What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring remote  (Read 3370 times)

dishdude

Hot Spring remote
« on: November 19, 2018, 11:00:13 pm »
2014 Envoy. Is it possible to swap this remote out for a conventional control panel? I have no interest in controlling the tub by remote and it's been nothing but trouble from day one. The last time they replaced the dock it was just glued into place with silicone and plugs right into the control panel, so I can easily do the swap myself if it's compatible with the controller.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring remote
« on: November 19, 2018, 11:00:13 pm »

dishdude

Re: Hot Spring remote
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:23:08 pm »
What a nightmare, the hot tub is now turning the jets on by itself and heating to temps higher than it is set to.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:09:40 am by dishdude »

bachman

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 02:17:43 am »
I don't know anything about that tub or controller but I'm guessing it has a short in it or something at the 'dock' is getting wet ?
Is the remote like a tablet or something ?

Seems like you could kill power to the remote (take battery out) to see if that isolates the issue. If something is changing the jet configuration and temp settings, that's all I can think of but I'd guess you still need to isolate the problem source. From there, you could consider getting service or parts advice or source it as a DIY.

d00nut

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 11:58:58 am »
A 2014 is still under warranty.  I'd have it replaced if it is giving you trouble.  I'm not sure if it is possible, but there is a touch screen that is hardwired on a lot of the new highlifes, that works the same, but isn't a remote.  I'm not positive it can be retrofitted or now. 

There are like 25 different channels that you can set that thing on to make sure you find one with no interference, sometimes it's not the remote at all, but the channel it is on.  Mine works flawlessly on channel 24.  It's not quite enough to just swap out the panel, pairing it correctly is the key.

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 03:01:06 pm »
Also, since it should be warranty, replace the dock and remote at the same time. 

dishdude

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 01:44:06 am »
Spoke with Watkins, no way to go to a normal control panel since the cutout on the shell is larger for the remote docking station than a hardwired solution. Changed channels and discovered the firmware installed back in June has already been updated to a newer version. Now I get to jump through hoops printing and scanning another work authorization and paying another trip charge to get newer firmware. I should be used to it since this lemon breaks down every few months.

d00nut

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 12:52:42 pm »
Spoke with Watkins, no way to go to a normal control panel since the cutout on the shell is larger for the remote docking station than a hardwired solution. Changed channels and discovered the firmware installed back in June has already been updated to a newer version. Now I get to jump through hoops printing and scanning another work authorization and paying another trip charge to get newer firmware. I should be used to it since this lemon breaks down every few months.

So... technically (just saying) you could use the hardwired remote if you are okay with the space between the acrylic being exposed.  That's what I heard.  You could use fiberglass to patch the areas but it wouldn't look all that good.

My gut says, if you were my customers, I'd drop everything to take care of you.  I'd still just replace the whole freaking remote and dock with the latest software.  Trip charge would be ridiculous.  Any way you can work with Watkins to see if they can get that coordinated for you.  Their customer service department is generally awesome, especially if you are dealing with a dealer not willing to work with you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 12:52:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42