What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First chemical purchase list  (Read 2334 times)

Chops1857

First chemical purchase list
« on: June 21, 2019, 09:25:42 pm »
Hey all,

My tub will be delivered next week. I’m going to buy my first batch of chemicals. My system will have the Gecko in.clear sodium bromide system in it. So it uses salt to generate bromine. I’m a touch confused what sort of shock I should use. The manual doesn’t discuss it. As I understand it, all systems benefit from using oxidizing shock, so I should get one. But what kind? MPS? Non-chlorine?

Also, I know I need to get the alkalinity adjusted and set before the ph. Is there a product that adjusts the alkalinity without effecting the ph? And then when I need to adjust the ph, is there a product I use that will do that without messing with the alkalinity?

Alternatively, it sounds like Leisure Times Spa Up/Spa Down product handles total alkalinity and ph at the same time and I would not adjust them independently of each other. Have people had success with this product? That sounds nice and easy.

I was planning on getting leisure time or spa guard products. I just like their packaging and reputation. But I’m open to suggestions. Also, are all hose filters the same? The $25 rv filter from Walmart fine?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:49:48 pm by Chops1857 »

Hot Tub Forum

First chemical purchase list
« on: June 21, 2019, 09:25:42 pm »

Ralith

Re: First chemical purchase list
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:00:47 pm »
Some of this depends on your water. For myself, my alkalinity was nonexistant, so to add enough ph up to increase it would put ph off the chart. In my case I use both alkalinity increaser (Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate) and ph up (soda ash or sodium carbonate). Both products affect both alkalinity and ph, but each respectively much higher then the other. So what I normally do for my hot tub is get the alkalinity to the bottom range or just below and then adjust ph. Since soda ash will also increase alkalinity a bit I usually end up with good in both ranges. If you get the alkalinity perfect and then need to increase ph much, you'll often end up with really high alkalinity.

I use granular chlorine since @ ease is so expensive and a non chlorine shock every few weeks or as needed. Also use a little anti-foam weekly, probably because we're not great at showering before.

My wife and I use tub daily for 30 minutes or so each day.

Giz

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 01:24:21 am »
I'm kinda new to hot tubs myself but I have three of them. I am buying all my supplies and chemicals from spadepot.com and they  have a lot of info on their site about how to do your chemicals.  Also they will answer the phone and help you figure it out. 
I wish you the best
Elliot

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 01:24:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42