What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: beachcomber or hydropool  (Read 29404 times)

BobRex

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: beachcomber or hydropool
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2004, 04:31:05 pm »
I have a question for the Beachcomber sales people.
When I looked at BCs I asked the dealer about how they service leaks.  I asked that in the context that I didn't see any way to remove the skirting.  The dealer told me that they work from underneath, lifting the spa on a fork lift, digging out the foam, then re-foaming.
Now, since water can be a tricky SOB and the leak may show itself feet from the actual leak, how much of that foam has to be dug out, and how big of a pain is it working from underneath the unit?

I'm serious about this, I took BC off my list when I heard that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2004, 04:31:05 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2004, 04:40:41 pm »
Are they going to drive the forklift into your backyard? Will they be able to get the tub out of the backyard if the foam is full of water?

But seriousy, leaks are of minor concern.

HTMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

SteveL

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2004, 05:08:21 pm »
I asked the same question concerning the Beachcomber panels on another forum. I had hope that there was a way to remove the panels for easier repairs, especially if I wanted to attempt a leak fix on my own, once the warranty ran out. I did get a response relating to the forklift method and another one stating that the individual boards had to be removed (ripped-off) in the effected areas. I'm having a difficult time believing that either of these methods could be true in a well engineered product. Does anybody really know the truth to this removable panel issue? Surly there must be some hidden clips or retainers somewhere allowing you access. Most of the brands I looked at have screws on the outside or some other visible means of removal. I would love to purchase a Beachcomber.  I like the depth of their tubs, their use of only one pump (530 model), not using pillows, etc. This access issue, if it's true, is no trivial matter to me. It suggests expensive repairs once the warranty expires and little chance of do-it-yourself servicing. Can any Beachcomber owners or otherwise comment on this? Thanks in advance, SteveL

RDF

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2004, 10:34:39 pm »
When I bought my tub last year I asked the dealer the same thing. He showed me a tub that he pulled apart to show people the insulation, when it sold he put the slats back together.Tongue and Groove slats I guess.. The fork truck thing sounds a little extreme to me.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2004, 11:13:01 pm »
The tounge and groove slats are difficult to remove with the tub on the ground. Take a close look and think about it for a second. The slats are start 1" above the ground. How far under the acrylic/fiberglass shell are they inserted?  :)

Pooldevil

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2004, 04:50:10 am »
A good Beachcomber dealer will have no problem with leak repair ...
If you do something often enough you get good at it !!! ::)

Sorry Steve ... I cant help it
;)

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2004, 12:58:44 am »
I asked Beachcomber directly about servicing their spas in the event of a leak. This is what they said. "this can be a problem if the leak is in the main enclosure. This is due mainly to difficulties in accessing the inside of our spa housings and then having to remove and replace the foam insulation" They went on to say -

"However, leaks tend to only be become a problem as our spas get older"

If you want to talk to Beachcomber yourself you can call them on 1-800-663-6557

Steve K
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 12:59:53 am by TALKCalgary.com »

RDF

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2004, 10:33:30 am »
Who cares if the slats are difficult to remove, that's what the warranty and the dealer are here for. The oil filter on my Toyota truck couldn't be in a worse spot. Maybe I should have bought something else.

SteveL

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2004, 12:32:32 pm »
RDF, no offense, but I would care once the warranty was over. Remember, the Beachcomber has a relatively short warranty unless you pay to upgrade it. Also consider that once these boards are removed it could be difficult to restore the undamaged looks of the skirting. And, what kind of skill can you count on from your service person? I don't know if these board are nailed, screwed from the inside, glued or what. I would think that damage is possible with removal.

RDF

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2004, 03:58:45 pm »
No offense taken, I just think if someones gonna worry about everything that can go wrong, why buy a tub? How do the slats get put on in the first place?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2004, 04:30:20 pm »
RDF;

Are you suggesting that maintenance and ease of repair should be non-issues? I suppose if you have unlimited resources to pay someone to fix and maintain your appliances it wouldn't matter.

If a glued fitting comes apart and I can get to it, I can have my 12 year old execute the repair. If I need tear skirting and foam apart to get to it, I think the path of least resistence might appeal to me.

BTW the slats are tounge and grove, with finishing nails. The corners are one piece. If you have to destroy one slat, at least three are required for the fix (if you know what you are doing, likely more than that the first time).

HTMan

RDF

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2004, 11:22:35 pm »
Obviously it is easier to get in there if the whole side comes off, but for 5 years I don't have to worry about it. After that if I get a leak or two, I'll survive.
I didn't want to buy a tub I didn't like because it has removeable sides. By the way, not knocking Marquis because they make a great tub, but I think their sides look kind of flimsey, a little pressure on the side and it caves in. Those tongue and groove slats may be a pain in the ..., but they sure look good and are solid as a rock.  That's about it for me on this topic.

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2004, 12:46:39 pm »
After comparing hydropool and beachcomber, my Hydropool dealer wanted me to wait to see a new line from Hydropool called Serenity.  It had new molds and was updated.  It seemed to have everything I needed at a much more reasonable price.  I'm giving up the better filtration system that Hydropool has exclusively, but am gaining more tub and better features for less money.  I bought the Serenity 6000 elite plus, and am now waiting for delivery.  Steve....what do you think of that???

Bobhol

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2004, 12:46:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42