What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Smelly water  (Read 2670 times)

Thisismyname

Smelly water
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:42:23 am »
Bullfrog A8 running chlorine and a mineral cartridge.

Did a water change a few weeks ago....had a few people in the tub New year's Eve.

Went out this morning and almost threw up at the smell of the water.  Smelled like a pond and tons of build up .

I put in a bunch of chlorine and it is clearing up.

What caused this?  Never had it before.

Old tub I ran baqua spa and would go months without a change and rarely added chemicals and this never happened in 15 years!

Hot Tub Forum

Smelly water
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:42:23 am »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Smelly water
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 01:06:09 pm »
too much bather load/funk and not enough sanitizer...hit it with some granular shock and chlorine, clean filters and you should be good to go within 24 hours, if not you may want to drain/refill

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 02:04:18 pm »
It’s the few friends part that always skunked my tub early on. Any break in the routine with increased bather load, swimsuits not rinsed properly of soap, people with body lotions…. Etc.

Whenever I have anything out of the ordinary now before I close it up I hit it hard. Then the next morning test the water and see what it needs.

The inline can’t keep up and once it starts to turn bad it is really hard to correct.

Sometime I would nurse it back but with the price of chemicals sometimes a quick drain is easier. 

Sam

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 02:07:46 pm »
Yep, I always recommend having some granular chlorine on hand no matter what system you use (not baqua).  Anytime you have a heavy bather load like a party or kids or something, add a superchlorination dose afterward, even just a little is usually enough, and you will prevent a lot of problems.

Thisismyname

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 08:20:42 pm »
Ok thanks all for the confirmation.

How much granular chlorine is needed for super chlorination?

It's a bullfrog a8.  I think that's about 450 gallon?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:23 am »
Normally I don't totally dump and change the water this time of year, we are having an unusually warm winter here in Ohio.  I'm guessing a few people who were never in a hot tub did so at your party.   I'd just dump at start over if that is possible.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Sam

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:56:53 pm »
Ok thanks all for the confirmation.

How much granular chlorine is needed for super chlorination?

It's a bullfrog a8.  I think that's about 450 gallon?

It should say on the bottle but I'd probably toss about 5 tbsp in to start and then check it the next day.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:56:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42