What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with final decision  (Read 27724 times)

webber233

Help with final decision
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:46:41 am »
Well, after 6 weeks of researching, wet testing and following this forum, I am ready to make a final decision and have narrowed it down to 3 spas. Can you please tell me if any of these spas will be more energy efficient that the other, and which spa you would choose and for what reason. I live in Canada, so it gets pretty cold up here in the winters. Also, I have wet tested all three of them and they are all comfortable and the dealers are all pretty much equal.

Sundance Optima w/UV ozonator, stereo and pop up speakers, steps, LED light, circ pump, air blower, hydraulic cover lifter, cup holder, a couple of extras, delivery and setup and taxes included. (floor model)

Jacuzzi J-385 w/CD ozonator, stereo and pop up speakers, steps, hydraulic cover lifter, circ pump, LED light, delivery and setup and taxes included. (Brand New)

Beachcomber 750 w/UV ozonator, stereo and under the shell speakers, steps, regular cover lifter, LED light, garden light, air blower, hush pump, protec, delivery and setup and taxes included. (brand new)

They are all the same price out the door. I think the best value is the Jacuzzi, but it doesn't come with the air blower, but it does have the jets that blow air 50/50 with the water. In my wet test the Jacuzzi also seemed a lot less powerful jet wise than the Optima. It this true? And would that be a better thing in the long run? The dealer said that with the Jacuzzi jets  you will be able to withstand them for longer periods of time, and they will be better for hydrotherapy. Anyone shed some light on this for us? I like the jetting concept of the Jacuzzi, but they did feel weak. Also, I liked the foot massage dome on the Optima. Didn't really get to try the foot massage on the Jacuzzi. Is it as good? Am I right in thinking that the Sundance and Jacuzzi are made with a better quality standard in mind than the Beachcomber? They both seem to have better filtration systems than the Beachcomber. Also..they all have basically the same features other than the Jacuzzi has a CD Ozonator. Is that a lot better than a UV ozonator?

Thanks,
Chris & Carrie

Hot Tub Forum

Help with final decision
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:46:41 am »

Tubber

Re: Help with final decision
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 10:37:00 am »
 Couple of things to consider when putting a Sundance against a Jacuzzi. First off is the filtration, the Sundance has better filtration then a Jacuzzi. . 1 micron filtration.

Next are the jets Jacuzzi does not have the feel of power as a Sundance will. You can always tune the seats in to "your comfort zone" gradually working it up to a deeper tissue massage. If the power is not there your peaked out at what might not be deep enough tissue therapy that you so desire. I'd say it's better to get a little to much rather then never have quite enough. Take note the jets in The Optima are bearingless.
Aromatherapy, some people like it other can do with out, The same goes for water falls. It's all personal preference.
You should wet test again and decide from there which tub will be better for you. As well as how you feel toward the dealer you are making this purchase from.

See if they will upgrade the Ozonator in the Optima for you. Even if it cost you $100.00 to $200.00 to upgrade it will still outwiegh what you get over a Jacuzzi. These are just my thoughts I do sell Sundance and know the differences. I have yet to be convinced that you can compare a Jacuzzi to a Sundance, closer to a Sweetwater a lot closer.

Chris_H

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 10:51:20 am »
Tubber,
Where are you a Sundance Sales rep for?
Chris H

webber233

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 11:00:35 am »
Thanks for your opinion Tubber.  One of the main things holding me back from the Optima is that it has been sitting in the showroom for 7-8 months. The other two are brand new in my choise of colour etc...the Sundance dealer says that he is giving me a way better deal because it is a showroom model. And if I were to order a new one then it would be about $1500-$2000 more in final price.  

Other than the jetting, the Jacuzzi and the Sundance do seem very similar build wise. They are sister companies, right? Can anyone else help me out. Would like to get as much info as possible in regards to this decision.

Thanks,
Chris

knowsabit

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 11:14:49 am »
Sundance, no question.

IMO FWIW.

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 11:19:12 am »
Chris,

What are the extact options and price quoted to you?  Does this include tax?  What is your sales tax rate?

webber233

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 11:37:34 am »
Dazed,

Our tax rate is 15%, but they are all including taxes in their price. Here are the exact pricing and options on these tubs:

Optima (Floor model):
UV Ozonator
Steps
LED light
Stereo
Hydraulic Cover Lifter
Synthertic Skirt
Setup and Delivery
Chemicals
Cup holder
Aromatherapy beads
Delivery and setup
Price: $12000 (Canadian)

Jacuzzi Premium J-385 (Brand new):
CD Ozonator
Steps
LED light
Stereo
Synthertic Skirt
Hydraulic Cover Lifter
Setup and Delivery
Chemicals
Delivery and Setup
Price: $12200 (Canadian)

Beachcomber 750 (Brand New):
UV ozonator
Steps
Protec
Stereo
LED Light
Garden Lights
Cover lifter
Hush pump
Air Blower
Reflex Foot Massage
Cedar Skirt
Setup and Delivery
Chemicals
Price: $12000 (Canadian)

Thanks,
Chris.

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 12:07:53 pm »
For what it's worth, eliminating the Beachcomber (I know little about them) I would be inclined to choose the Sundance over the Jacuzzi. I had quality issues with the Jacuzzi. The two models that were filled in the place that we wet tested always had one or two jets that had popped out sitting on the bottom. The switches that turned the water feature on and off seemed flimsy and might not stand the test of time and multiple use. The 50/50 air buttons scared me a bit as well as we were able to get them to stick a few times. There are others here who love their Jacuzzi and Beachcombers. They are definately on the good side of the list from what I can tell from reading these forums. The price for all that's included seems really good (especially including 15% sales/VAT tax. Good luck! :)

Tubnerd

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 12:14:41 pm »
Webber,

We are 3 weeks into our Jacuzzi J-375 and absolutely love it.  After wet testing Hotsprings, Marquis, Coleman, and Jacuzzi, (didn't love the Sundance rep so kindof crossed it off the list), we went with the Jacuzzi even though I secretly worried about the power of the jets.  Now that I am in it every day,  I can't imagine having or ever wanting any more powerful jets.  I think once you own a tub, you realize that it is sometimes just as enjoyable to sit with the colored light on, watch the stars, and not even have the pump running!  That being said, we run the pumps with air and without air and I assure you, pressure is not a problem.  As with any tub, you can adjust just about every jet there is and you soon learn which seat you prefer and what setting is right for you.  I think in a wet test you want to really feel that deep massage and expect a really strong jet output but in reality, you can only stand that for a short period of time.  I'm not sure how the foot layout is on the J-385 but we love the foot jets on ours.  If you have divert all the water to the foot jets and add the air--trust me, it will blast your feet nearly out of the tub.  We do that every now and then just for the fun of it!

I know people love their Sundance Optima's and I'm sure it is also great, but I couldn't be happier with our own choice.  Good luck!

bethshar

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 12:20:29 pm »
Webber -
You said all three tubs were comfortable, but which did you enjoy more!  They are not the same, so you must have liked one over the others.

Don't make your decision over which has the most features - waterfalls, aromatherapy, etc - those things won't matter for long.  I personally can't smell the aromatherapy on my Optima.  Waterfalls are also hard to appreciate with all the rest of the water movement in a hot tub.

I also looked at the Jacuzzi, Beachcomber and Sundance.  We chose the Optima.  I love the foot dome, the power, and the blower.  You can also add air to the therapy jets seperately from the blower jets.  We felt the Beachcomber was weak.  The Jacuzzi was nice, but at about the same price, we went with the Sundance.

Also consider the reputation of the dealer you buy from--and the distance from your home.  I've been bringing water samples in weekly, and the short 2 mile trip is no bother.

Ask for them to throw in some extra filters (one pleated, and a few micron filters on the Optima) Extra chemicals too.  There is no more freebees once the deal is done!

Good luck!

webber233

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 12:39:21 pm »
Difficult to say which one we enjoyed more. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'2". She liked the Optima more, where I felt it was a little too shallow, whereas the Jacuzzi was fine for me, but she was almost drowning in it. There was definitely more foot room in the jacuzzi too. I too think that the Optima might be the best tub out of the 3 and would likely have no hesitations if it were brand new, but since it is a floor model and 8 months old and has a UV ozonator, and not the colour I want, I'm having my doubts.

Thanks
Chris.

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 12:46:21 pm »
Chris,

That is not really a good deal on that floor model Optima!  I computed that is about 9200 US dollars.

Here is the deal I have on the table:

Cover
Chemicals
SunLift (6472-468)
SunGlow Multicolor Light (6472-646)
SunZone CD Special Edition (6472-845)
Exterior Perimeter Lights (6472-681)  
Handi Step (6473-100)  
MicroClean Filter (6540-501)  
MicroClean Filter (6540-502)  
Drink Tray (6472-540)  
SunScents (6472-238)  

for $7900 total US.   This package is the same bsaically as yours except I have the exterior lights (invoice $200) and you have the stereo (invoice cant be more then $500).  So, my package minus the lights and plus the stereo would be around $8200 US.  So you can see I would pay 8200 for a NEW optima where you would be paying 9200 US.

So, your dealer is charging 1000 us over my current deal for a USED spa.  Not a good deal!

d/c

webber233

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 12:56:50 pm »
You can't really compare US pricing with Canadian pricing. It's not the same even if you do the current exchange rate. The markets are totally different...just like they are in several of the different states. In my area (Ontario, Canada) that is a great deal from what I have seen. Anyone else in the area want to comment on price?

Thanks,
Chris.

bethshar

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2004, 01:07:46 pm »
I know my area is on the expensive side.  I'm in New York.  I paid $8,450 + tax for my Optima.  It included all that you got plus a robe and spa vac.  Dealer would not go any lower.  

Like everyone says -- you will forget about the price once you take that first soak!

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 01:16:59 pm »
Definitely a lot more to consider when comparing pricing in different countries.
Is Canada subject to any import and customs charges for US products?
e

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2004, 01:16:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42