What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine Tablets and Non Chlorine Shock (oxidizer)  (Read 3384 times)

Baleklocoon

Bromine Tablets and Non Chlorine Shock (oxidizer)
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:37:14 am »
New Jacuzzi J315 with UV and Ozone: I have 5 Bromine tablets in my filter with the setting opened all the way so they will dissolve a little faster. When I put in a non chlorine shock (what came included when I bought the tub) my bromine jumps up to 10ppm.  Then over 3-4 days my bromine level gradually drops to 0ppm. I add the non chlorine shock again and repeat. I'd like to keep a more steady level of Bromine in the tub. Any advice?

Also, isn't my ozone supposed to oxidize the bromine? Is what I described an indication that my ozone generator isn't generating ozone? It's making bubbles. I don't really know what it's supposed to smell like. I smell something but I'm not sure if I'm smelling bromine or ozone.

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine Tablets and Non Chlorine Shock (oxidizer)
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:37:14 am »

gmdodt

Re: Bromine Tablets and Non Chlorine Shock (oxidizer)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 11:34:31 pm »
You need to establish an initial bromine reserve before you start with the floater/shocking.  The tablets are not dissolving fast enough to create the reserve.  Just google "bromine reserve" and youll find all you need to know.   

Michael Russell

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 01:02:43 pm »
Reading along and I had to search to.. Here is the article I read.. Seems to make the good sense...

https://www.hottubworks.com/blog/how-to-brominate-a-spa-or-hot-tub/

bradleyabell

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 01:16:58 pm »
Does anyone know the positive/negative effects of using Dichlor vs MPS in the same method the original poster uses?

I use a bromine floater and always start with a nice bromide reserve (bank), but I use a small amount of dichlor after each use.

gmdodt

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 09:23:03 am »
I think it's pretty indifferent as to what you use to shock on a routine basis. Now, there is a difference in the PHs of the products and such but as far as whatbthey ultimately do, both recharge the bromine so to speak so that it can sanitize. My dealer gave me the "renew" or "replenish" stuff to use after each soak which is dichlor based. I kinda alternate between mps and dichlor.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 05:21:30 pm »
I think it's pretty indifferent as to what you use to shock on a routine basis. Now, there is a difference in the PHs of the products and such but as far as whatbthey ultimately do, both recharge the bromine so to speak so that it can sanitize. My dealer gave me the "renew" or "replenish" stuff to use after each soak which is dichlor based. I kinda alternate between mps and dichlor.

I liked dichlor for shocking, its strong (kills nasties) and dissipates quickly. MPS/bromine makes me itch.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 05:21:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42