What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cheap place online to buy chemicals  (Read 6678 times)

uderc

Cheap place online to buy chemicals
« on: September 13, 2004, 07:58:50 am »
Has anyone found a cheap place to buy chemicals such as Spa Defender online?  Cheapest I saw was on Spa Depot.

Hot Tub Forum

Cheap place online to buy chemicals
« on: September 13, 2004, 07:58:50 am »

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
Re: Cheap place online to buy chemicals
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:11:13 am »
I've had 4 orders thru rhtubs.com  that all went very well and prices seemed good to me.  

bethshar

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 10:30:45 am »
Calico -
What brand of chems do you use.  Is it better than the spaguard chems that came with the Optima?  Thanks -

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 12:01:52 pm »
I recently switched to the spa kem line of Dichlor and have great luck with keeping my tub clean. I pay 1/2 of what I paid elsewhere for other brands either mailorder or at a store by purchasing it at Lowe's.

Dichlor is the only chemical I have to use most days.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 03:01:57 pm »
Is it better than the spaguard chems that came with the Optima?

When we got our Optima, our dealer gave us a Leisure Time startup kit so that's what we've been using so far.  We just placed a big order of 'cheaper' chemicals from SpaDepot and are going to start using them in the next week or so.  Basically they look the same as far as ingredients go, they just don't say Leisure Time and are half the price in some cases.

I really wish the prices at my local dealer were better because I'd really like to buy from them.  They seem like great people and I'd love to continue to support their store.  It just seems that they are quite expensive.  I'm really not interested in spending $18 on OZ shock that only gets you 9 shocks per bottle ($2 a shock).
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 03:25:32 pm »
Bulmer, I feel exactly like you do!  We really want to support that dealership, they were good to us and we're very happy w/the tub.  But like you said, their products are extremely overpriced and not a big selection.  They had to order the SunPurity for us, they dont even stock that.  

Beth, I got the LeisureTime line of chems w/my Optima.  We used that up and when I ordered new stuff, I just got the same ingredients but the cheaper brand.  

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 03:50:34 pm »
I know of at least 3 dealers here in town that knock off 15% if you bought your spa there. But you have to be on your toes in case the part timer working the register forgets to give me, my price.  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

knowsabit

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 04:48:03 pm »
support your local dealer, if you have a problem they will be there to help you.  if you buy from the box stores and or online who is going to help you with a water/service problem?  "Chuck" in the hardware dept?  Don't think so.  If you put you local dealer out of business because of their lost chemical revenue who will service your spa?

You most likely weren't a tight wad cheap ass when you bought your spa...

;)

I've been in the retail game a long time (outdoor power equipment) and seen alot of great shops go under because of online outlets.  Those dealers are the ones providing the friendly customer service that this world needs more of...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 05:46:21 pm by d1chairmanII »

bethshar

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 07:37:33 pm »
My dealer does give 10% off if you purchased a spa there.  I haven't really compared prices yet, and would prefer to support the dealer if it makes sense.  Besides, they just sent me a box of fudge and thank you note for buying my spa.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 08:27:39 pm »
You most likely weren't a tight wad cheap ass when you bought your spa...

Well... I don't know about the rest of you on this thread but I take offense at being called a tight wad cheap ass.

We did spend good money on our Sundance...  And I'm sure my dealer got a pretty good chunk of the cash that we spent.  My dealer also sells more than just spas and am I'm pretty sure that they're not going to 'go out of business' just because I don't buy chemicals from them.  As it is, I will be going back to them for the microfilters that you have to replace every 3 months and other odds and ends.  

If there were online shops selling Sundance tubs for thousands less than I can see your point.  You're probably in a business that is a lot more affected by online shopping.  I really can't see me not buying chemicals from them being that big of an impact to their business.  You make it sound like that's the only way they make any money.  If they really wanted to make money selling chemicals, their selection would be much greater and they would have more competative prices.

Let me ask you something?  Do you spend $2 everytime you shock your spa?  I doubt it.

bethshar

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 08:57:40 pm »
what is OZ shock?  Also, what are the spadepot equivalents to:  Clarifier and  Stain and Scale.  Which shock do others use.  The thread on CYA has me concerned about using just dichlor daily and to shock. Can you use the nature 2 stick instead of the Sunpurity.  It seems that the stick in the filter would get more water passing through than the box in the brominator.

THanks!

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 09:14:29 pm »
Spa Depot is a web site to purchase chems:

http://www.spadepot.com/

OZ is Leisure Times shock in tablet form.

I was under the impression that you couldn't use the stick form of Nature2 in the Sundances -- it also is more expensive I think.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 09:17:10 pm »
what is OZ shock?

It's the shock my dealer sells that is specifically designed for ozonated spas.  We're moving to a reguler MPS shock as I can't see much difference in the ingredients.

http://www.leisuretimespa.com/TechDataInfo.asp?authID=1354175838&ProductID=4

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 11:40:56 pm »
You can use any non chlorine shock (mps) in place of OZ tablets.  Leisure Time makes Renew which does the same thing.  LT states that OZ is for ozonated tubs, but it really is a sales tool.

You can use the Nature2 or Frog stick in the Optima.  You just place it on top of the filter, not inside it.  The flow should be the same as the SunPurity cartridge.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 08:11:01 am »
support your local dealer, if you have a problem they will be there to help you.

Me!   (or this forum)  I supported my dealer with a huge purchase remember? When my warranty is up, I'll be supporting his service department.  I get filters from him for convienence and knowing I'm getting the right thing.  If your doctor sold asprin for a 75% markup would you support him or go to the local drug store?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 08:11:55 am by wmccall »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 08:11:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42