What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Temperture versus time  (Read 8454 times)

jas221

Temperture versus time
« on: September 13, 2004, 09:41:32 pm »
Okay, as a newbie I don't know this.  Is there a table that will tell you the maximum amount of time in the hot tub at a certain temperture?

Say 97 degrees 90 miniutes.
      104 degrees 20 minutes, etc.

Any ideas? ???

Hot Tub Forum

Temperture versus time
« on: September 13, 2004, 09:41:32 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Temperture versus time
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 06:10:13 am »
Check the ends of your fingers, they start to get all wrinkly....it's time.
Retired

bethshar

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 07:33:46 am »
 From RHTuBs:

Length of time spent in a hot tub (and ideal temperature) is a individual thing... some people tolerate hot bathing temps better than others, and it is true that some medical conditions can be exacerbated by submersion in hot water for extended periods of time. The heat limits and time limits enforced or suggested by the spa manufacturers, the NSPI, ANSI, UL, M-I-C-K-E-Y, (add letters ad nausium) are all to cover the butts of the people that make the safety suggestions. If you have a medical condition it is a good idea to check with your doctor before tubbing, or bending at the waist, or anything else for that matter... In the world of common sense, I say, read the warnings, ask a couple questions, then with an understanding that there is some risk... in just waking up in the morning... enjoy your tub as long as you want. In the real world of lawyers and stuff... I say "Read the manufacturers warning, check with your doctor, check with your star charts, always have adult supervision, and a lifeguard present, do not enjoy yourself too much, and try to keep the noise level down below 80dbs unless you are wearing proper hearing protection,...”

It is a funny time in which we live.
Enjoy
PhD H2O

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 03:20:24 pm »
Well, the average body temperature is 98.6F, so I would imagine that any temperature at or below that should not have any negative health effects.

I'm not a doctor, these are just opinionated opinions. 8)

I keep my tub between 94 and 98 in the summer (sometimes in the sun it creeps up to 99 or 100 by itself which is a bit of a pain...) and have stayed in my tub for hours.  Best was one night the wife and I got in around 9pm after some company left and when we got out because we had finished gossiping and relaxing, found it to be almost 3:00am! Egad!  I think that was the longest for me!

the elderly and people with certain physical conditions (heart?) need to be very careful about temperature.  Raising body temperature alters blood flow. Additionally, sitting in water that long will make people a little wobbly, especially if they are older or have certain kinds of sports injuries.  I'm got stretched ligaments in my ankle and note that after all the restful bouyancy of the tub my ankle seems more prone to want to "give out".

Pregnant women should avoid the tub.  I don't know if that is just a temperature thing or if the chemicals in the tub are also an issue.

Heat is also a problem for couples trying to conceive.  So either stay out of the tub when trying for kids, or watch the temperature settings.

-Ed
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 03:21:14 pm by ebirrane »

PPOL

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 04:41:28 pm »
I live in SE North Carolina, I usually keep mine on this temperature schedule.

98 F May-Sep (summer lock on)
102 F Sep-Apr (summer lock off)

Time spent in your tub, don't over think it, when it's time, it's time to get out.  Usually when my drink is empty... ;D

Neil O'Donovan
Phoenix Park Outdoor Living.
Wilmington, NC

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 06:58:38 pm »
INTERNAL body temp is 98.6......... skin temp is much lower, and 98.6 water can cause your internal temp to raise
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Pooldevil

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 08:43:50 am »
Nice one Tman  ::)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 12:01:34 pm »
INTERNAL body temp is 98.6......... skin temp is much lower, and 98.6 water can cause your internal temp to raise

Thats why they call him Doc,  your skin and your breathing are designed to help cool you off, so sitting in even 98.6 degree water long enough can cause problems. However, if the outside temp is 25F you probably could stay in a long time.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 02:47:36 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

UnderTheStars

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 06:28:12 pm »
In other words, I can get heat stroke if I'm outside long enough on a 98.6 degree day?  Got it.  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 06:28:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42