What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with final decision  (Read 27715 times)

TALKCalgary.com

Re: Help with final decision
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2004, 09:15:47 pm »

So - if it only takes a few minutes to seal the base why don’t Beachcomber bother to do this simple task?

By the way, the point of sealing the base is not to keep out larger animals like mice. The idea is to keep out the damp as well as insects etc. Our local Arctic dealer keeps a display of Beachcombers he has traded in which are infested with everything from ants to mold.

My point exactly! We plan on placing our spa (when it finally arrives) on a brushed concrete patio. Since we don't want water or pests crawling under the kick board and making nests in all that foam, we asked our dealer to seal it for us.  

As you will find out this is a good forum. However, every time someone points out a feature that their manufacture can't provide, it's termed "bells and whistles" You have just came across one such example.

Steve K

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2004, 09:15:47 pm »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2004, 10:15:51 am »
As you will find out this is a good forum. However, every time someone points out a feature that their manufacture can't provide, it's termed "bells and whistles" You have just came across one such example.

Steve K

Wow. Nothing like extremes...  >:(

Here is another take on the "perils" of this board...

Many small and/or more aggressive (there seems to be a correlation) hot tub manufacturers -- and arctic is most certainly one of them -- over-engineer solutions to things which are usually not problems.  Dealers then use this over-engineered solution to a non-problem to do 1 of 2 things:

1) Create fear in potential customers.  Arctic (do some research) has a history of really laying on the fear big time.  And I have heard they aren't above "helping" their little dioramas prove the point they want to make.

2) Prey on customers ego by showing them "secrets" that "no one else" buying hot tubs seems to "know".  Anything to avoid the ol' cognitive dissonance, ya know?

Here is a revelation:

Your hot tub skirt is not hermetically sealed.  Adding a plastic base pan will not hermetically seal your hot tub.
Ants have been found in hot tubs with little plastic bases, shocking, I know, but don't let it rock anybody's world.

The thought that there is a magic bullet to problems such as pests (mice, ants, spiders, termites, water beetles, etc...) and molds *is* marketing BULLHOCKEY.  If you live in areas prone to mold (high humidity, rural?) your little ABS pan isn't going to stop it.

Ants will not nest in ground-contact rated lumber.  Nor will mold house in it.  Ground contact lumber is called ground contact lumber for a reason. If you don't believe that then don't argue it on a hot tub forum, go take it up with every structural engineer in the US.

Sometimes people propagate fear and lies because they need to perceive an advantage in whatever tub they purchased.

-Ed

« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 10:33:57 am by ebirrane »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2004, 02:14:41 pm »
A wise man once said

"That is an ingenious solution to a non existing problem".  (Col. Jeff Cooper)

But it is fun to debate, just don't take things too personally.  Attacking some questionable trait about my  stuff isn't the same as attacking me.  

Brewman
Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2004, 02:35:42 pm »
Very well written ebirrane. Sometimes the perceived value of something is just that. It's the same mentality that has caused manufacturers to offer the silly features that are cool for the first 6 months only.

The "fear factor" you mentioned is rampant in spa dealers.
I challenge anyone to walk into an Arctic (sorry for picking but they are notorious for it) and I guarantee you that leaks and freezing and rodents and floors rotting will be brought up at some point. I'm amazed they sell ANY spas? Go buy a sled if this purchase is as horrific as they make it sound... ::)

I have many customers that have experienced this negative selling (what I call it anyway...) and came very close to not purchasing a spa at all. Luckily, there are dealers that can address these horrible fears without the BS and offer a product that they are going to be very happy with. It's not all bad...In fact, it's pretty darn good to have one in your back yard and we're all at fault to some degree of not keeping that top of mind... :-/

Steve

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2004, 04:30:52 pm »
Sorry, I don't know why that got my goat. I'm not a dealer, and I already bought my tub.  I guess after researching so much I've come to like the information for information's sake.  :P

As for scare tactics, here's one:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/17/alligator.captured.ap/index.html

Must not have had an ABS pan on the bottom!

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2004, 04:30:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42