What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Concrete Slab cost  (Read 8090 times)

rpabech

Concrete Slab cost
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:24:52 pm »
I purchased the Hot Spring Grandee 2019 last weekend and now working on getting the Electrical work and Concrete Slab done. I live in Massachusetts (expensive around here), but I was not expecting to be that much. Most people here mention cost for a cement slab  (10x10 and 6'') to be around 1k or a little more. My back yard is flat and easy access and the quotes I am getting are around 3.5k (got one around 3.5 and another for 4k) which is absurd. I feel like since I live in a nice area people tend to charge more because of that. Any one in MA which has a good contractor to provide the contact?

I am definitely thinking on cancelling my order if this would be the price for the concrete slab (Electrical is around 1.5k which is what I expected).

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:11:47 pm by rpabech »

Hot Tub Forum

Concrete Slab cost
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:24:52 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Concrete Slab cost
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 07:20:42 pm »
Where in Mass are you?

rpabech

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 10:05:47 pm »
Newton

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 10:14:31 pm »
Unfortunately my guys won’t go up that far. Guessing you bought at NE Spas. Denise or anybody up there have any referrals for you?  I’m down on the southcoast and my Inground pool installers do them on the weekends for me. You won’t get it done for $1000 around here but it shouldn’t cost 4K. That seems real excessive to me. Have you thought about doing pavers?  10x10 pad would be a quick job for someone. Up in your area you need to order a minimum of 7 yards of concrete on a truck which gets you to about $1000 plus prep work, rebar and forming it.

rpabech

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 09:59:43 am »
The only reason I am looking into the concrete is because the Pavers can move (I do have a Paver Patio which does move a little due the soil every 3-4 years I have to readjust them) and also the Grandee model do require a concrete slab in the manual (and I am not sure if this will affect warranty or not).
I was ok to pay till $2000 (maybe a little more) for it due the higher cost of living, but definetely not $3.5k+

Yes, I bought at NE SPA (which seems to be the more reputable dealer around the area).

I will give Denise a call.

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 10:45:50 am »
You need less than 2 yards and to pay for 7 because of trucking cost is absurd. Small quantity concrete jobs are always a problem and 1.5 yard job is a little larger than a DIY project for most people. There are trucks now that pour just the amount required Volumetric Concrete delivery is what you need to search for. Along with a handyman service not a full time concrete service. They put the high price on because they have a big crew and they can’t make money on a small job. So if you pay it then it is easy money for the trouble. A handy man will rent a small mixer and mix on site from bags. If it took him 10 hours at 50 per hour that would be 500 labor and another 500 for materials. 1000 is a very reasonable price IMO.

I personally would do pavers over a gravel base, or build a pressure treated deck and get the tub off the ground. My tub sits on a deck and I think the air circulation below the tub is a good thing for a tub.   

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 12:31:58 pm »
You need less than 2 yards and to pay for 7 because of trucking cost is absurd. Small quantity concrete jobs are always a problem and 1.5 yard job is a little larger than a DIY project for most people. There are trucks now that pour just the amount required Volumetric Concrete delivery is what you need to search for. Along with a handyman service not a full time concrete service. They put the high price on because they have a big crew and they can’t make money on a small job. So if you pay it then it is easy money for the trouble. A handy man will rent a small mixer and mix on site from bags. If it took him 10 hours at 50 per hour that would be 500 labor and another 500 for materials. 1000 is a very reasonable price IMO.

I personally would do pavers over a gravel base, or build a pressure treated deck and get the tub off the ground. My tub sits on a deck and I think the air circulation below the tub is a good thing for a tub.

That's how I do pads.  I think the problem he is going to have is it rained 22 days in April so everybody is so far behind that it will be weeks before someone can get out.  That's why I suggested calling Denise.  They have guys they work with

BullFrogSpasMN

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 04:52:46 pm »
I purchased the Hot Spring Grandee 2019 last weekend and now working on getting the Electrical work and Concrete Slab done. I live in Massachusetts (expensive around here), but I was not expecting to be that much. Most people here mention cost for a cement slab  (10x10 and 6'') to be around 1k or a little more. My back yard is flat and easy access and the quotes I am getting are around 3.5k (got one around 3.5 and another for 4k) which is absurd. I feel like since I live in a nice area people tend to charge more because of that. Any one in MA which has a good contractor to provide the contact?

I am definitely thinking on cancelling my order if this would be the price for the concrete slab (Electrical is around 1.5k which is what I expected).

Thanks

quite high, a 10' x 10' x 6" thick would come in around $1,600-$2,000 give or take depending on access (ie can they wheelbarrow into the backyard or do they need to rent a power buggy) have you tried craigslist, a lot of times you can find handymen who work for themselves who are much more competitive price-wise, a lot of times if you are calling around for a 10' x 10' these concrete companies like to give you the 'Go Away' we have bigger fish to fry price and that is what it seems you are getting now

rpabech

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 10:41:48 am »
I was able to get one contractor to do for 2.3k (believe me or not, one contractor gave me a 4-5k ballpark proposal yesterday). My lot is a little challenge since it is 4 feet higher than street level and requires a ramp to get on it. So I think I am going with this guys (I saw some of his work on a friend's house and it was pretty good).

Also for electrical the proposal I got $1.3k for the Electrical breaker install on a 60' run (+200 for permit and 200 for a 15' trench - 18'' deep). This guy is the dealer recommended and also knows the tubs and fill, test, get the tub prepared. This is more than the average paid here, but due the whole extra service he will do in connecting and turning the tub and testing if all is ok, I felt it was work the extra cash.

So all in all, 4k to get the tub setup.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:52:39 am by rpabech »

bud16415

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 11:39:36 am »
Just some thoughts in general on hot tub installation up north. We live near Erie Pa and have hard winters and rainy spring and falls much the same as yours to some extent. The greatest months IMO to enjoy a tub is the winter months and those cool rainy days when you are trapped inside.

I gave this a lot of thought as we have friends and family that located their tubs out away from the house and the locations are perfect for those clear summer nights star gazing.

In reality most of the time you will be going out clearing a path to the tub find the cover with a layer of snow or ice on it. and sitting in 103-104 f water with a cool drizzle coming down is not fun nor is putting on frozen slippers and robe and running back for the house only to have to come back out and treat and close up the tub.

I had the romantic location all set in my mind and then I picked the spot on the deck just 1 step from the door. I added a covered pergola that still allows great views of the great outdoors. The elevated wood deck allowed wires to be run under it without trenches and I added an outside water source that has selection for hot or cold water. The hot water makes short work of clearing ice and also is great for topping off the water level without chilling the water. I have also found very hot water outside is an excellent way of cleaning filters as cold water makes the greasy sticky film hang on and the hot melts it away. With the cracks between the deck boards water clears away and I get far less ice build up. Being close to the house there is no walking thru grass to get to the tub keeps the tub cleaner.

The way I looked at it a pressure treated deck will long outlast the tub wont cost anymore to build and solves all the concrete problems.

Not trying to say what is right for you, just passing on my experiences with what I see with others and how happy I did what I did with my install. Most dealers don’t spend a lot of time explaining what it is really like living with a tub or pool. When the unconvinced outweighs the pleasures of owning one is when people stop using them.  :)   

rpabech

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 12:32:09 pm »
Thanks. I completely agree. We could have picked a location further away from the house, but because of the reasons you listed we end up picking as close as possible (had to be at least 5' from the house since the metal gutter runs close and cannot be closer than 5' from the tub). So no more than 6 or 8 steps away from the back door. The way my house is setup if I add a pergola over the tub it will block the view from inside the house to outside, which is a good view and I really do not want to block it.

I am not sure the pressure treated deck would be an option but I would look into it (but as far as I know Grandee requires a cement slab and some people here in the forum even mention Warranty issues if not follow the requirements of the manual). Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:37:20 pm by rpabech »

bud16415

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 09:17:02 am »
I don’t see anyplace where Hot Springs says a deck is not allowed just that they suggest you have the structure built and approved for the weight. We have an 8x8 Caldera same parent company same weight as the Grandee on a wooden deck I designed for the 6000 pounds plus people. A low deck would be pretty easy to design for the weight as there is no column strength involved. It would add a little height though if that was a problem.

Here is what I found.
https://www.hotspring.com/blog/choosing-the-best-placement-for-your-hot-tub 

rpabech

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 01:34:20 pm »
Yes, they do. In the link you sent if you click in the pre-delivery instructions (or just the users manual of the Grandee) this is what it says in there:

*NOTE: A reinforced concrete pad at least four inches thick or a
deck that is able to withstand more than 125 lbs. per square foot is
required for the GRANDEE spa, and recommended for the ENVOY,
VANGUARD, ARIA, SOVEREIGN, PRODIGY and JETSETTER
spas.

I checked the pre-delivery instructions of the Caldera and it states something similar. Note that a deck will require the same amount of escavation, and probably more crushed stone and sand (+wood) in my case due the type of soil. So I am not sure I would be saving money. Also the wood will probably be more maintenance over the years.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:40:26 pm by rpabech »

bud16415

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 02:32:21 pm »
That sounds about right 8x8=64x125=8000 lbs.

I’m not sure of your soil type but a wood deck could rest on 9 pre-cast footings like this. At $8 each $72.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11538974919902514986?lsf=seller:8740,store:593359228780076379&prds=oid:756377398285457546&q=deck+footings&hl=en&ei=EHfQXJqmKNC45gLpoqjoBA&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwtr_mBRDeARIsALfBZA5nTmtJnHeFXTafPTANBFpW3PTwRVXoHaI5YjrCD3n2uSQpev-d5CgaAhb9EALw_wcB,gclsrc:aw.ds

Decking 5/4 x 6 PT x 10’ at $9 each x 20 $180
Framing 2x8 PT x 10’ at $12 each x 8 $96
Misc hangers and screws $100
Labor 12 hours at $50 per hour $600

$1048

A wood deck built from all ground contact pressure treated lumber not in contact with the ground will be around a very long time and should outlast the 20 year lifespan of the tub. Concrete is not without problems and often cracks also. I have no facts on if a tub with an ABS base pan has any advantages sitting on ventilated wood or ground level concrete. I feel safe in saying a tub without a base pan would do better being off the ground with a ventilated deck surface.

For me the selection of wood was made much easier as I’m a DIY and in your case I put the extra 600 in labor not spent into making the deck area much larger and making a spa area instead of just a base.

These are just my opinions and if flush to the ground is the look you are going for then concrete is the way to go. Just keep leaves and lawn trimmings away from the base and I would go as far as having the base poured with a slight pitch away from the house. Most people wont notice an inch in 10 foot. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 02:32:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42