What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Underground conduit for future wiring....  (Read 2591 times)

Fcat

Underground conduit for future wiring....
« on: June 01, 2019, 03:56:09 pm »
In laws are having their backyard totally re-modeled. They don't want to get a hot tub yet but i suggested they ran some sort of underground conduit with a draw wire/rope in it to come out of the ground next to the foundation wall near where the breaker box will go and the other end to come out near the other end of the house near where their electric fuse supply board is.

Anyone done this in the past ? metal or plastic conduit ? 1" diameter enough ? they are digging out 2 to 3 feet all around the back so depth isn't really a problem
Just looking for thoughts etc, I'll check out the code for our local county ( In VA)

Hot Tub Forum

Underground conduit for future wiring....
« on: June 01, 2019, 03:56:09 pm »

bud16415

Re: Underground conduit for future wiring....
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 05:25:10 pm »
It’s not a bad idea. Planning ahead might save digging up a lot of lawn and landscape.

I would go bigger than 1” depending on the length of the run and how many turns it makes. It is easy to get a string thru the conduit after it is in with an air compressor or even a shop vac. Tie a small scrap of cloth to the string and blow or suck it thru. Then tie that to a pull rope.

The wire size is a function of the current and the length of the wires. Talk with who will be hooking the tub up eventually and ask them what they would like in terms of a conduit. After you get it in cap the ends.

Debbie1011

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 10:17:13 am »
We just finished a new concrete patio in preparation for a future hot tub. I ran 1 1/2 inch pvc schedule 40 electrical conduit under the 6” slab and capped the ends. It’s a lot easier than digging a ditch.

Fcat

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 03:20:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies. After doing some research and looking at local codes etc it appears if i bury it 24" below ground (which the contractors will be doing) i can just bury the correct spec underground direct burial wire without any conduit! i just have to run it in conduit 18" where it goes into the ground and 18" comes up out of the ground!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 03:20:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42