What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Artesian Spas  (Read 11627 times)

flamingoezz

Artesian Spas
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:03:51 pm »
I visited my local Jacuzzi, D1 and now Artesian Dealer.  I must say Artesian was by far the dealer I'd trust most.  Two models appealed to me -- the Grand Bahamas Elite ($9,999) and the Antigua Elite ($8,999). Both come with steps, cover, lifter, starter chemicals.

A few questions:

Are those prices pretty fair? Would welcome what others paid on island elite series..

Do you find their jets to be stronger than average? -- i didn't wet test yet but feeling the jets with my hand it was hard to tell. Want to make sure the 3HP pumps for individual seats are comparable with other spas that have fewer, more powerful pumps since i like a more forceful massage.

I'd be happy with a spa that can seat 4 a little cozy, but 3 without playing footsie.  The 7' Antigua looked like the footwell might be a little tight when people are occupying both captain's chairs.  Anyone whose sat in one comment?

Hot Tub Forum

Artesian Spas
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:03:51 pm »

The Wizard of Spas

Re: Artesian Spas
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 10:15:31 am »
The best way to answer your question is to wet test:  "Strength" of the motor/jets is subjective.  Try it out for yourself and then the answer will be clear.

The Island Elite series does well with the (2) DirectFlow zones as they negate the need for larger pumps- the motors sit under the seat and are plumbed directly to the chair.  Its a really neat feature.  They have patented double helix jets which feel like a spinning, pulsing jet but doesnt have the moving parts associated with said jets.  In all- Artesian is a great brand and when I did sell them I really had great support with any service or warranty needs- A bonus to both the dealer and the consumer.

Overall- You're looking at 2 really outstanding brands so if you made a U-turn and decided on the Jacuzzi, you'll still be getting a great quality tub.  Its really all about the feel so wet test and go from there.  Good luck moving forward.

flamingoezz

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 03:53:37 pm »
I plan to wet test in a week or two.

any comment on the pricing? When I go back I want to be ready to pull the trigger if I like it.

I understand the jet strength and comfort can be subjective. Any opinions on their parts and longevity (jets, motors, etc)?  Having individual motors for certain seats is a big selling point for me, but I don't want to see it turn into a money pit either

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 05:49:46 pm »
Pricing seems a smidge high for me but there are a lot of variables in pricing:  Location, delivery, extras, etc.  Overall its probably in the same pricing as a cross-section of Artesian dealers, but I'd prefer an actual Artesian dealer to comment on that as they are more qualified than myself.

As for the motors- There is a lot to unpack in that question.  The bad, as you noted, is that when you increase the number of parts (in this case- motors) its inevitable that you increase the odds and costs of replacing said parts.  That is just common sense. 

The good, though, is that you may camp out in one of the two DirectFlow seats.  That is the motor that gets used extensively (with the circulation pump handling heating, filtering, ozone, etc), while the other pumps (1 DirectFlow pump, and then either 1 or 2 more motors for the rest of the seats, depending on which tub you purchase) not getting much use save for when you're having guests over.  Therefor those motors may have a longer lifespan than, say, a tub that has 2 motors that are always in use b/c each one handles half of the spa.  Make sense?

Its probably a net-zero in reality.  I can see how one could lean towards the "bad" and others can lean towards the "good."  Artesian uses Balboa motors who, from my limited interaction on the motor-side of things, have done well in my personal experience.  I'll leave it to others with more experience with that particular brand, however, to expound upon the reputation of Balboa motors. 

Their jets are CMP and they are great.  I personally prefer CMP over Waterway.  Additionally, I'd check into the pan base if I were you.  It is an add-on but I like it when spas go beyond the 3/16" ABS sheet stapled to the bottom of the tub, and offer additional protection from the elements, critters, etc.  Their ozone is Plasma, I believe, and that is a pretty long-lasting generator (up to 5 years).  Some people opt for the Crystal AOP or Diamond AOP but I dont like the replacement costs, vs, say, getting the @ease in-line sanitizer.  But that is all ancillary to the larger picture- which is Artesian is a fine product with quality parts and a great reputation.  And, if the wet test doesn't end up going well and you look back into Jacuzzi, their tubs are great as well and this is a perfect fall-back option for you. 

I hope this helps. 

JustAnotherNewbie

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 12:40:36 am »
Hi there,
I purchased an Island Margarita Elite two years ago. I'm happy to report to you we are very happy with the purchase and I use it every day. The tub is high quality and the warranty for the Elite series is better then most. We did have an issue with a pump, which was our fault. We utilized the warranty  service call. He fixed the problem and replaced the topside control due to condensation free except for the trip charge. So as far as quality and service experience big thumbs up.
Now as to the price. I live in southern Ca. We paid a little over $10 all in for the tub. I'm not sure exactly,  you can check my posts from 15/16 and may find the info helpful. That's a couple years ago.
As far as space, how many people do you expect to be in at any time? I originally  planned party central, but in reality  , it's me by myself or the wife 99% of the time. So, my advice would be the smaller Antigua.
As far as comparing  power, I've been in a bunch of tubs and by far my Elite blows them all away. Jacuzzi,  HotSpring, Caldera,  all great, but Artesian  is best IMHO.
Good luck.

flamingoezz

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:09:03 am »
I purchased an Island Margarita Elite two years ago. We paid a little over $10 all in for the tub.

Thanks! I've had trouble finding prices that weren't 8-10 years old. The place I went to didn't seem very negotiable, but maybe if they smell a sale, I can get them to take 500 bucks off.  I can pay cash too, so there might be some leverage there.  Was yours a display model, or factory order?

As far as space, how many people do you expect to be in at any time? I originally planned party central, but in reality, it's me by myself or the wife 99% of the time. So, my advice would be the smaller Antigua.

I'll be in the tub daily.  My wife isn't that into it so she'll probably only use it occasionally. I really want to fit 3 very comfortably, since I could see a couple friends coming over to enjoy. If 4 can fit with only minor footsie going on that would be cool. My old tub was 86" x 79" so pretty similar size to the antigua and I think it was good enough for 95% of the time.  But $1000 more to be good all the time over the next 15 years doesn't seem like that much...oh, decisions  =p

flamingoezz

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 03:07:29 pm »
I thought the Grand Bahamas Elite was just a slightly larger Antigua Elite with some extra jets, but it appears it also has one more motor.  Does anyone know what I'm losing if I went with the Antigua?

Sam

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 02:21:30 pm »
You're not losing anything but a couple of jets (and size of course), the location of which makes them somewhat unnecessary.  For instance, 2 are in the cool down bench and another 2 are in a secondary seat that will probably see little use.

flamingoezz

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 02:26:43 pm »
Sam,
The Grand Bahamas Elite has 4 motors -- they allow corner seat #1, corner seat #2 and lounger to turn on/off separately.  I think the 4th is circulator.  With one fewer motor on the Antigua Elite, can it still control those seats in the same manner?  or is it missing the 24/7 circulation that the Grand Bahamas Elite has?

If you have the Antigua, any comment on how well it fits 3 or 4 people?

Sam

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 05:05:14 pm »
I sell Artesian.  The Antigua will fit 4 people but you are definitely playing footsie. 

The Grand Bahama has 5 pumps, one for the 3 main seats, one for the footblasters and a circ pump.  The Antiuga has 4.  On the Antigua, you still get one pump for each main seat but the lounger and the footblasters share a pump with a diverter valve allowing power split, plus the circ pump.  Jet power will be very similar with no discernible difference between the 2.

flamingoezz

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 09:06:20 am »
Thanks Sam, that is very helpful!  The pump layout seems nicer on the GB Elite since both captain chairs, the footblasters and the lounger can be at full power at once. 

Do you know if they changed the footwell for this year's antigua elite?  Their site and brochure seem to match the Grand Bahama Elite exactly (only fewer jets) -- but a video Antigua posted 8 months ago by Artesian (see below) shows a different shaped and seemingly smaller footwell.  Really just trying to get a handle on whether both captain seats be used at the same time without feeling scrunched together.  That would be a deciding factor for me.

Smaller footwell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BHq9squV0g  Shows the footwell pretty clearly at :29
Larger footwell http://artesianspas.com/island-spas/antigua-elite/

I sell Artesian.  The Antigua will fit 4 people but you are definitely playing footsie. 

The Grand Bahama has 5 pumps, one for the 3 main seats, one for the footblasters and a circ pump.  The Antiuga has 4.  On the Antigua, you still get one pump for each main seat but the lounger and the footblasters share a pump with a diverter valve allowing power split, plus the circ pump.  Jet power will be very similar with no discernible difference between the 2.

Sam

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 03:07:54 pm »
they did not change the footwell.  Must be optical illusion.  You can definitely sit in both captains chairs and the lounger simultaneously without feeling cramped.  It's the 4th person that makes it feel tight.

flamingoezz

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 09:26:34 am »
Thanks sam. when you say 3 fit comfortably and 4 tight, are you talking about the regular antigua or the antigua elite?  I'm just finding that they have different footwells..that is where the confusion on the video comes in.  When comparing side by side, it seems the Antigua has a smaller footwell, and they must have slimmed some of the seats in the elite series to make more foot space and mimic the GB Elite shell shape, just scaled down to 7'.

I think I'm leaning towards the Antigua Elite now, since 95% of the time 3 or fewer people will be in the tub. Since my local dealer has the GB Elite stocked and filled, and both models have similar jet layout, lounger and pump strength I think I'll wet test that and make a determination from there.  Thanks again for your knowledge Sam!

they did not change the footwell.  Must be optical illusion.  You can definitely sit in both captains chairs and the lounger simultaneously without feeling cramped.  It's the 4th person that makes it feel tight.

Sam

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 02:54:52 pm »
Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that the antigua elite and any other models are identical interior shapes and sizes.  It's very expensive to change molds and wouldn't make sense to slightly change it within a model.  (not counting the reverse mold add-ons for neck jets or foot domes)

flamingoezz

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 09:50:49 am »
Artesian's site and brochure both show different footwells on Antigua's Island and Island Elite Series. I guess they could have messed up the images on both..do you have the Elite at your location?

Antigua -https://artesianspas.com/wp-newsite/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/island-antigua.jpg

Antigua Elite - https://artesianspas.com/wp-newsite/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/island-antiguaELITE.jpg

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 09:50:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42