What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: J345 vs. Sundance Caprio  (Read 7034 times)

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
J345 vs. Sundance Caprio
« on: September 14, 2004, 03:19:27 pm »
Have added a new tub to my prospect list.  Sundance Caprio.  I understand that Sundance uses better jets and filtration system than Jacuzzi.  Also the price I'm being quoted for the Caprio is $ 6995 including lifter, whereas the 345 is $ 7995, not including lifter, but including ozone.

Can some of you Sundance owners who also compared them to Jacuzzi expand on this for me ?

Hot Tub Forum

J345 vs. Sundance Caprio
« on: September 14, 2004, 03:19:27 pm »

golferm

Re: J345 vs. Sundance Caprio
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 03:21:43 pm »
I should have added that these are Canadian prices, and I'm aware that the Caprio is a slightly smaller tub in dimensions.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 03:32:04 pm »
I'm not a Sundance owner, but I believe that either Sundance bought out Jacuzzi or they are both owner by the same parent company.  I wet tested both when searching for a tub (ended up with a hot spring).

Sundance is informally considered the "higher end" manufacturer (versus Jacuzzi) and their tubs are generally priced accordingly.

Sundance is though of as having better plumbing, better components, and better filtration.  Sometimes Sundance pumps are used in Jacuzzi models which can cause some problems because of the power of the pumps.  Sundance pumps are thought of as being too powerful for Jacuzzi tubs.  Arguably the Sundance pumps are too powerful for the Sundance models, but that is an entirely different flame war.  ;D

There was some discussion on Jacuzzi and Sundance a while back, I'm sure a forum search will yield some comparisons.

-Ed
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 03:33:08 pm by ebirrane »

golferm

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 03:39:06 pm »
Also, if anyone has any thoughts on where the Sweetwater line fits in, that would be great.  It certainly fits a lot nicer into my budget.

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 03:51:08 pm »
This is very difficult for me to say.  As a proud Jacuzzi basher, I would recommend the J-345 over the Caprio.  Don’t expect to read that again.

The Portofino series on the Sundance actually has the same components as the Jacuzzi Premium and Sweetwater.  This would include pump, heater, and control box all parts are inside the cabinet.  
The Caprio is a one-pump system versus the J-345’s two pumps.  The Caprio also has none of the fluidix jets that everyone raves about.

If you went up a few notches on the Sundance to the Marin (the price should increase over the J-345), I would unequivocally recommend a Marin.

I would consider the Bahia on the Sweetwater a comparable unit to the J-345.  It is a larger unit than the J-345, and most dealers will upgrade the filtration on the Sweetwater units if you ask nicely.  I would recommend the Bahia over the J-345.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 04:28:15 pm »
Sundance, Jacuzzi Premium and Sweetwater are all built by Sundance which is owned by Jacuzzi Brands.  All three spas you are looking at use the LED controls (vs the LCD controls).  Wet testing would give you the best feedback on what spa is right for you.  The Sweetwater will give you the best value for your dollar, but the warranty is shorter.  That being said, the Sweetwater Spas have come into their own and are great performers.

golferm

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 05:39:13 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  The Sweetwater Bahia is also a much better price than the 345 to the tune of $ 1000. ($ 7000 for the Bahia, and that incl. cover lifter, and I bet I could get the dealer to throw in the ozonator as well as delivery for that price.)  He's a new Sundance dealer, and is anxious for sales.  

golferm

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 05:40:20 pm »
Tony, isn't the Optima the same shell design, but bigger than the Bahia ? How do you enjoy your Optima on that regard ?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 05:50:13 pm »
They are close...same basic design.  The footwell and therapy seats are slightly different and I think the pumps are a little stronger.  The Optima has the LCD controls and the new style jets.  Side by side though, they are remarkably close.

I thoroughly enjoy my spa.  Two years old and I still use it daily.  

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 08:58:41 pm »
I don't know where you are from maybe russia or somehing but the Jacuzzi J-345 should be no more then $5500-$6000 US dollars.JohnnyT ;)

Tubber

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004, 07:03:51 am »

The pumps in the Sweetwater Bahia and the Optima are the same. Generally there is a $2000.00 price difference between the two models. If you like the size of the Caprio I'd suggest looking at the Marin as Chris H suggested.

You can get swirly jets for the sweetwater's and customize the tub to what you want. you could not go wrong with a Bahia, there is a tub out there for everyones budget. It all boils down to what you are looking for from the tub.

golferm

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2004, 12:45:56 pm »
I don't know where you are from maybe russia or somehing but the Jacuzzi J-345 should be no more then $5500-$6000 US dollars.JohnnyT ;)

As per my earlier post, I'm from Canada, so that's where the price difference comes in buddy.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2004, 12:45:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42