What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealer Question  (Read 3101 times)

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
Dealer Question
« on: September 12, 2004, 12:05:49 am »
So I want to know how everyone else in the spa industry finds employees? I tried ads in pool and spa news and Auqa to no avail. I have tried the local paper several times yet seem to only get unemployed IT people with no sales or service experience. I have found over the years that many "High Ticket" salespeople are "High Maintinance". I just want to know from the pros; What do you do to entice the elite? Both in sales and service? I know this is off base but I have been reading the posts for a long time and this is something I have often wondered......

Hot Tub Forum

Dealer Question
« on: September 12, 2004, 12:05:49 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Dealer Question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 09:02:18 am »
Hi Taz,

I find that high-ticket sales people are high maint.

Good ones cost more than you think.

My main job is hiring.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 01:28:11 pm »
So here are some questions for you Chas,

1. Where do you primarily solicit both sales and service people, trade magazines, newspaper or both?

2. At our company everyone works for both salary and commission. Service guys can make commission on covers and chemicals but I’m not a fan of  commissioning billable labor as it gives them a way  to “gouge” the customer. My salespeople make really good money but I lose them to the fact that no one wants to work weekends for and extended period. Do you have a way around this?

3. Do you hire more inexperienced and train them or do you look for experienced?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 02:02:30 pm »
Finding people with experience in some form of sales is important.

I have offered positions to waiters or from other industries that were exceptional in customer relations.

I have found that hiring high paid people from within the spa biz can be difficult. They have their set ways and I implement a structure that's very unique for salespeople that's sometimes hard to break the mold they're use to. As long as you have someone that is comfortable around people and will ask for the sale, teaching your methods comes quite easily.
They don't have to be a 150 a year tub seller to come into your store and do well. Personally, I prefer molding people and spending less time breaking old, bad habits.

As for service techs...steal them from other companies! ;D

Steve

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 03:26:37 pm »
So here are some questions for you Chas,

1. Where do you primarily solicit both sales and service people, trade magazines, newspaper or both?
I recuit wherever I am. When I find anyone who has a nice way with people - salesperson, waiter, video store, anywhere - I greet them, thank them, and ask if they're happy where they are.

2. At our company everyone works for both salary and commission. Service guys can make commission on covers and chemicals but I’m not a fan of  commissioning billable labor as it gives them a way  to “gouge” the customer. My salespeople make really good money but I lose them to the fact that no one wants to work weekends for and extended period. Do you have a way around this?
Not really - I try to rotate weekends as much as I can, but the bottom line is that Retail is what it is: the stores have to be open at the convenience of the customers. I have found people who like having some weekdays off, and only my wife works on Sundays. She does this mostly as a way to have a quiet time to catch up on books and such.

3. Do you hire more inexperienced and train them or do you look for experienced?
Both. The right person is teachable.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

poolboy34

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 03:38:41 pm »
I agree with steve in that it is much easier to train some one with good customer service skills from outside the industry then it is to "retrain" someone from inside the industry.  All companies conduct business in their own way that works best for them.  We like to have all of our store help cross-trained in all aspects of the store (spas, in-ground pools, above ground pools, water analysis, register, parts and service).  This way all employees are capable of answering questions when we are at our peak seasons.  Now only our salestaff is eligible to sell spas, and pools, but atleast when customers have non-sales related questions reguarding parts, pools, and spas there is always someone who can answer that question.  Yes it takes awhile to train employees in all aspects, but it is well worth it.  Also most all of these areas are related anyways.  Probblems with parts can be directly caused from improper water chemistry.  And the sales staff and service dept need to know water chemistry in order to diagnose the causes of problems, and also to explain how to care for a pool or spa.  Chas and steve have the right attitude when it comes to finding help, you always look for good employees, no matter what their education or background is.

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 11:59:56 pm »
Well at least I have a chance at another job if this airline one fails!  and no I don't work for US Scare ( I mean Air).

r100rs

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 01:51:42 am »
I think this is the most common dellima that faces many business owners, finding and keeping good people. I think the hardest thing to find is an employee that shares your core value and work ethic.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 07:08:18 am »
Stuart,

Sometimes it is just as hard to find a boss/owner who has the same work ethic, as well!!!

;)

You know Chas, always leaving early!!!  LOL!!  (J/T)
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 07:58:42 am »
 I have found people who like having some weekdays off, .

Remind your salespeople whom are golfers, the courses are less crowded on Mondays.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 07:58:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42