What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: high pH and alkalinity, which method?  (Read 2583 times)

stingfan

high pH and alkalinity, which method?
« on: September 08, 2004, 05:25:26 pm »
My alkalinity is over 200 and my pH is 8.4 when I first fill my tub.  I have to use ALOT of sodium bisulfate to get into range......as in CUPS of it. Won't this raise my total dissolved solids?

I have seen a product that is a liquid pH decreaser (actually dilute hydrochloric acid) and it's advertised for lowering alkalinity in pools and spas that have "difficult high alkalinity"  The product is called AquaMagic.

Has anyone ever used this?  Wouldn't it be better to use this acid, rather than using the granules which will increase my TDS?  

Comments anyone......

Hot Tub Forum

high pH and alkalinity, which method?
« on: September 08, 2004, 05:25:26 pm »

huh?

• "42"
Re: high pH and alkalinity, which method?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 08:59:34 pm »
If liquids must be better.  Dissolve the granuals in water first.  Then they are no longer solid ;D
¿

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 09:15:20 pm »
Sting,
Muriatic acid (liquid pH decreaser) is recommended for people on well water with very high alk readings. It's a quick & easy way to lower alk when instructed how to do so properly. As a result of using this, you will knock out pH but it's always critical to adjust alk first. The pH will tend to stabilize once alk is in the correct range. 80 -120 is goodand being that you're not too far off, diluting granular acid (pH decreaser) will do the trick when the correct amounts are added. This is based off of your volume and initial alk readings.

This adjustment isn't immediate and you don't want to over-shoot the correct reading. It might take 24 -48 hours with steady filtration to get the results you're after. Be patient. For this reason, I don't recommend using muriatic acid in your case.

Steve

stingfan

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 09:34:47 am »
to "huh"
I see you are being humorous, but the issue is the TDS.  I believe that using an acid, rather than a salt of an acid (sodium bisulfate) will introduce less total dissolved solids into my water.  When I fill up once more before winter, I want my water to last as long as possible (not have to empty due to high TDS in the middle of January).  My question was, is it okay to use a pure acid (diluted for safety of course) rather than using the granules which increase TDS.  

Thank you for the advice Steve.  You must not feel that adding 2 cups or so of granules will increase my TDS enough to worry about it.  Is that correct?  

Are there actually people with well water having a higher alkalinity than mine? (230mg/L)  yikes! ;)

Pooldevil

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 10:49:11 am »
Hi
Yes you can use Hydrochloric acid but be very careful as a little makes a very large adjustment !   The last thing you want is to create an acid condition and the need to add pH increaser ....
I am told you can also use white vinegar !
::)

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 09:25:57 pm »
Purely humor my freind.  No harm intended. ;D
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
¿

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 09:25:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42