What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs heater bypass  (Read 4677 times)

Dougstermd

Hot Springs heater bypass
« on: May 28, 2018, 02:26:17 pm »
Resurrecting this 2000 model G. Heater was shot and in pieces. I disconnected the heater and put a bypass hose on the circulation pump. Filled with water and hooked up power. Circulation pump is operating I’m sure it’s looking for a temperature signal. Power light is flashing indicating over temperature sensed.  How can I start the jet pumps with a fault code? I would like to see both pumps operating before ordering a heater.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs heater bypass
« on: May 28, 2018, 02:26:17 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Hot Springs heater bypass
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 03:02:30 pm »
Actually, if the power light flashes, yes it's showing overheat, OR the sensors may not be plugged in. If BOTH power and ready lights flash, its the pressure switch.

You need to take the two temp sensors off the heater and plug them in to the control box.

Assuming they are both good, red light should stop flashing and jet pumps can be turned on.

If your heater has the pressure switch (two sensors and a third small grey wire coming out of the end of the heater) you will need to shunt the wires from the pressure switch. There is an actual part number for a pressure switch bypass, but I usually just cut the wire, strip the red and black and crimp them together.

Failing that - simply hot wire the pumps over to incoming 220 - one at a time, power off, of course.

HTH

8)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:22:34 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dougstermd

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:43:57 pm »
Heck yeah that helps. That’s exactly the kind of advice I came to this forum for.
Thanks for the response

Dougstermd

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:06:29 pm »
Heck yeah that helps. That’s exactly the kind of advice I came to this forum for.
Thanks for the response

Ok plugged in sensors got a solid power light was able to get one pump to start couldn’t figure out how how to start the other pump. Back lighting on the led display seems to not work. I never got a ready light. Is there any overhaul kits for the external control panel

Dougstermd

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:27:04 pm »
Ok got both pumps to turn on.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:38:55 pm »
Ready light will only come on if the water is within three degrees of the set temperature. That temp setting will only go down as low as 80.

The control panel is pn 73225, no way to rebuild it that I know of.

HTH

8)

Dougstermd

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:26:41 pm »
Thanks so much for the information. Was going to buy a heater local but to guy said just reuse the sensors . All advice here says put in new sensors with a new heater

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 02:54:05 am »
The new heater usually comes with new o-rings, and I reuse the temp sensors unless they show signs of leaking, or I have other reasons to doubt them.

You can always replace them later if needed.

HTH

8)

Dougstermd

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 11:26:35 am »
I was worried that a bad high temp sensor would allow a runaway heater causing damage to the new heater. The local expert and my online expert suggest otherwise. I think I will take yalls advice. After all that’s what I came here for.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 11:26:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42