What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot or cold water for initial tub fill?  (Read 2657 times)

Ohiotubbin

Hot or cold water for initial tub fill?
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:14:40 am »
Hello again. Still waiting for my caldera Marino to be delivered.  I was thinking about when I fill the tub I have an electric tankless water heater that lets me set the exact temperature of my hot water in the house. We usually keep it at 117 degrees. The thing is super energy efficient, so my thought was instead of using cold ground water (northeast Ohio is usually in 40-50 range) I set my on-demand water heater to 102 and fill from my washer hot water spicket. Am I overlooking any reasons why this wouldn’t be a good idea? I figure I can save some money on the first heating too.

Also, since I am on well water with a softener, are there any specific concerns with the initial water chemistry I should be aware of? I am going to ask the dealer when they deliver to test the water and give me a specific instruction on this, but general knowledge is always appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot or cold water for initial tub fill?
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:14:40 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Hot or cold water for initial tub fill?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 12:14:16 pm »
Hi neighbor, state wide at least. I assume you are in NE Ohio.   This question gets asked a lot, but in my 15 years here, I think this is the first time anyone with one of the tank less heaters has asked.  Have you ever tried to get 300-400 gallons of hot water at once?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Ohiotubbin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:32:41 am »
I can’t say that I have, though in theory it should be an unlimited supply.  I don’t know if that long of a constant run of the heater would stress it too much or not.  How long does a fill take? 2 hours or so?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 02:41:57 am »
I can’t say that I have, though in theory it should be an unlimited supply.  I don’t know if that long of a constant run of the heater would stress it too much or not.  How long does a fill take? 2 hours or so?

It all come down to: what do you gain? Nothing that I see really.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 07:35:37 am »

It all come down to: what do you gain? Nothing that I see really.

The only thing you gain is the ability to go in sooner. They both cost about the same to heat.
Retired

gmdodt

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 10:11:56 am »
My manual says specifically not to fill with hot water as it can mess up sensors

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 10:57:41 am »
My manual says specifically not to fill with hot water as it can mess up sensors

The only way I'd consider this is as a supplement to the regular fill method so the starting temp was higher and furthermore I'd only do that if it were the dead of winter.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 10:57:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42