoted, or even the $1K discounted price I've seen here. 

It seems targeted to the female decision maker who (at the risk of p/o ing the ladies) will like it.  My observation doesn't consider whether it requires periodic "recharges" or maintenance which will cost additional $$.

Spa Marvel gives a nice soft feel to the water at $55/qtr.  Good enough for me.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 05:48:08 pm »
Not trying to derail the topic nor stray from the original poster's query, but I have always wondered - and this goes back to when I did sell Artesian Spas - where is the tangible evidence associated with this?  Meaning - how does MicroSilk back what they say?

I would ask my dealer rep, and the factory, for information outside of the realm of the sales pitch and nothing was ever available to support the claims that MicroSilk made which I found to be disconcerting.  I tried to get any information I could because that is indeed a big price tag for a feature on a hot tub and I just wanted to be as educated as I could be.  I am a few years removed from that brand and product, however, so I could be raising a false concern.  If that is the case I do apologize and am also equally interested in reading up on anything anyone has to offer.

*But* if you have sat in a tub that has that feature, and enjoy the feeling afterwards, who cares, right?  Its all about comfort and if that is the feel you prefer, then there is your answer. 

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 06:01:20 pm »
I think you hit on it. If you sat in a tub with that feature and enjoy the feeling afterwards. If you google Jason’s international he’s the one who came up with it. For me it was a take it or leave it but I have a good amount of customers who swear by it. I don’t think you will find any actual evidence of science behind it. I have looked.

MarKee

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 02:14:26 am »
When MicroSilk came out I was a bit skeptical at first but what sold me was a new store manager we hired that had psoriasis. He started soaking in the Marquis MicroSilk display model in the showroom and the psoriasis almost completely vanished. Everyone’s skin is different and it might not work for everyone, but that was pretty incredible evidence for me, I don’t need to see a scientific study.

MarKee

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 02:15:52 am »
One other note is that Marquis has really implemented the system well in their spas.  Marquis sells more MicroSilk than the other 6-7 companies that offer it combined.

Lula73

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 05:58:23 pm »
Thank you all for the replies! To clarify on a few things...it’s not about the feeling of softness of the water or even if the skin afterwards. It’s about the action of the bubbles in/on the pores of the skin and exfoliation to help treat a skin condition that doesn’t respond to other treatments - treatments that don’t work in the same way that microsilk does.  If microsilk is exfoliating and/or removing impurities from the pores, filtering the water in the tub becomes a top priority vs tubs without the feature. We’re talking way more “stuff” in the water. If those skin cells are settling to the bottom, that would be pretty gross to step into the next time you go to use it which is why I think Marquis has the lower filtration intake in addition to the upper one. This could also be good when it comes to any type of dirt/debris settling. As the skin cells tend to float for a bit before sinking, i would think that the filtering process happening within minutes of exiting the tub would also help greatly. I know Artesian talks directly about a manual vacuuming of the floor of the tub once a week. That worries me.

Our plan is to build the hot tub into a stone base by a new fiberglass pool instead of installing a traditional spa made by the pool company by the pool. Obviously the colors will not match. Aesthetically, how much of an issue will this be do you think?

Are there randomized controlled studies of microsilk? No there are not. Only observational case studies. Having dealt with my own seriously painful skin condition that didn’t respond to all the usual dermatologist methods which cost a fortune in meds and dr visits not to mention time off work and having to find a cure on my own based on a single observational case study, I don’t automatically poo-poo claims that make theoretical sense that also have case studies to back them up. Trust me, skin conditions especially are ones that people will go to the ends of the earth to cure/treat effectively. So why hasn’t Jason done the clinical trials? They are VERY expensive to do. You have to manufacture enough of the units and basically give them away. Then you have to pay the participants for a minimum of a year. Oh and let’s not forget the placebo arm too.Then pay the research heads to follow the participants and pay them to write the results up. Jason is in the business of tubs. Not medical therapy devices. They just happened upon microsilk’s additional benefits while investigating a new tub therapy. That means the vast majority of their research monies go into new tub designs and new water therapies as that’s what brings in the big bucks. Word of mouth on microsulk is bringing in enough business to at least keep the technology relevant. Even still, most dermatologists will hold it out as a last resort because if the cost ($1-2k) while they prescribe creams/lotions/pills/that don’t even work half as well that the individual will have $1-2k invested in within a year or so. The new autoimmune meds you see advertised on tv are a minimum $1k per treatment. So if microsilj works, it’s a bargain.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 05:58:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42