What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: need some first time advice!  (Read 6292 times)

ratking20

need some first time advice!
« on: August 06, 2018, 12:55:41 pm »
looking for a middle of the road tub.  i want a quality tub but dont need most of the bells and whistles. probably around 6 person with or without a lounge(not sure yet) heres what i am considering.....

> marquis e series
> artesian island series(or island elite) . not sure what the differences are exactly, any help?
> bullfrog R series

any others i should be considering( sundance? hot spring?)

obviously biggest thing is price. but problem is its impossible to find prices online? can anyone give me an idea to what these should cost???

features i want... led lights, stainless jets, fully insulated, strong frame, strong shell
features i dont need... wifi, stereo, waterfall
features i dont know yet.... not sure about sanitation or filtration features, multiple pumps and controls?

I have many close dealers here in brooklyn NY, but i do plan on wet testing a few if i can

any help would be great, especially with pricing?

Hot Tub Forum

need some first time advice!
« on: August 06, 2018, 12:55:41 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: need some first time advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 01:49:49 pm »

What you want is a quality spa from a quality spa maker. The good news is that every good spa maker makes premium, mid level and entry level models. They'll have spas with waterfalls, fancy lights... but also models where they take the bells & whistles out to meet a lower price point.

I'd suggest you go to the websites of all the top spa makers and use their dealer locator to see who is local to you. Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance are reputable spa makers that end up on many pro lists. You may find a couple if you're in a smaller area or maybe even all in your general area if you're in a major market.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

HT34

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:41:07 pm »
I'm not sure what your budget is, but based on those 3 brands and looking at a "middle of the road" tub, then I would assume the bullfrog will be the most expensive.  No one can really give you a price because in one state X tub can be $10,000, while in a different state that same X tub is $8,500...you just have to call or go there in person and ask.  But I can give you an example of the middle of the road tubs from each brand and tell you what I got quoted for because I am cross-shopping these exact brands, and for the middle of the road tubs, too. 

These prices are with what I wanted added in as options and WITHOUT tax.  Most options I chose where the inline sanitation (if available), full foam, environments steps (Marquis only) and cover lift...no ozonator, stereo system, upgraded lighting etc. 

Marquis - Vector21 V84 ($7,900)
              e series 750 ($7,900)

Artesian - Island Captiva (not elite) ($8,200)
               South Seas 748B ($6,600)

Bullfrog - R6 ($9,300)
              R7 ($10,600)

I also prefer these 3 brands you are looking at to Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, etc....just my opinion.  Also, of the 3 brands you are looking at, the Marquis and Artesian will have a stronger shell compared to bullfrog.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:44:31 pm by HT34 »

Sam

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 06:13:16 pm »
I'm not sure what your budget is, but based on those 3 brands and looking at a "middle of the road" tub, then I would assume the bullfrog will be the most expensive.  No one can really give you a price because in one state X tub can be $10,000, while in a different state that same X tub is $8,500...you just have to call or go there in person and ask.  But I can give you an example of the middle of the road tubs from each brand and tell you what I got quoted for because I am cross-shopping these exact brands, and for the middle of the road tubs, too. 

These prices are with what I wanted added in as options and WITHOUT tax.  Most options I chose where the inline sanitation (if available), full foam, environments steps (Marquis only) and cover lift...no ozonator, stereo system, upgraded lighting etc. 

e series 750 ($7,900)

South Seas 748B ($6,600)

Bullfrog - R6 ($9,300)
              R7 ($10,600)

I also prefer these 3 brands you are looking at to Sundance, Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, etc....just my opinion.  Also, of the 3 brands you are looking at, the Marquis and Artesian will have a stronger shell compared to bullfrog.

Fyi, the captiva is available in quite a few jet configurations with a whole bunch of options so that price could be good or bad, depending on how many jets, if it has footblasters, even the warranty whether it's 3 years or 5 years.  There are even 4 different lighting options for example.  The 748B is a pretty good price and doesn't really have a lot of options.

HT34

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 07:16:28 pm »
Very true....i wasn't specific enough.  Our captiva is spec'd with no lighting package, standard footwell (52 jet) foot massage...not the blaster style and 3 year warrenty.  I believe even this series comes full foamed standard.

Sam does bring up a point with all of these certain lines.  That makes it even more complicated when it comes to pricing.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 07:42:36 pm »

e series 750 ($7,900)

South Seas 748B ($6,600)

Bullfrog - R6 ($9,300)
              R7 ($10,600)

Just for curiosity sake why do you think the Marquis and Artesian will have a stronger shell then a BF?  I have only seen that mentioned on one other website before and the website has all kinds of inaccuracies on Marquis on it even though Marquis is one of his favorite tubs. I’m a Marquis dealer so I have no dog in the fight with Bullfrog. Just wondering why you feel that way

HT34

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 08:33:56 pm »

e series 750 ($7,900)

South Seas 748B ($6,600)

Bullfrog - R6 ($9,300)
              R7 ($10,600)

Just for curiosity sake why do you think the Marquis and Artesian will have a stronger shell then a BF?  I have only seen that mentioned on one other website before and the website has all kinds of inaccuracies on Marquis on it even though Marquis is one of his favorite tubs. I’m a Marquis dealer so I have no dog in the fight with Bullfrog. Just wondering why you feel that way
It's self supporting, where the bullfrog has supports.  It's that simple.  It's like anything, if something needs supports it doesn't have enough of strength to support what is going in/on it.  Especially for a hot tub, i want the strongest i can get.  A hot tub with water and 4-6 adults is going to be easily over 2 tons.  I don't know for a FACT which one will outlast which, but in theory something self supported vs supported seems better built...yes/no?  Maybe I'm wrong?  Again my opinion.

I will be honest...i all but eliminated bullfrog from my list.  I think it is a good tub, no doubt.  But WAY overpriced.  I have seen inside all 3 of these companies tubs, and i honestly think the artesian and marquis are hands down a better tub....period.

Who are you referring to in your post that you heard this from before?

I have been to jacuzzi, sundance, caldera and hot springs dealers, too.  Again, some nice tubs, but WAY overpriced.  I don't work for anyone or am biased towards any company.  I am looking to buy soon and have been shopping hardcore the past couple of months and just sharing my opinion on what i think of these companies.  It's just like buying a car....but harder.

ratking20

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 09:00:55 pm »
thanks for all the info.  hottubguy> which model are you leaning towards.  i am in the very beginning of my search and am in no hurry at all. but the one that stands out to me as a must try right now is the artesian island series. just from a price, features, and review standpoint.  hopefully i get to try out many. how do u feel on the stainless jets? do these models come standard with them, do u think they are worth the upgrade?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 09:12:03 pm »

e series 750 ($7,900)

South Seas 748B ($6,600)

Bullfrog - R6 ($9,300)
              R7 ($10,600)

It's self supporting, where the bullfrog has supports.  It's that simple.  It's like anything, if something needs supports it doesn't have enough of strength to support what is going in/on it.  Especially for a hot tub, i want the strongest i can get.  A hot tub with water and 4-6 adults is going to be easily over 2 tons.  I don't know for a FACT which one will outlast which, but in theory something self supported vs supported seems better built...yes/no?  Maybe I'm wrong?  Again my opinion.

I will be honest...i all but eliminated bullfrog from my list.  I think it is a good tub, no doubt.  But WAY overpriced.  I have seen inside all 3 of these companies tubs, and i honestly think the artesian and marquis are hands down a better tub....period.

I have been to jacuzzi, sundance, caldera and hot springs dealers, too.  Again, some nice tubs, but WAY overpriced.  I don't work for anyone or am biased towards any company.  I am looking to buy soon and have been shopping hardcore the past couple of months and just sharing my opinion on what i think of these companies.  It's just like buying a car....but harder.

If brand a has a self supporting shell and brand b doesn't yet both have a lifetime warranty on the shell is one better than the other?
Retired

HT34

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 09:16:42 pm »

e series 750 ($7,900)

South Seas 748B ($6,600)

Bullfrog - R6 ($9,300)
              R7 ($10,600)

If brand a has a self supporting shell and brand b doesn't yet both have a lifetime warranty on the shell is one better than the other?
Yes, again IMO, brand A has a better shell.  For the end user it won't be relevant because of the warranty.  However, if something happens to the shell, then the user has a headache on their hands. 

Why don't we all agree to disagree and not hijack the OP's thread.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 09:31:13 pm »
thanks for all the info.  hottubguy> which model are you leaning towards.  i am in the very beginning of my search and am in no hurry at all. but the one that stands out to me as a must try right now is the artesian island series. just from a price, features, and review standpoint.  hopefully i get to try out many. how do u feel on the stainless jets? do these models come standard with them, do u think they are worth the upgrade?

I own a Marquis and sell Marquis, Caldera and Nordic. I don’t have much knowledge of Artesian. Not a big presence in my area but generally have heard good things about them

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 09:36:52 pm »

e series 750 ($7,900)

South Seas 748B ($6,600)

Bullfrog - R6 ($9,300)
              R7 ($10,600)

The BF prices you posted are inline with what most sell those tubs for. The Marquis especially with those options are ridiculously cheap. Being where you are at the beginning stage the E750 won’t be around when you are ready to buy. I believe the last day to order that tub is August 20th. I’m easily in the R series price point on the vector. Looks like you have found a couple tubs that will work out for you.

There is a website that is sort of like a forum up in Canada with almost your exact words as the reason why he doesn’t like BF. Good luck in your search

ratking20

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 09:38:55 pm »
ht34 what tub are you leaning towards purchasing? 

HT34

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 09:47:35 pm »

e series 750 ($7,900)

South Seas 748B ($6,600)

Bullfrog - R6 ($9,300)
              R7 ($10,600)

The BF prices you posted are inline with what most sell those tubs for. The Marquis especially with those options are ridiculously cheap. Being where you are at the beginning stage the E750 won’t be around when you are ready to buy. I believe the last day to order that tub is August 20th. I’m easily in the R series price point on the vector. Looks like you have found a couple tubs that will work out for you.

There is a website that is sort of like a forum up in Canada with almost your exact words as the reason why he doesn’t like BF. Good luck in your search
You are correct.  The 750 is going.  I even think their website only has the 750 and 425 left.  Yes, i believe my dealer has some good prices.  That is why it is hard to give prices on here.

HT34

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 09:53:25 pm »
ht34 what tub are you leaning towards purchasing?
I really like the marquis v84, but my wife is on the fence because of the styling.  My dealer just ordered in a broadway elite...so i will check this out soon.  I really like the artesian captiva, too.  But, my dealer isn't great on communicating, so unfortunately it doesn't look too good for me having an artesian in my backyard.  I think i am going to end up with a vector or celebrity elite.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 09:53:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42