What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Waterfall feature malfunction  (Read 4470 times)

afaucher8789

Waterfall feature malfunction
« on: December 25, 2018, 04:06:45 pm »
Hello all,

I have an Artesian, South Sea spa. Without looking I believe the model number is an 860L(Not sure if it will matter for my question)

The waterfall on my hot tub is typically controlled by a valve. In the off position the waterfall remains on at about half strength. When I rotate it to the non position it comes on full strength like it should. As I rotate the valve to the off position about 3/4 to the off position it almost shuts completely off than comes back to half at the full off position.

Anyone have any experience with these? I don't want to take the valve apart and render my hot tub unusable for a time because I didnt understand what I was getting into.

Any help or direction is very much appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all.

Hot Tub Forum

Waterfall feature malfunction
« on: December 25, 2018, 04:06:45 pm »

Sam

Re: Waterfall feature malfunction
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 01:00:06 pm »
Unfortunately, I think the valve needs replaced.  Should be covered under 3 year warranty.

afaucher8789

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 06:36:43 pm »
Thanks for the information. If, for some reason, they push back on me for replacing the valve, is it simple to replace? Is it a standard valve for a hot tub or unique to this brand?

Sam

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 06:51:22 pm »
It should be pretty easy.  I doubt that it's exclusive to Artesian though you'd probably have trouble finding it somewhere else.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 08:09:17 am »
Might be the way it is for the simple reason of keeping water flowing through it for sanitation purposes?
Retired

Sam

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 11:05:26 am »
No, it should turn completely off.  I'm not a tech but I think it's just a simple valve swap, guts only.

afaucher8789

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 10:38:22 am »
Sam, thanks for the help with this. I took the guts apart and found the problem. You were right that it us a standard valve so I was able to easily locate a replacement. Should arrive soon. Thanks agai .

bud16415

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 10:59:05 am »
Just as an extra note on the subject of waterfalls. Mine is the type that shoots water up and across the tub with lights built in. if I leave it on when the clean cycle runs it would hit the cover. I leave it just cracked a little so a trickle runs thru it when it cleans. We thought we would use it all the time and hardly ever use it. Kids love it and we turn it on for them. So because we seldom use it I figured it was a good idea to let it trickle so it stays clean inside. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 12:53:15 pm »
Just as an extra note on the subject of waterfalls. Mine is the type that shoots water up and across the tub with lights built in. if I leave it on when the clean cycle runs it would hit the cover. I leave it just cracked a little so a trickle runs thru it when it cleans. We thought we would use it all the time and hardly ever use it. Kids love it and we turn it on for them. So because we seldom use it I figured it was a good idea to let it trickle so it stays clean inside.

I hate to sound like the old guy telling the kids to get off my lawn but waterfalls on spas make me roll my eyes. I realize some people like them but waterfalls are really there for 2 reasons, 1) point-of-sale, they do look good on the showroom floor (especially if you have kids) and 2) each manufacturer has them because the "other guys" put them on their spas (for reason #1) so you gotta keep up with the Joneses so you don't want to lose a sale to brand X because it looks flashier! To each his/her own!

220, 221, whatever it takes!

bachman

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 05:43:13 am »
I can imagine a sales person seeing a customer intrigued by the 'effects' or visual and letting it help the sale if that's the direction it takes. Yet honest staff might intervene or at least offer a few pointers if it's just another thing to go wrong or break. Especially so if it is the case where numbers of those models with that feature are the ones getting most calls complaints or service follow up. That type of honesty is what customers like but it's probably best to make that point and not sound belittling on a performance meaningless features meant for eye or soundtrack appeal.
Customers who ask a lot of questions allow some salesperson narrative and suggestions that can lead them a bit or correct their preconceptions.

I won't know until summer but when warm or hot outside and the lid off while sitting on our patio (or just soaking in the tub as now) I think our auto filtration cycle operates one of two neck jet seats that can be dialed on/off or down to a trickle for an relaxing sound effect. I can see myself trying that out as such. As busy as our near 600,000 people town is, I feel fortunate to reside in a quiet area where the sounds like that are not masked by noise.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:46:09 am by bachman »

bud16415

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 10:16:00 am »

I hate to sound like the old guy telling the kids to get off my lawn but waterfalls on spas make me roll my eyes. I realize some people like them but waterfalls are really there for 2 reasons, 1) point-of-sale, they do look good on the showroom floor (especially if you have kids) and 2) each manufacturer has them because the "other guys" put them on their spas (for reason #1) so you gotta keep up with the Joneses so you don't want to lose a sale to brand X because it looks flashier! To each his/her own!

I won’t say I hate our waterfall or find it useless. It is kind of like colored lights not really anything but bling but I find it sometimes relaxing. Ours has the color changing LEDs behing the 20 or so streams of water and they light the water. Bachman is correct with the tub open in the summer and the water fall running kind of is a nice touch on the deck.

Om the other hand it had zero impact on the purchase of the tub.  Kind of like heated seats in a car. If it came with it that’s nice but I wouldn’t say it is a must have.

bachman

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 02:32:02 pm »
My tub isn't feature laden but I think at the lowest of pump settings as in filtration mode and checking heat, it will run the one side and allow me to use the neck jets (set low flow to mimic a brook sound feature) with minimal other sounds or pump noise. It's a timed cycle so I really don't control that as I believe it begins 30 min after tub is used/shut off. Then every hour or two to sample water temp and run a min of a few minutes.

I was thinking of that relaxing sound as somewhat of a default but I really don't have much say in it's timing --  lol.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:09:20 pm by bachman »

bud16415

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 06:29:23 pm »
My tub isn't feature laden but I think at the lowest of pump settings as in filtration mode and checking heat, it will run the one side and allow me to use the neck jets (set low flow to mimic a brook sound feature) with minimal other sounds or pump noise. It's a timed cycle so I really don't control that as I believe it begins 30 min after tub is used/shut off. Then every hour or two to sample water temp and run a min of a few minutes.

I was thinking of that relaxing sound as somewhat of a default but I really don't have much say in it's timing --  lol.

Our Geneva has the waterfall on pump 2 and it has 2 speeds the lowest speed barely can be heard. I place the selector for whirlpool and adjust the waterfall. Whirlpool is a jet on the outside of the filter well at the cool down seat and it makes the water do a circle around the whole tub.

That combination we use a lot when we are just sitting it with friends and talking or having a drink. Just a soft water movement for everyone and hardly any noise and the waterfall isn’t spraying on anyone.

I always tell people think about all this stuff and how the seating will be facing and where you will enter the tub ect. when selecting a tub. We have friends where you end up having to ask someone to move to get in the tub or you are stepping down too far or on a sloped seat. They all work a little different and some fit your placement better than others. Even the direction the cover will open should be planned.   

bachman

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 03:01:06 am »

I always tell people think about all this stuff and how the seating will be facing and where you will enter the tub ect. when selecting a tub. We have friends where you end up having to ask someone to move to get in the tub or you are stepping down too far or on a sloped seat. They all work a little different and some fit your placement better than others. Even the direction the cover will open should be planned.   

Seems almost critical to plan the set up as what is 'front' , step in section and cover direction. I mean after all, whatever the layout or position after filling, your kinda stuck with 4000 lbs or more of tub that isn't moving anywhere unless you start over.

I seen pictures of the tub we got set up as the other owner had it and that's how we configured it as well but I honestly didn't know if there was a 'right' way to do it or if there is indeed a 'front'. Turns out, what I consider the front (must be correct) is the access panel to the pumps and a blip of a light shining down to the steps. That step-in puts us on a shallow shelf that is the leg rest of the lounge seat on the left corner. The right corner is the cool-down seat and isn't really crowned at all by the lounger person. Then we have opposite side as three seats, all deep and one more on the side next to the lounger. Could not be more happy with the size and person capacity of the tub although as yet, we have not had more than 4 in it at one time.
It has two diverter controls, two air controls and two neck jet controls. The temp and function display is angled inward and facing the tub occupants although I have seen the opposite designs by other companies or maybe the trend has changed with time ? Honestly, in daylight with the way the sun hits the back yard, the panel is not easy to see or read if I'm not in the tub as I have to stretch way over and look back but it isn't any sort of deal breaker. I don't often have to review the panel unless I'm wanting to confirm or change variations in filter times or cycles and really, I can do anything needed when I'm in the tub anyways.

When I get caught up on things and get the yard mostly done, cleaned up and even slightly photogenic, I'll figure out the what's and how to's of getting pictures posted.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:57:57 am by bachman »

bud16415

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 08:44:07 am »

Seems almost critical to plan the set up as what is 'front' , step in section and cover direction. I mean after all, whatever the layout or position after filling, your kinda stuck with 4000 lbs or more of tub that isn't moving anywhere unless you start over.

I seen pictures of the tub we got set up as the other owner had it and that's how we configured it as well but I honestly didn't know if there was a 'right' way to do it or if there is indeed a 'front'. Turns out, what I consider the front (must be correct) is the access panel to the pumps and a blip of a light shining down to the steps. That step-in puts us on a shallow shelf that is the leg rest of the lounge seat on the left corner. The right corner is the cool-down seat and isn't really crowned at all by the lounger person. Then we have opposite side as three seats, all deep and one more on the side next to the lounger. Could not be more happy with the size and person capacity of the tub although as yet, we have not had more than 4 in it at one time.
It has two diverter controls, two air controls and two neck jet controls. The temp and function display is angled inward and facing the tub occupants although I have seen the opposite designs by other companies or maybe the trend has changed with time ? Honestly, in daylight with the way the sun hits the back yard, the panel is not easy to see or read if I'm not in the tub as I have to stretch way over and look back but it isn't any sort of deal breaker. I don't often have to review the panel unless I'm wanting to confirm or change variations in filter times or cycles and really, I can do anything needed when I'm in the tub anyways.

When I get caught up on things and get the yard mostly done, cleaned up and even slightly photogenic, I'll figure out the what's and how to's of getting pictures posted.

Our Caldera Geneva has a main control panel on the front and then a second control panel inside the tub. We use the one inside 99% of the time. It also has a cool feature yours may have also that they don’t advertise. If you hold one of the buttons down for 3 seconds on the main panel. I forget what one now as I’m not outside looking at it. It will flip the display direction between inside and outside.

We have family members that just got a tub and when it was delivered she just said I want it here on the deck. No forethought into any of the location issues. They have a nice roll out awning that covers most of the deck and would have been great over the tub on rainy days and where they set the tub blocks use of the awning from opening. So some people don’t give any thought to it and the guy setting it down and the guy wiring it most of the time don’t care. I even made my deck rail with an 8’ section that comes right off with a few bolts to get the tub on and off the deck. The equipment area faces out with the cover lifter attached to the other end and the cover facing the house so it doesn’t block the view. The side where the tub is close to the railing I made those rails removable also just in case I needed to get to a pipe or something.

When we use the tub together there is never an issue with talking back and forth but I have noticed when we have a party lots of time people outside the tub will sit and talk to people in the tub. It is nice ours worked out great as most of the seating faces outward. Getting back to waterfall features people outside the tub I think enjoy it more than people in the tub during a gathering. Someone is always standing outside talking and letting the hot water spray their hands. Kind of lures them into coming in.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 08:44:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42