What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: PDC ?  (Read 8271 times)

silversun

PDC ?
« on: August 26, 2019, 03:02:47 pm »
Has anyone ever heard of these guys? Chris Wheatly is pitching them on his hot tub universe site, and posted a video of a factory tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QciLVdpgjs

I've never heard of them before, wanted to know if anyone else had any experience w/ them.

Hot Tub Forum

PDC ?
« on: August 26, 2019, 03:02:47 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: PDC ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 04:04:01 pm »
There is a small dealer of them near me. Don’t know much about them. I’m sure they are paying him for the positive review because that’s how his site works. It’s not really a independent review site it’s a pay to play site like most of the other review pages out there. I do think at one point they made the shells for endless pools before Watkins bought them. Not sure if they still do or not

BrwDistribution

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 06:10:35 pm »
From What I have heard from Gecko staff they make a good product ... they are expensive too.

swilly1000

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 01:12:48 am »
I’m sure they are paying him for the positive review because that’s how his site works.

Clearly he is being compensated. But his deal is to want to see the factory first hand because above all else he's concerned about build quality. He's like Mike Holmes....make it right.

Sure he's getting paid.  The real question is "Do I believe him?"

I do.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:39:58 am »
I’m sure they are paying him for the positive review because that’s how his site works.

Clearly he is being compensated. But his deal is to want to see the factory first hand because above all else he's concerned about build quality. He's like Mike Holmes....make it right.

I do.

Only problem with that is he recommends Coast even though he's never been to the factory and doesn't know much about the tubs.  I think some of what he says is valid and some is to fit his own agenda.  I get it he needs to make a living too

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 11:55:43 am »

I do.

Only problem with that is he recommends Coast even though he's never been to the factory and doesn't know much about the tubs.  I think some of what he says is valid and some is to fit his own agenda.  I get it he needs to make a living too

We will all agree on some points but that video is such a Marketing sham in many ways. I loved how he played up that PDC has repeatable sub-assemblies built for their plumbing. Who doesn't do that? That the equivalent of him giving them kudos for wrapping the spa for delivery.

Shame on PDC for letting him do that, he's just trying to legitimize his opinion as gospel and using them. Its his attempt to create a "Consumer Digest Best Buy Award" type situation. 
220, 221, whatever it takes!

swilly1000

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 07:50:07 am »
For sure he is pretty over the top in that video.  Kinda obvious actually.  But no more so than than the haters on this forum for him and his brand.  My favourite are the people here who trash him for selling spas out of his garage. Funny.

swilly1000

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 08:05:13 am »
Shame on PDC for letting him do that, he's just trying to legitimize his opinion as gospel and using them.

Another hater example.  Total bullshit.  The guy is passionate about his work, trying to tear down the crap that is sadly so very prevalent in this market and he gets dismissed (time and again) as an evangelical snake oil salesman.

He provides a balanced counter weight to the shameful murkiness of this industry and I for one am glad for his passionate viewpoint.  I meant it when I compared him to Mike Holmes.  Yes he's getting paid.  But what he "preaches" comes from the heart, not his wallet.

Stop misrepresenting his passion for "gospel" haters.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 10:32:15 am »
For sure he is pretty over the top in that video.  Kinda obvious actually.  But no more so than than the haters on this forum for him and his brand.  My favourite are the people here who trash him for selling spas out of his garage. Funny.

If you're saying he comes off like a salesman like some on this forum who are salesmen then I agree. The problem is he's trying to come off as some kind of consumer advocate which he clearly is not.

swilly1000

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 11:07:06 am »
I don't think he is deceptively trying to come off as a consumer advocate.  He makes no bones about his dealer status.  What he repeatedly says is that he is trying to counter balance the marketing spin and build quality bullshit that permeates this market.

He provides a fantastic viewpoint upon which the consumer can rely.   Don't get me wrong, I'm not drinking all his Kool-Aid but there is no question in my mind that this community is far better off for his presence.

silversun

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 12:00:15 pm »
I was surprised he's willing to pitch them based on their use of insulation which he's routinely bashed. He does address it, but it takes away from his credibility a little. I admire the passion, but that point is difficult to reconcile, and it left me wondering why he'd consider PDC.

And if he's not mentioning his conflict of interest (eg doing a paid advertisement) then yes, he's being deceptive.

d00nut

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 12:26:24 pm »
Chris has gained a little respect from me with that last video.  My biggest issue with him is he will pitch that he knows everything and his way is really the only and best way to build a hot tub.  I will argue, there are other ways outside of what he recommends in making a good hot tub.

In this video, he said that the owner of PDC and him disagreed on insulation, but he still makes a good product.  That showed some humility (kind of) on his part, and an acknowledgment, again on his part, saying that there might be other good ways to make a good hot tub.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 12:29:52 pm »
Chris has gained a little respect from me with that last video.  My biggest issue with him is he will pitch that he knows everything and his way is really the only and best way to build a hot tub.  I will argue, there are other ways outside of what he recommends in making a good hot tub.

In this video, he said that the owner of PDC and him disagreed on insulation, but he still makes a good product.  That showed some humility (kind of) on his part, and an acknowledgment, again on his part, saying that there might be other good ways to make a good hot tub.

Unless he was somehow paid for this video/"visit" and then its not humility, its putting $$ first.

Sam

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 06:43:03 pm »
I don't think he is deceptively trying to come off as a consumer advocate.  He makes no bones about his dealer status.  What he repeatedly says is that he is trying to counter balance the marketing spin and build quality bullshit that permeates this market.

He provides a fantastic viewpoint upon which the consumer can rely.   Don't get me wrong, I'm not drinking all his Kool-Aid but there is no question in my mind that this community is far better off for his presence.

He never once on his website or videos mentions that he is a dealer for master spas.  Plain and simple, he is being deceptive. 

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 07:45:16 am »
He never once on his website or videos mentions that he is a dealer for master spas.  Plain and simple, he is being deceptive.

He is nothing more than a Master Spa shill.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 07:45:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42