What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: water chemistry woes  (Read 2058 times)

silversun

water chemistry woes
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:24:59 pm »
My choline demand is off the charts. here's the background: I have been using the dichlor/bleach method since my last water change a couple months ago, and have been using the tub sparingly (once per week).
- I was going away for a few days and poured a little extra bleach into it.
-  when i returned the water was cloudy and the PH and ALK had drifted up from 7.7 to 8+, and from 55 to 80 respectively.
- I shocked with MPS, added PH down, and then added dichlor to 15PPM.
- I cleaned the filter.

- I came back today (two days later) and while pH and ALK are in range (7.6 and 55), my free chlorine was zero. that's over 95% chlorine demand by my calculations.
- even though the water was clear at rest, turning on the jets created a milky cloud.
- I added some bleach to get to 10PPM but I feel like i'm on a hamster wheel, and the chlorine demand will keep me adding bleach constantly.
- for 'backup' to my sanitizer, I'm using the sun purity mineral cartridge, clear ray UV light, and high output ozone.

why would my chlorine demand suddenly spike without anyone even using the hot tub, and how do I break the chlorine demand without having to dump it and start over?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:06:42 pm by silversun »

Hot Tub Forum

water chemistry woes
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:24:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42