What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Purchasing Hot Springs Used from dealer or Sundance craigslist  (Read 3058 times)

janeymack

First timer, here. We live in Vermont, where hot tubs are scarce, so prices are probably on the higher side. Not many used tubs out there and prices seem steep. Here is a sample:

Dealer:
2004 sovereign $3,500 6’8x7’9. I offered them $2,500.
2009 Envoy $5,200 7’7x7’9. I offered them $3,800.
Price includes delivery (we live 1.5 hours from shop), electrical hookup, and 30-day warranty.
Dealer said "no wiggle room" and "they're going fast" and did not counter my offer.

Craigslist:
2001 Sundance Marin. Indoors all of its life. Asking $2,500. Have yet to negotiate, but owner has answered all questions and provided video of it in operation. We would have to pick up, transport, etc., of course no warranty. We're able, but too old and wise to be dealing with pickup, transporting, etc. We could always hire someone to move it.

Appreciate advice on the following:
Do the dealer prices seem high? Is the dealer delivery, warranty, etc. worth paying more than a private sale?
Are energy costs of running an older tub higher?
Are repair risks of running an older tub worth up-front savings?

Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

score1more

Re: Purchasing Hot Springs Used from dealer or Sundance craigslist
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 12:44:04 pm »
I'm sure the regulars will have input on what is a better tub and value and what the energy costs are.  Although I bet each of those models has an energy efficiency certificate (like what you'd see on the side of a hot water tank).  I'do a little searching on the web, I'm sure they're published.

Do you already have 220 plumbed to your location?  Do those prices include covers?

My worry on a used tub is that you have no idea how it's been cared for during its life.  So it's a bit of a gamble either direction you go.  And you could end up spending good money after bad if you have to have it repaired.  30 days isn't very long of a warranty.  If they won't budge on price, ask them to stand up a longer warranty.

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 01:08:55 pm »
For what it is worth, I charge far more on pre-owned tubs, but I always replace pretty much everything and put a 1 year warranty on it.

Maybe counter on the warranty?  6 month warranty? 

Energy costs should be pretty darn similar.  Especially if they have new covers.  I'm assuming the Sundance would need a new cover, which is an expense you'll need up front.

Moving an older hot tub (especially if you have someone who doesn't know how to move it) can certainly cause a lot of problems.

I had a customer purchase a used Sovereign (2014 model) off of Craigslist, and he didn't like my charge to move it, so he moved it himself with some friends.  Sounds like it fell when they were lowering it... the darn ended up cracking some of the base, but worse yet... he caused a leak... Wasn't leaking before.

The story ends nicely though... I gave him a trade in value and he got a new Envoy ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 05:28:51 pm »
First timer, here. We live in Vermont, where hot tubs are scarce, so prices are probably on the higher side. Not many used tubs out there and prices seem steep. Here is a sample:

Dealer:
2004 sovereign $3,500 6’8x7’9. I offered them $2,500.
2009 Envoy $5,200 7’7x7’9. I offered them $3,800.
Price includes delivery (we live 1.5 hours from shop), electrical hookup, and 30-day warranty.
Dealer said "no wiggle room" and "they're going fast" and did not counter my offer.

Craigslist:
2001 Sundance Marin. Indoors all of its life. Asking $2,500. Have yet to negotiate, but owner has answered all questions and provided video of it in operation. We would have to pick up, transport, etc., of course no warranty. We're able, but too old and wise to be dealing with pickup, transporting, etc. We could always hire someone to move it.

Appreciate advice on the following:
Do the dealer prices seem high? Is the dealer delivery, warranty, etc. worth paying more than a private sale?
Are energy costs of running an older tub higher?
Are repair risks of running an older tub worth up-front savings?

Thanks in advance!

Its not just the dealer warranty but the expectation that the spa was refurbished/fully tested though I'd ask for the particulars and what repairs they have to make.

Of those 3 options I'd go with the 2009 dealer option but a couple things I'd want. If I was to say to decide I was willing to meet the price I'd still negotiate further but instead of asking for a lower price that they won't budge on I'd be asking for 2 things to be added: $250 in store credit for supplies (this is far better for dealers than lowering the price that same amount) and an increase to a 6 month store warranty. All they can do is say "no" but if you said it as if that's all it takes to finalize the deal you'd stand a decent shot.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

janeymack

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 09:33:05 pm »
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. We wound up purchasing a different used tub from the dealer since the others were sold. It's a Hot Springs 2007 Sovereign, completely refurbished with new cover, safety rail, new steps, delivery, installation, new breaker box. The installers will perform the electric hook-up to the breaker box (we're having new service installed to the breaker box since a hot tub has never been installed), start-up chemicals, and 30-day warranty. We can purchase a 1 year warranty for $800, but that seems way too high...on the fence about that.

They asked $4,500, we offered $4,200 and asked for longer warranty and new steps. No on the warranty, but yes on the steps. I know it's a little high, but our market seems higher than other regions in the US. The shell, cabinet, and cover are in excellent condition. Salesman was no BS, no pressure, regular guy, and the entire experience was positive. Hoping we made a good choice. Thanks, again!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:36:37 pm by janeymack »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 01:09:25 am »
I would be sure there is a new circ pump and Heater Relay Board in your spa - those are common problems. Should I say, the HRB is a common problem, the circ pumps are very good, but have a finite life of around 5 to 7 years. Might as well start with a new one, or have them simply hand you one to keep on hand.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 01:09:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42