What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Test Strip Question  (Read 3656 times)

Dave_L

Test Strip Question
« on: September 15, 2004, 09:22:51 pm »
Quick question.

How important is the time factor when using the chemical test strips? There is usually quite a difference between bromine levels at 15 seconds (as per instructions) and 30 seconds.

Thanks,
Dave

Hot Tub Forum

Test Strip Question
« on: September 15, 2004, 09:22:51 pm »

UnderTheStars

Re: Test Strip Question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 09:35:23 pm »
It's important.  I use chlorine and at 15 seconds the pad is at its darkest.  Eventually it starts to change, gradually getting lighter.  So if you read it at the wrong stage you'll get a false number.

FYI a lot of posters have talked about test kits.  The Taylor seems to be an industry standard (40 45 bucks online.)  I bought another brand for $14 at Walmart (quite a few have gone this route.  I recommend the test kit that uses drops.  It took me a couple days to get the knack (hold a white piece of paper behind the test vial to accurately read the color.)  They work great and seems to give a more exact reading.

I still use the strips if I want a quick check but mostly use the wet kit.  $14 Walmart, you'll like it!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 09:49:20 pm »
UnderTheStars;

Does that kit you speak of include TA test and chlorine Neutralizer?

HotTubMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 09:59:59 pm »
I have the AquaChem test kit from Walmart, it tests CL, BR, pH, ALK, and hardness.  It was $15 and they send you free replacement reagents.  

UnderTheStars

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 10:01:32 pm »
It's a 5 way test kit:  Chlorine, Bromine, PH, Total Alkalinity, Total Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid.  It's a sweet deal for $14.  In my area Walmart carries "HTH" brand.   I heard about it from CalicoSkies.  I think she is in N.Carolina and her Walmart carries a dif. brand.  Down there they were "closing out" pool chems for the season and had it marked down further.  My Walmart here said, "no, we never close out pool & spa chems.  That's ok, 'cause it's a great little kit for the price.

So, depending on your part of the country you might find a different brand/version.  Oh yeah, I think they also had a smaller 3-way version for around $9.  Go check it out!

UnderTheStars

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 10:03:04 pm »
Ooops!  Hi Calico, I was being wordy and you beat me to it.  (good thing I gave you credit - didn't know you were there!)
Stars

OnMedic

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 10:44:07 pm »
We have the Guardian test kit, after a few uses it has become very simple. One question, what is the difference between Total Disolved Solids (Chlorine?) and Total Free Chlorine? What one is important?

Thanks

OnMedic
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 11:29:48 pm by OnMedic »

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 09:19:49 am »
I have the AquaChem test kit from Walmart, it tests CL, BR, pH, ALK, and hardness.  It was $15 and they send you free replacement reagents.  

I got the same kit as you and where did you find the free replacements part?  If this is true then I want in the deal...

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 10:34:59 am »

I got the same kit as you and where did you find the free replacements part?  If this is true then I want in the deal...

We've got the same kit and the phone number and part numbers are on the back of the manual that came with the kit.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 10:45:18 am »
I see that there are a few Taylor test kits available, which one should I buy and where to buy it online?

Thanks.

Jonathan

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 03:30:53 pm »
Buy the Taylor Test Kit that Doc sells at rhtubs.com.  It is the correct one at a good price.

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 04:34:35 pm »
Thanks Tony,

I just put it into the cart, along with a couple of duckies my kids will get a kick out of.

Jonathan

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 04:34:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42