What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1st Time Buyer - Good Brands  (Read 3912 times)

Baleklocoon

1st Time Buyer - Good Brands
« on: May 29, 2018, 02:39:47 pm »
So I'm in the market for my first hot tub.  I visited a local dealer and really liked the smaller Nordic and Bullfrog models (my patio confines the width of the tub to 6ft, length is not a concern).

I mentioned to a coworker that I am looking and he gave me the contact information for a friend of his that sells Cal Spas, Coast Spas, and Dimension 1 Spas.  Are any of these brands worth looking into if I can get the friend of a friend discount?  I did some quick research and found that Cal Spas has a bad reputation.  I didn't find much information on Coast Spas, and didn't even look for Dimension 1 Spas, I just decided to ask on here.  Are any of those 3 brands decent?  Or should I stick with Nordic or Bullfrog?  I couldn't find anything negative about Nordic or Bullfrog.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Bale
Dallas, TX

Hot Tub Forum

1st Time Buyer - Good Brands
« on: May 29, 2018, 02:39:47 pm »

Marco P

Re: 1st Time Buyer - Good Brands
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 02:48:52 pm »
Bullfrog is good. Have you looked at others than the ones you listed?
dimension 1 is ok, and as for coast spas, I would avoid personally.

Baleklocoon

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 03:22:31 pm »
I also looked at Marquis at the dealer I visited but Marquis didn't really have anything that set itself apart in my opinion, at least in the size (6ft maximum width) I was looking at.  I like the indestructible shell that Nordic uses and the reduced plumbing/increased efficiency Bullfrog uses.  Don't really care about switching out jet packs but as an engineer I do like the larger pipes going to the jetpack before splitting to multiple jets (reduced pressure loss).

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm »
Avoid Cal Spas.  I might consider Coast if I had a really good dealer supporting the brand.  D1 makes a quality hot tub.  Marquis makes a good hot tub.  I sold them from 2014-2017.  Nordic makes a super basic, quality hot tub.  Nordic's shell may be almost indestructible, but it will not offer the same contours and comfort as the others you listed.  Generally speaking, I would not worry about the durability of a hot tub shell. 

Use dealer locators to see what is available to you locally and concentrate on those brands.  Research the credibility of the local dealers.  Of the brands you listed, D1, Bullfrog, and Marquis will all be considered premium brands.  Nordic will not due to them being such a basic brand.  Nobody here will recommend Cal Spas and not likely Coast either.  I would expand your search to include Hot Spring, Caldera, Artesian, Jacuzzi, and Sundance.

Marco P

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 04:07:46 pm »
really the one thing coast has going for them is their filtration. the infinity edge skimmer and pressure filter seems to work well. the one thing that doesnt make sense to me is how the water doesnt overflow out of the infinity edge when the power gets turned off. as for marquis, Personally i would go with either them or bullfrog.

Baleklocoon

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 06:06:51 pm »
I'm not necessarily against Nordic being basic if it is a quality hot tub built to last. I really care more about quality and built to last more than I care about fancy bells and whistles and extra jets.

Guy has offered to sell me the D1 Serenade with cover, cover lifter, chemicals, delivery, installation, and "spa school" for $6495 if I pay cash. Is that a reasonable deal?

dishdude

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:28:50 am »
Don't overlook Costco's offerings.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 06:12:10 am »
Don't overlook Costco's offerings.

If you want a cheap tub with no service.
Retired

Sam

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 06:20:47 pm »
I'm not necessarily against Nordic being basic if it is a quality hot tub built to last. I really care more about quality and built to last more than I care about fancy bells and whistles and extra jets.

Guy has offered to sell me the D1 Serenade with cover, cover lifter, chemicals, delivery, installation, and "spa school" for $6495 if I pay cash. Is that a reasonable deal?

That's a pretty good deal for what D1's sell for if I recall.  It's D1's entry level though and you should be able to get a Bullfrog R5L for that same price.    That's my big complaint on D1.  They're overpriced.  Good product, but just too expensive.  The R5L is Bullfrog's mid tier and would be my personal choice of the 2.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 07:02:39 pm »
So I'm in the market for my first hot tub.  I visited a local dealer and really liked the smaller Nordic and Bullfrog models (my patio confines the width of the tub to 6ft, length is not a concern).

I mentioned to a coworker that I am looking and he gave me the contact information for a friend of his that sells Cal Spas, Coast Spas, and Dimension 1 Spas.  Are any of these brands worth looking into if I can get the friend of a friend discount?  I did some quick research and found that Cal Spas has a bad reputation.  I didn't find much information on Coast Spas, and didn't even look for Dimension 1 Spas, I just decided to ask on here.  Are any of those 3 brands decent?  Or should I stick with Nordic or Bullfrog?  I couldn't find anything negative about Nordic or Bullfrog.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Bale
Dallas, TX

Cal wouldn't make the top 10 of most any spa pro. I wonder if the new D1 is equally viable as they used to be now that they may be more like the red headed step child of a Jacuzzi brand that doesn't get nearly the good press here that it used to. I just don't hear much about them anymore.

If you are in Dallas area you should have access to almost every major spa manufacturer (Arctic, Artesian, Bullfrog, Caldera, Hot Spring, Marquis...) so you have many options but if you've narrowed it down to Nordic (fine for an entry level) and Bullfrog (solid choice certainly) then either should do fine for what you are looking for but skip Cal.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 07:02:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42