What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Most efficient entry and exit in cold weather?  (Read 14927 times)

Tub_Newbie

Most efficient entry and exit in cold weather?
« on: September 03, 2004, 12:17:51 am »
Hello folks,

I just inherited a '96 Beachcomber with a house I bought.  Had never been in a hot tub before but love it!  First attempt at the weekly maintenance seemed to go well (pretty overwhelming at first but I can see getting into a routine with it soon).

So here's the question: I know people use hot tubs in the winter but I'm having trouble imagining the actual nuts and bolts of the procedure to get from the house to the tub (about 7' from the back door) and vice versa when the temperature drops.  I live in northern British Columbia, so it *will* drop.

Any advice on how and where to stash towels, how to keep feet from freezing into slippers and wet fingers from sticking to the door handle, etc.?  I'm sure there must be tricks of the 'trade' and I'd love to learn them before I learn the hard way.  :-)

Also wondering if hot tubs are considered safe for toddlers (properly supervised of course) or if the heat is too much for them?

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Most efficient entry and exit in cold weather?
« on: September 03, 2004, 12:17:51 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Most efficient entry and exit in cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 08:42:46 am »
I've found that smaller children, under teen age, don't tend to stay in the water very long.  We don't have any really little children using our spa, but I have heard that higher water temperatures can affect children's development.  

As for the winter thing, we have robes on over our suits, and slippers on our feet.  We carry towels down and place them near the spa.  Getting in is easy.
Just hang up the robe on the nearby hook, slide off the slippers, and into the water.
Getting out, you have a short time before the cold really nails you, so we towel off really quick, slap on the robe and slippers, then head inside to completely towel off.
I usually close the cover just before heading in, then come back out later to secure things.
Brewman
Brewman

sobe

• Sundance optima owner
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 09:04:01 am »
I plan on investing in a outdoor heater that operates with a propane tank. That should take the chill out.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 12:30:08 pm »
1) Drop the temperature in the tub to around 97 degrees for safety.

2) Wait until there is snow all around the tub.

3) Run out with a siz pack or two. Keep beer cold in the snow next to the tub.

4) Drink the six pack while enjoying hydrotherapy.

By the time you are done you could roll in the snow and not care. The walk back becomes a breeze.

-Ed

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 07:25:29 pm »
You people amaze me. I hope this doesn't get edited out: I live in Southern Cal and I'm totally spoiled. I don't know if I would use me tub in the snow.

Glad you guys enjoy your tubs - even in the snow and ice - you have my respect.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 10:50:17 pm »
It doesn't get any better than soaking on a still night when the temperature is low, say 30 degrees.  
Steam rising around.  That's what makes our winters a bit easier to endure.  
Of course all bets are off when it's -20 and the wind is whipping around.
Brewman
Brewman

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 11:15:03 pm »
Can't argue with Brewman,a friend told me when it snows and is very cold outside you can get out of the spa and walk naked around the block with steam coming from you lol.This is my first winter coming up and I don't want to walk around the block,only a few feet would work...JohnnyT :)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 07:38:12 am »
Hello folks,

Any advice on how and where to stash towels, how to keep feet from freezing into slippers and wet fingers from sticking to the door handle, etc.?  I'm sure there must be tricks of the 'trade' and I'd love to learn them before I learn the hard way.  :-)

If that 7 feet doesn't include any dirt or grass, buy a $1 pair of beach sandles and wear them right into the tub. Then they get set up on the edge till get out time when I put them on in the tub and they get worn until they reach the matt just inside the back door.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 07:41:01 am »
You people amaze me. I hope this doesn't get edited out: I live in Southern Cal and I'm totally spoiled. I don't know if I would use me tub in the snow.

Glad you guys enjoy your tubs - even in the snow and ice - you have my respect.

On the plus side of the cold weather, at 104 in Sept I can stay in the tub around 20 minutes.   At around 10 degrees f in Jan, at 104, I can stay in the tub 45 minutes. There is no better sleep than after 45 minutes at 104.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 07:43:55 am »
Can't argue with Brewman,a friend told me when it snows and is very cold outside you can get out of the spa and walk naked around the block with steam coming from you lol.This is my first winter coming up and I don't want to walk around the block,only a few feet would work...JohnnyT :)

Wind is a big factor, or specifically a big chill factor.  I have no problems getting out of the tub at 0 F and getting the robe on, throwing in the Dichlor and closing up with little or no wind.   But a 20 mph wind at 25 degrees makes it much tougher.

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 11:23:52 am »
 ;)I am reading this thread with great interest here in NH where last winter ( seems so far away now..) we had a week of arctic weather and when it is cold enough to freeze the hairs in your nose, I can't imagine running out to the tub. But we are ambitious and put the tub strategically on the porch away from falling snow, but with a 6 foot dash from our unheated 3 season porch. I like the idea of the hooks for the robes and may get a heater for the porch.

My fear is the cover- will the moisture freeze on it and cause damage as we are in the tub? But we are definitely looking forward to soaking after a day of skiing!
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 01:44:52 pm »
The only irritations we've had in the winter is digging out the spa after a heavy snow, and when water drips on the cover locks, then freezes them shut.  Neither are too big a deal.  Definately worth the trouble for the use of the spa in the winter.  
Brewman
Brewman

PPOL

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2004, 02:36:28 pm »
Run like hell... :o

Not as bad coming out as getting in.  Your body will be heated up so you wont notice the cold, I would bring a robe and slippers though...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 05:08:56 pm »
It's kind of funny how when you get out of the water in cold weather, you have a minute or two before it starts to get really cold.  Unless as wmmcall said, the wind is blowing.  My wife got frostbit on her face last year in the spa.  It was pretty windy that night.  That cut the soak short.
Brewman
Brewman

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2004, 09:45:10 pm »
Getting in is actually tougher than getting out. When you get into a spa in the dead of winter, your body is not "super heated" as it is when you are existing the tub. My recommendation is that you plan to remove the cover prior to getting "suited up". Then wearing a robe and some nice slippers with god traction capabilities (wife bought some for around $20 off Lands end I think) you can get in and out easily. Getting out you really do have more time than you would think as your body retains the heat pretty well. With temps around 20 degrees you can still take 15-30 seconds to get dry before heading in without any temp problems. Once it's down to zero, you only have about 5-10 seconds to dry off before heading in. If you get the same slippers I have, you've also got good traction and will help keeping you from slipping on the snow.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2004, 09:45:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42