What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying a Hot Tub is such a drag - why?  (Read 4489 times)

glancyoaks

Buying a Hot Tub is such a drag - why?
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:36:44 pm »
Hello, I am new like many folks year. I have a Hot Springs Sovereign that I need to replace - 20 + years old and used every morning. I have fixed and or replaced quite enough of it through the years and am done. I suppose I could fix this new problem but I am tired of digging into it. SO......I do research and have come to the conclusion that I am ready to switch to a Marquis Reward without the lounger. SO, I go to the local Marquis dealer close to Sacramento. First I email him and receive a rude reply. Later he told me he thought I was someone else who wasted his time. I didn't think anything of it at the time. So, after 4 emails trying to pry info out of him I ended up full circle with my original question....What do you have filled on your showroom floor? Why was that so difficult to answer. So, I go two days in a row to ask questions - I noticed right away that these modern tubs are not bench oriented but have what I call lots of low seating. I start asking about the Reward and I get a barrage of misdirection and script reading. A push for Dimension 1 and Vector21. I did like the jets in the Vector21 but I wanted to see the V84 which they don't have. Well, I know they can't have every tub in the showroom - Oh, they made sure to tell me this obvious fact in a rather condescending manner. I do some research at home on the Vector21 and ask them some questions via email. Their response is that they will answer my emails if I come in. Really? I was there two days in a row. Geez - It will be easier to dig not my current spa then to play games with these people. Is the competition that severe in this business? They behaved so secretively. I feel like I am communicating with a drug dealer. Unfortunately they are the only Marquis dealer within close proximity. Such a drag....

Hot Tub Forum

Buying a Hot Tub is such a drag - why?
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:36:44 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Buying a Hot Tub is such a drag - why?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:42:53 pm »
The Marquis Reward is not available without a lounge. Why the dealer is acting like you are hassling him is a bit strange. I think Marquis has a factory store in Sacramento, though not 100% positive. I think the Marquis you should look at if you don’t want a lounge would be the euphoria. Vector 84, E-750 or Vegas elite would be other options worth checking out if you are stuck on Marquis

silversun

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:04:59 pm »
As a consumer I can sympathize. I had a similar experience buying a tub last year, which was well documented here on this forum
It's a good question you ask about why there's so much secrecy in this industry. it's difficult to get a direct question answered, and the service after the sale seems to be even worse. Further, while the dealers on this forum are helpful in general, they seems to avoid these conversations even when there anonymity is +- protected.
WHY??
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:08:12 pm by silversun »

glancyoaks

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:05:28 pm »
Yes, I am clear on the fact that the Reward has a lounge. I should have clarified that I am willing to live with one for the three hot zone areas - the neck, the feet, and the mid back. None of the others - w/o going into a huge tub that I do not need - offer these areas. It sounds like you are aware of the tubs. SO, can you truly tell me what the differences are between the Signature and Vector21 series. I could never get a straight answer! I am still interested in knowing everything that is different between the two series. Are the HK40 jets more or less powerful than those in the Vector21? What other differences are there between the two tubs - the cost differential is substantial. Thank you for any elucidating answers! Art

Oh, one other thing - why don't the spa manufacturers give some sort of specifics as to the depth of each of the seats? Anything to help us since they don't carry all the models on the floor.

castletonia

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:19:54 pm »
First, I would look for a different dealer.  If they are this bad to deal with before you buy, it is not going to get any better after you buy.

Signature series has a thicker better quality cabinet along with the sealed bottom pan.  Also, full foam insulation, ozone, and in-line system are standard vs being optional on the Vector21.  You also get the 5 year vs 3 year parts warranty.  I believe the cover on the Signature uses 2lb foam with full-length heat seal vs the Vector being 1lb foam and without the full-length heat seal.  You also have different therapy designs and shell designs. 

HK40 jets are usually a cluster of 5 jets for either the lower back or upper back/shoulders.  To get the optimal effect you are turning off all other jets that the pump powers to get the 40gpm from each jet.  It is a different, more powerful feeling, more precise jet than what you are getting in the Vector's.  A wet test will make the difference more obvious since I am struggling to put it into words.

If you are set on Marquis, also look into the Promise.  It won't have the HK40 jets but will provide you a more compact spa with great seat depth variety. 

glancyoaks

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 11:58:02 pm »
Yes, I did look at the Promise. In fact, this is what the dealer had filled. It only has one hot zone - at your feet. I actually don't mind climbing down there to get my lower back = this is what I have been doing with my Hot Springs Sovereign for over 10 years now. I was just hoping that if I spend this much money, I might be able to get what I want. But, I hear you! Thanks, Art

Sam

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 02:52:43 pm »
I personally would refuse to buy from a company that won't answer questions over email.  That's just absurd.  There are a lot of crappy dealers in this industry and they give us good ones a bad name.  There are other good spas out there so I suggest moving on. 

glancyoaks

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 11:06:20 pm »
Thank you for that Sam. I've been trying to determine if it was me or them. They talked about being in business for 30 years. I looked at Yelp and notify that while there are money positive reviews, the negative reviews pretty much all mirrored my experience.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 03:38:36 pm »
First I email him and receive a rude reply. Later he told me he thought I was someone else who wasted his time.

I had the same thing happen to me regarding email when I first bought in 2003. I would assume people are more use to email these days!    But that was a Master Spa Dealer, back when we had a local dealer, maybe he knew his days were numbered.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drprwnap

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 06:23:14 pm »
Be careful with Marquis. As a former Epic owner, they are quite expensive to repair. I chose to sell mine when I needed a new board. This would be the THIRD board in 14 years. The first replacement board came after 7 years.  So, a new board every 7 years?!? At the cost of $585 plus installation, I was angry, especially since you can't buy this part online. I did like the tub, just too expensive to keep running.
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

MarKee

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 07:24:25 pm »
Be careful with Marquis. As a former Epic owner, they are quite expensive to repair. I chose to sell mine when I needed a new board. This would be the THIRD board in 14 years. The first replacement board came after 7 years.  So, a new board every 7 years?!? At the cost of $585 plus installation, I was angry, especially since you can't buy this part online. I did like the tub, just too expensive to keep running.

Having been around these spas for the last 15 years, it's rare to ever see 1 PC board go bad.  3 sounds very bizarre, and something leads me to believe there is other attributing factors.  Things that can wear on PC boards are extreme heat in the cabinet, wire gauge sizes being incorrect, and wire connections somewhere in the multiple connections getting to the spa not having the right contacts.

Marquis uses Balboa electronics which are the industry standard for reliability.  It's unfortunate to hear about 3 PC boards, but just know that your case is very different from the norm.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 07:24:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42