What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions for Hot Spring Freshwater (salt) Owners  (Read 19173 times)

billymac

Questions for Hot Spring Freshwater (salt) Owners
« on: August 31, 2019, 11:04:58 am »
We've had our Hot Spring Grandee for a little over a month now and have been loving it.

I do have a couple of questions though for those who have one or know about care and feeding of their Freshwater salt system.

How often do you find yourselves adding chlorine granules? I understand this question is relative to use, but I find that even after fairly light use, say 2-3 people soaking for 20-30 minutes that with an output of say 5, the system doesn't always tend to keep up when testing with their freshwater test strips (test for both free and total). When I go to test it the next day close to 24 hours later, the test will show little to no color.

For example, even if I crank it up, or select the "boost" function (24 hour output of 10), after 5 or 6 soakers that even 24 hours+ later there will be no color change on the test strip.

All other water tests are showing in target range and the salt system status indicator is showing "ok" and always between the 9:45 - 12:00 green range on the dial. If we don't use it for a few days with all water properties in the target zone, the chlorine level holds, but as soon as we soak, it drops to a white color on the strip, even 1-2 days later.

I have no problem adding chlorine, but I want to make sure I don't maybe have something else going on.

Any general advice or guidance here is greatly appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Questions for Hot Spring Freshwater (salt) Owners
« on: August 31, 2019, 11:04:58 am »

billymac

Re: Questions for Hot Spring Freshwater (salt) Owners
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 11:11:10 am »
Hey, one other quick question! Any tips/tricks for water line cleaning while full? Nothing serious, but after a month of fairly heavy use I do have some buildup/hazing in certain areas that doesn't wipe off super easily.

Steph135

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 11:18:41 am »
We have had our Caldera Niagara since June, and it has the same Freshwater salt system. 

When it is just the two of us, the system works just fine, but we do shower or wipe down before we get in.

We have concluded it does not work up to par when there are more people.  My family visited it, and then we had a small gathering of people where we really tested it.  We had seven in at one time for about one hour.  We set it on boost, and that just seemed to be a joke.  We had to add quite a lot of additional chlorine to get all the gunk out. The PH ended up very high too, so we had super cloudy water, for the first time, after this gathering.

The majority of the time, we have very clear and lovely water, but I think we have learned now, boost is not all the salesperson said it was nor is the salt system.  I find myself checking on it weekly even though I'm only supposed to have to check on it every ten days.   I told my husband let's give it a year and reassess whether we want to keep it or move to another water care system. 

After our cloudy water last week, I was going to write in here and see if anyone had anything to say about this freshwater system, as I was ready to get rid of it then. 

Steph135

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 11:24:34 am »
Also, for the two of us, we have been keeping it at a 7.

billymac

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 11:36:53 am »
Thanks Steph135,

Yeah, I'm just looking for some real world anecdotal advice. Smart enough to know there's a difference between sales/marketing and real world use, but wanted to make sure I didn't have something else going on with the system as I was hoping for a little better results. Love the feel of the water and we've had zero issues with the other water chemistry. Water is always crystal clear and inviting.

I do think it's kind of funny that in the "after each use" section of the laminated care guide they give you that it says, "Note-if you use your tub with a higher number of bathers than normal, add 1/4 scoop (scoop is 2 oz total) of Natural Chemistry Spa Chlorine and run your jets for at least 1/2 hour to activate extra sanitizing of your tub. Alternatively, you can opt to active the Boost function on the main control panel."

Like I said, I have no issue throwing a little chlorine in there after heavy use, but it sure does seem like the occasional 2-3 users shouldn't have to.

Thanks again for the replies.

Anybody else?

swilly1000

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 12:22:00 pm »
I am certainly no expert but it seems to me that manufacturers will market sanitization systems to appeal to people who are understandably concerned about gross water.  I suspect this is another one of those areas where the sizzle beats the steak and that those systems are more bark than bite.  Hydropool's "self cleaning tubs" (WTF?!) and salt water systems come to mind.

I don't have a big bather load most of the time so I don't have the experience to report on that.  But after ten months of use I've gained a pretty good comfort level on water maintenance and chemical use. I've resolved a few minor cloudy/green water issues and now have the confidence and feel for how to deal with it and maintain nice clear balanced water. Getting your water tested at the dealer periodically is key as well in confirming that things are as expected on the water front.

I use Spa Marvel in my tub and I believe it really does reduce the need for chemicals.  It also affects the chlorine readings on my text strips.  Even though I'm diligent about sanitizing after each soak the readings for chlorine on my strips are at or near zero. I think the Spa Marvel has something to do with that.

I think the other point that needs to be accepted is that keeping your water clean and balanced requires attention and a little time.  There's no substitute for that, especially a manufacturer's miracle on board system that doesn't do (as much) as it is marketed to do.

Just sayin'
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:25:05 pm by swilly1000 »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 01:52:25 pm »
Are either of you using a mineral stick in your filter with the freshwater salt system?  I have a Geneva with it (and sell Caldera Spas) and have had good luck with the system. It took about a week for me to get everything regulated but since it has been running fine. I’ve had my tub since late November. I run my output at 5 and typically shock with liquid chlorine once a month or so. I aim to run my chlorine level at a 1ppm level. Use my tub 4-5 times a week usually in morning then in the evening with my wife and sometimes with my kids. Haven’t had the cloudy water yet. Did get foamy for a few days after I had a birthday party at my house. Bunch of kids used it at the party. Had to shock twice with liquid chlorine to get rid of foam. I’ve sold a bunch of these systems. Have had a couple people have some trouble with it but when I’ve had them add the mineral stick to the filter the issues have dissipated. Currently have one customer who is having a hard time with it but I think he is on the right track and will be corrected soon. Try running in with a mineral stick. I bet that helps greatly.

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 04:46:16 pm »
As Hottubguy stated, the mineral stick will help as it is an additional sanitizer and also allows for a lower chlorine level.  I personally think 5 is way to low of a setting for a Grandee.  I recommend to my customers 7-8 based on usage.  Boost does work but user demand can exceed the rate at which boost creates chlorine.  If you can prepare ahead of time, boost prior to the party.  With any water care routine, being proactive will always yield better results than being reactive.  A couple of other things to consider.  You should really switch from using granular chlorine to liquid chlorine.  By doing so you prevent the buildup of CYA which eventually will reduce the effectiveness of the chlorine and/or create a chlorine lock.  I would also see if your dealer can do a phosphate test.  High phosphates can cause issues with any system, salt, chlorine, bromine, @ease, etc.

So far, I have had success with Freshwater Salt.  I do have 2-3 customers that have had more difficulty than others but overall customer satisfaction has been high. 

Steph135

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 06:31:32 pm »
We are using a mineral stick, and we are able to keep the chlorine levels quite low with crystal clear water.  Our system, for the two of us, has remained steady at 7, but I just bumped it to 8 to see what it does.

When we had the 7 people over, I did start the boost that morning before.  We are having people over again, so will start the boost tomorrow, but I think we'll add additional chlorine in addition to the boost, as well as adding chlorine periodically, and we will be ready to give it a very good shock after.  Actually, after tomorrow, it will be about time to take the filter out, soak it, shock it, etc.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 09:00:26 pm »
We are using a mineral stick, and we are able to keep the chlorine levels quite low with crystal clear water.  Our system, for the two of us, has remained steady at 7, but I just bumped it to 8 to see what it does.

When we had the 7 people over, I did start the boost that morning before.  We are having people over again, so will start the boost tomorrow, but I think we'll add additional chlorine in addition to the boost, as well as adding chlorine periodically, and we will be ready to give it a very good shock after.  Actually, after tomorrow, it will be about time to take the filter out, soak it, shock it, etc.

After the boost cycle ends what is your chlorine reading at?  What does it start at?

billymac

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 10:25:40 am »
Thanks folks for the replies, much appreciated. Couple follow up questions.

What specifically are these mineral sticks you speak of? I've not heard of them, nor had a chance to ask my dealer about them yet. We just have the metal stick that is part of the Freshwater system, which we are supposed to change out every 3-4 months. I'm assuming you're talking about something in addition to that?

Also, on the liquid chlorine, can you recommend a specific product I should be looking at? I'll need to do the research on CYA. Heard of it, but have not investigated.

Thanks again for the replies.

castletonia

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 11:16:54 am »
Freshwater Silver Ion Sanitizer.  The metal stick you are referencing is what we are talking about.  Liquid chlorine is bleach.  I provide my customers with bleach on startup.  Plain old bleach.  Do not use the splash-less, fragranced, or concentrated bleach, just regular old bleach.

Steph135

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 12:20:42 pm »

After the boost cycle ends what is your chlorine reading at?  What does it start at?

When I set it up for boost, we are usually super low.  About 1, but I don't know legit readings after the boost, as I always end up adding additional chlorine after the boost cycle.  I just set it for boost this morning in anticipation of the people tonight, and I added additional chlorine, so it is at a solid 2 right now.  I'll take a reading later. I'm interested to see where it will be at later in the day.

Steph135

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 12:23:28 pm »
After reading suggestions here, it seems we are doing it all right.  We added the mineral stick within a few weeks of having the hot tub.  We have always used bleached, and as I said, when it is the two of us, we can keep it at a steady 7 that gives us minimal chlorine, but it is still clear.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »
I’m interested to see your readings later. When I do a boost cycle my chlorine goes up
Above 5. Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Have you had the water checked for phosphates?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42