What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Back in the Spa market  (Read 6556 times)

elindi2

Back in the Spa market
« on: June 22, 2019, 05:53:59 pm »
Hi all!

Been a long time, so long that I cancelled the email address and lost the login details for my old user account. At the time, 2006-ish, you all were very patient and helpful about my saga that ended in a new J-220 under a rebuilt gazebo in the redwoods. I loved that setup!

Since then I've moved about 60 miles north to Sonoma County, and yup, the new house has another decrepit hot tub. I've given up fantasizing about running into Yard Crashers at the big box store, so starting the process now of researching a new tub, as part of a bigger hardscape project.

I don't even know if Jacuzzi still makes the J-220, but I'd be looking for something similar, very simple for quiet soaks while listening for coyotes. Today I went to one of the local dealers and looked at some Artesian-made tubs:
  • Garden Spa Iris, quoted at about $5K otd
  • South Seas Deluxe 735b, at about $6,700 otd

Now, looking at the literature I brought home about the Iris, the brochure indicates it's "Ozone-ready" with the Ozonator as an option. I asked about ozone, but I don't see it in the quote. If that's extra for the Iris, and the 735B is a better spa, I'm pretty clear which direction I'd go there. Any advice there?

I have a little time to decide, so I probably will go look at Jacuzzi again as well - I don't even see that it's possible to get the 220 any more.

The main thing I'm concerned about is our water. We're on a well, and the water is super hard. The salesperson this morning said they can include a carbon pre-filter that is attached to the end of the filling hose, to remove a lot of those minerals. Will this work? If not, what do you suggest? We have enough problems with our irrigation system and our indoor fixtures that this is a big concern.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Back in the Spa market
« on: June 22, 2019, 05:53:59 pm »

Sam

Re: Back in the Spa market
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 01:47:25 pm »
Both of those spas are well made, reliable, energy efficient hot tubs.  The Iris is very basic with mediocre jet power.  The 735b is going to have more powerful jets, more bells and whistles, and should have ozone built-in.  It will also have a 3 year component warranty vs. the 1 year on the Iris.  I would personally pick the 735b but you mentioned specifically that you just want basic swirling water and the Iris does that very well.  I would make sure it has ozone and full-foam if you go that route though.

Sam

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:49:02 pm »
Forgot to address the carbon pre-filter; we seem to have good luck with those.

elindi2

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 06:08:57 pm »
Thanks very much Sam . . . appreciate the response.

Both have full foam - I'm told that's a requirement in CA, for what it's worth. My thinking is, if adding ozone to the Iris brings it much closer in cost to the 735B, I'll probably go for the upgrade. More space for friends, and more appealing on resale of the house, perhaps :)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 07:48:56 pm »
Hi all!

Been a long time, so long that I cancelled the email address and lost the login details for my old user account. At the time, 2006-ish, you all were very patient and helpful about my saga that ended in a new J-220 under a rebuilt gazebo in the redwoods. I loved that setup!

Since then I've moved about 60 miles north to Sonoma County, and yup, the new house has another decrepit hot tub. I've given up fantasizing about running into Yard Crashers at the big box store, so starting the process now of researching a new tub, as part of a bigger hardscape project.

I don't even know if Jacuzzi still makes the J-220, but I'd be looking for something similar, very simple for quiet soaks while listening for coyotes. Today I went to one of the local dealers and looked at some Artesian-made tubs:
  • Garden Spa Iris, quoted at about $5K otd
  • South Seas Deluxe 735b, at about $6,700 otd

Now, looking at the literature I brought home about the Iris, the brochure indicates it's "Ozone-ready" with the Ozonator as an option. I asked about ozone, but I don't see it in the quote. If that's extra for the Iris, and the 735B is a better spa, I'm pretty clear which direction I'd go there. Any advice there?

I have a little time to decide, so I probably will go look at Jacuzzi again as well - I don't even see that it's possible to get the 220 any more.

The main thing I'm concerned about is our water. We're on a well, and the water is super hard. The salesperson this morning said they can include a carbon pre-filter that is attached to the end of the filling hose, to remove a lot of those minerals. Will this work? If not, what do you suggest? We have enough problems with our irrigation system and our indoor fixtures that this is a big concern.

Thanks!

I wouldn't even put ozone as any importance in my choice. How it feels siting in it and the dealer. Unless it has 24/7 water circulation O3 will not make a difference in keeping your water clean.
Retired

elindi2

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 09:01:33 pm »
Hi again,

So after my original post I eliminated the Iris and decided that of the two, the Artesian/South Seas would be better. I've also looked now at a few others, still feel the Artesian is the best bang for the buck, but there are two others I'm now considering. Work starts on our new back yard this week, so I'm hoping to make a decision and have specs for the contractor by Friday.

Artesian/South Seas 735B, $6550 including cover, lifter, delivery, pre-filter, and starter chems
Sundance Prado, $6464 including cover, lifter, step, starter chems (not sure if delivery is included)
Jacuzzi J-325, $7259 including cover, lifter, delivery, pre-filter, step and starter chems

All prices include sales tax.

Not sure why I'm holding onto the Jacuzzi possibility still, as it's so much more but it's last year's model and they are letting it go at a floor-model price apparently. I really like the shell/cabinet color combination, sort of a coppery textured shell that's not available with the others. Is that a good deal or should I stick with the others?

A couple of other questions:

First, I am confused about the preferability of Ozone, UV, or both in combination.  The Artesian includes Ozone, the Jacuzzi and Sundance both have "Clearray" which I gather is UV. All have the option to have both for about $300 additional.

Second, we are lucky we are having a new patio poured - it will be concrete with colored aggregate. I am guessing we should not add the aggregate for the hot tub area? The contractor will do extra reinforcement where the tub is to be installed, and luckily we have power service already from the old hot-tub, it just has to be run to the new tub location.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:03:34 pm by elindi2 »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 08:01:55 am »
Ozone or UV or both in combination, they will help sanitize your tubs water. They WILL NOT sanitize your tubs water.

To sanitize your tubs water you will need chlorine or bromine.

You could use chlorine or bromine alone to sanitize your tubs water.

But you can't use ozone or UV alone to sanitize your tubs water.
Retired

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 02:45:01 pm »
I would ask about the life of the ozone, and replacement costs if you're indeed taking the deep dive.  I agree with Tman - Ozone, while nice, does not negate the need for a sanitizer and regular water chemistry maintenance.  Like a filter, it is good to have but won't keep the water clean once it "goes south" on you.

If you're going to really get into these stats / data - find out what kind of ozone: Is it UV or CD, or both?  What kind of CD - Plasma?  MicroCell?  What is the expected lifespan?  How much to replace?  Most people don't realize ozone goes out early in the lifespan of a spa b/c it is attached to an air line and erroneously think that since they see bubbles, it is still working.

Furthermore, I'd move to the top of the list the "feel" of the tub.  Have you wet tested any of them?  That is the #1 thing I'd put on the list and have everything revolve around that. 

I'll limit my opinions to the brand I used to sell of the ones you've mentioned:  South Seas 735 Model.  My only complaint was the operating sound level.  I felt like the motors ran a tad louder due to the lack of mounting brackets / rubber mounts.  This was a few years back and this might have been since rectified. 

However, I would wet test the units in question and go from there. Sundance, Jacuzzi, and Artesian Spas are all wonderful brands.  I am confident you'll be happy in whatever of the 3 you decide upon. 

I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

swilly1000

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 12:23:37 am »
Artesian.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 10:59:43 am »
Artesian.
[/quote

Not saying I agree or disagree but why Artesian over jacuzzi/Sundance?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 07:37:08 pm »
Artesian.
[/quote

Not saying I agree or disagree but why Artesian over jacuzzi/Sundance?

Less proprietary parts in Artesian
Retired

Sam

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 11:31:01 am »

I'll limit my opinions to the brand I used to sell of the ones you've mentioned:  South Seas 735 Model.  My only complaint was the operating sound level.  I felt like the motors ran a tad louder due to the lack of mounting brackets / rubber mounts.  This was a few years back and this might have been since rectified.

This has indeed been rectified.

elindi2

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 05:51:12 pm »
Thank you all for weighing in!

I am leaning strongly Artesian at this point, and yes I did test that one and the Jacuzzi - didn't notice a big issue with the noise. The Jacuzzi felt a bit deeper which I liked, but it does not have a cooldown seat - being "of a certain age" sudden body temp fluctuations are a thing in my life now, sigh.

And yes, I used chlorine, Vermonter-style in my old Jacuzzi. That worked very well, and I would expect to continue, in combination with the ozone. I did replace the ozone in my previous tub when we sold the house, about 5 years later - as I recall it was not a huge deal, about $250.

Thanks again . . .  :D pix to follow!

elindi2

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 07:10:02 pm »
Hi Everyone!

Well it's been a journey - refurbishing our backyard hardscape with a new patio and deck to create a home for the Artesian. It arrived yesterday and got connected to juice today! So I'm looking forward to a soak under the stars tonight . . . thanks so much for the advice  8)

We started August 1 like this ("Before" pic):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JdPKHDLteWK5dEfS7

And as of yesterday ("After" pic):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y1DzvRtvJ1rbuNn49

Quite the journey!

Thanks again,

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:20:40 pm by elindi2 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 07:10:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42