What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HotSpring Vanguard Vs. Marquis Reward  (Read 2232 times)

TimC

HotSpring Vanguard Vs. Marquis Reward
« on: September 07, 2004, 10:49:40 pm »
Well, my Father-in-law and I were about to go and get a two tub deal at the local HotSprings Dealer.

Then he visited the Marquis guy and has put a down payment on a reward.

Can you all comment on the items below?

Some of our debates are around

1) Insulation closed cell vs. open cell

2) 100% filtration 100% of the time

3) Circ Pump vs. two speed pump

3) Base -  wood vs. woodx

4) Heater

5) Warranty

6) Bottom drain taking up interior space on HotSpring (i.e. Deeper seats in Reward)

7) Energy Usage  (kinda relates to Filtration and Pumps)

Thanks

Tim

Hot Tub Forum

HotSpring Vanguard Vs. Marquis Reward
« on: September 07, 2004, 10:49:40 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: HotSpring Vanguard Vs. Marquis Reward
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 11:29:07 pm »
Well, my Father-in-law and I were about to go and get a two tub deal at the local HotSprings Dealer.

Have you looked at both?
1) Insulation closed cell vs. open cell

They both use an open cell as far as I know, HotSpring uses a very heavy closed cell in place of fiberglass and a thin layer of an even heavier closed cell on the bottom. While Marquis uses an open cell with a bacteria inhibitor and properties that don't "lock" any moisture in the foam with fiberglass as the shell support and a DuraBase on the bottom
2) 100% filtration 100% of the time

They both have this.
3) Circ Pump vs. two speed pump
Both will be similar in cost of operation. Marquis used a circ pump for years and found that they could turn over more water with one less system and no need to forgo the cost of a specialty heater. HotSpring lends themselves to the philosophy of the 24 hour pump supplies constant ozonation.

3) Base -  wood vs. woodx

As far as I know HotSpring does not just use wood they use pressure treated. Marquis has a fully enclosed polymer base with a 7 year warranty
4) Heater

both are effective HotSpring uses a low flow specialty heater that Chas or one of the HotSpring guys can explain. Marquis uses a flow thru element made out of Incoloy alloy 825 that is composed of nickel-iron-chromium with additions of molybdenum, copper, and titanium. I have seen less than a 1% failure on this element.
5) Warranty

Not only are both great warranties but both companies are known to stand behind them very well. Marquis does cover some additional things such as filter cover, cover locks, pump seals, covers, light bulbs and fuses. They also have 7 years on the DuraWood siding, DuraBase and Plumbing vs. HotSprings 5 years. HotSpring covers their surface and structure for 7.

6) Bottom drain taking up interior space on HotSpring (i.e. Deeper seats in Reward)

Both have a bottom drain.

7) Energy Usage  (kinda relates to Filtration and Pumps)

As I stated above both will be similar in energy usage.

TimC

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 11:44:28 pm »
Thanks Stuart.

I have actually wet tested both and like both for different reasons.

The various jets in the HotSprings is appealing.

The deeper seating in the Reward is nice.

The Whirlpool setting on the Reward is also nice but wasn't what I expected it to be.

The HotSprings dealer sad that the Marquis are not 100% filtration since the bottom returns do not go through the filter when the pumps are running.  Is he wrong?

The Marquis dealer said that the Bottom drain in the Reward adds an additional 2 inches that takes away from interior space vs. the slightly side-bottom drain in the Reward.  Is this True?

Thanks

Tim

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 11:44:30 am »
The HotSprings dealer sad that the Marquis are not 100% filtration since the bottom returns do not go through the filter when the pumps are running.  Is he wrong?

Wrong! The returns on the Reward are both directly plumbed to the filter.

The Marquis dealer said that the Bottom drain in the Reward adds an additional 2 inches that takes away from interior space vs. the slightly side-bottom drain in the Reward.  Is this True?

If you mean that by placing the drain to the side like Marquis vs. in the center of the spa like Hotspring then yes, you get a bit deeper seating although seating in the HotSpring is fine. If you look at the bottom drain on the Marquis you will notice that it does not set directly in the center of the floor where it can be stepped on or have plumbing under the foot well, it actually is tucked over in the corner.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 12:48:53 pm »
Even if one has merit over the other how much emphasis do you want to put on placement of the drain? I would add however that I believe those bottom drains should be very low profile and fit into the gap between the bottom of the shell and the support framing so I don't think they limit footwell height. Concentrate on fit/feel from the wet test and how comfortable you are with the dealers (hopefully both are top notch). As far as filtration goes, both should be just fine.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 12:48:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42