What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Most efficient entry and exit in cold weather?  (Read 14924 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Most efficient entry and exit in cold weather?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2004, 11:43:30 am »
That reminds me of something Mrs. Brewman did last winter.  We were soaking away in January, with about 2 feet of snow on the ground.  
The wife decided to roll in the snow, just as Drewski described.  So she climbs out of the spa, dashes to the edge of the patio where the snow starts, and does a back flop down onto the snow.  Only she doesn't realize that the snow wasn't all fluffy like she expected.  It was rock hard, having been thawed and re frozed a few times.  I don't think she even broke thru the crust.  
The whole thing happened so fast I wasn't able to warn her about the snow pack.  
Luckily she has a good sense of humor, so I didn't get in trouble for laughing my a*s off, and she was unharmed.
Lesson learned, I guess.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2004, 11:43:30 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2004, 12:21:48 pm »
Tell her we're all laughing (WITH her of course). :D
220, 221, whatever it takes!

pcaulfi

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2004, 02:11:39 pm »

Here is a case for people to learn from the fool's mistake.  Sometimes I would get lazy and not brush the snow off the cover, letting it fall off when the cover got to its vertical location.  With an inch of dry powdery snow, no problem,  But with an inch of wet snow, the cover weight probably doubles puts a huge strain on the cover lifter breaking it and cracking the tub's skirt.

Another reason for removing the snow is the strain it puts on the hingle material between the cover halves when you fold it over. Jamming a couple of inched into the hinge space will really stretch the material and the stitching.

Pat

new owner

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2004, 03:08:50 pm »
You've gotten lots of advice on soaking in the winter but not much on taking kids in the tub.

We got our tub in July and wanted to take our 4- and 7-year-old in but were paranoid, so I asked our pediatrician. Surprisingly, she seemed more concerned about water cleanliness than the heat. Said she's seen some nasty skin infections in hot tub kids, so keep that water meticulously clean and watch the boo-boos.

Our kids aren't exactly toddlers, though, so they can probably handle the heat better than your little one. Still--we keep the water 100 or below for them. The thing is, their bath water is probably hotter than that, but they aren't in the bath up to their necks, so you need to watch them carefully. If ours start to look at all  flushed in the face, we make them get out. Ours can tell us when they are hot, but won't always admit it!

The kids love it. And I've found yet another therapuetic benefit--it really calms our autistic son when he is having a rough day!

So have fun and be careful!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2004, 03:18:01 pm »
. If ours start to look at all  flushed in the face, we make them get out. Ours can tell us when they are hot, but won't always admit it!

So have fun and be careful!

Great post.  Clearly parents have to be careful, and informed on what to look for.  When it doubt, throw them out.  ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

zacman

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2004, 10:50:05 pm »

120 ft?  That might be a record for poeple here. Top on my list during installation planning was shortening that distance as much as possible (10 ft in my case)

We wanted it near the pool and pool house as it gets used when / while we use the pool.  Live on a ranch and house is some distance from the pool house.  It is also on another level - the pool pad is about 7 feet lower than where the house is.  It is a bit far, but overall it works out best down there.  Fortunately, we don't get snow that often but it does get cold here in the foothills in the winter.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2004, 11:30:35 am »
I also keep mine at 100 or below for our 4 year old and 2 year old. They  love it especially the 4 year old.  He never wants to get out.  I think another thing you will notice is that the little kids don't spend a lot of time 'neck deep' in water.  Mine is constantly jumping from seat to seat, standing up, sitting down, moving around, chasing his diving rings, squirting his water guns, playing ball, splashing dad, hanging over the edge...he is definitely not in there for a good soak, so he never really gets overheated.   I also make sure he drinks fluids while he is in the tub.  If I let him, I think he would sleep in there as well!!!  Of course the most important thing is parental supervision and use your best judgement, if you think they are getting over heated, get them out, but as long as the temp in the tub is not too high and the water is clean(as mentioned before) your kids will love it..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 11:32:53 am by Perk1 »

stingfan

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2004, 09:08:03 pm »
Perk1
I also have one that uses the hot tub like a pool (6 yrs. old).  She is constantly moving in and out, up on the cool-down seat, out on the deck, then back in the water. I have found that 101 degrees is just right to please all of us.

As for this "cold weather entry" thread:

I CAN'T WAIT TO USE MY TUB THIS WINTER!!!   It has been my husband's goal to use the tub on New Year's Eve (when there will, of course, be falling snow here in northern Michigan) and bring in the new year with a warm body and snow in our hair.

I am reading the tips on slippers and robes with great interest....making plans......I never thought about my feet freezing to the deck.........yikes!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2004, 09:08:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42