What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Septic system and spa chemicals  (Read 11353 times)

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
Septic system and spa chemicals
« on: August 26, 2004, 09:15:33 am »
I was just wondering. I wash out the filters in my huge slop sink in my laudry room every weekend with just plain water. Plus I use this sink to soak my filters in with the filter cleaning solution. Or sometimes I just put them in the dishwasher with out anything but plain water.

Obviously all of these chemicals are going down the drain.  Are these chemicals having a negative effect on my septic system or are the volumes so small that it has no effect what so ever.

Just curious.

Hot Tub Forum

Septic system and spa chemicals
« on: August 26, 2004, 09:15:33 am »

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
Re: Septic system and spa chemicals
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 12:24:59 pm »
The short answer is no.

Im not speaking as an expert on septic systems, but you have to keep in mind we put shampoos, soaps, shaving cream/gels, toothpaste, bleach from toilet bowl cleansers/santizers, dish washing detergent, laundry detergent, lime remover, grease cutting agents, drain clog remover, et al;

Your filter cleaning isnt going to contribute significantly to this...

But I would recommend not using your dishwasher to clean your filters though...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 12:45:27 pm »
I would like to politely dissagree with those who have said not to run the filters through the dishwasher. Not all filters are built for this treatment, though some are.

I can't imagine that a machine which can wash/rinse away heavy grease and spoiled food which is stuck onto pots, pans and dishes would have any trouble taking care of a set of spa filters.

The machine washes with hot water, and then runs a thorough rinse cycle. You could always run it empty after the filters if you are really concerned. I guess that I'm saying: I just don't see a lot of grease or old food staying on my dishes, so I can't imagine hair or other things doing the same.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 01:21:19 pm »
Particulate matter should be pumped out of the dishwasher along with the dirty water.
If it's not, you have a defective dishwasher.
Brewman
Brewman

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 08:54:01 pm »
The point I was tryng to make is do the spa chemicals kill the live bacteria that makes my septic system work properly?

Are the chemicals strong enough when I rinse out the filter's or the filter cleaning solution strong enough to kill the septic system.

When you have a septic system even those little clorox toilet tables that are placed in the toilet tank. Will kill all of the bacteria in the septic tank.

But thanks for your reply's

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 05:53:19 am »
There were several other responses which have been 'moderated' out, so this thread seems a bit disjointed now.

I don't know the answer to the original question, but I would assume that chlorine going into a septic system is going to kill things: good and bad. At the very least, it will change the balance a bit. The chlorine will not stick around long, so I wonder if the normal balance would return soon?

I would check with a septic operator or two  -  I live on a city sewer system, and they have a fit when a pool owner or service guy pumps chlorinated water into the sanitary drains around here.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 12:12:07 pm »
The chemicals can't be good for the septic "good bugs". Since chlorine kills in the tub it will kill in the septic and will most likely linger around longer in a cool, dark enclosed environment.
e

Oskar

• 2003 Marquis Reward
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 01:13:42 pm »
 ;DIf you wash your filters in the wash tub and send the water to the septic tank it may be a good idea to put a box of RidX or other bacteria growing product made for septic tanks down your toilet after you have finished cleaning them.    8)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 01:44:27 pm »
Is there such a thing as a 'septic system forum' anywhere? I'm very intersetd in this question since we are building a home on a septic tank and you can be sure we plan to put a spa in it! ( Uh, in the HOUSE, not in the septic tank...)

I have no experience with life on a septic system...other than holding tanks which just get pumped out when full.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 01:47:46 pm by Chas »

empolgation

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 02:02:59 pm »
don't know about a septic forum - but my home is on a septic (uh the home uses a septic it's not really on it) and am very careful about what goes down the drain. You basically have 2 choices in managing your system - keep it as free from chemicals and non-organic particulars as possible to keep it a living "healthy" system OR have it pumped out frequently.
e

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 02:26:08 pm »
don't know about a septic forum - but my home is on a septic (uh the home uses a septic it's not really on it) and am very careful about what goes down the drain. You basically have 2 choices in managing your system - keep it as free from chemicals and non-organic particulars as possible to keep it a living "healthy" system OR have it pumped out frequently.

Thanks for the tip!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 04:54:33 pm »
My home is also on septic.  My system is also a pump system to a common field about 2000 ft up the street.  I get the tank cleaned annually.  The $200 cost is cheap insurance, IMO.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 09:11:46 pm »
Gotta agree w/Oskar on putting the bacteria stuff down the commode.  It's been years but we lived in a house w/septic.  I talked to a septic guy when we moved in & he told be to flush a packet down every couple months.  He told me that just soap/shampoo/etc. from everyday living would kill the bacteria.  Don't know if that's true but we did that every 3 months - lived there 5 years without issue and never had to pump out.  

It might have been rid-x. . .been too long to remember.  came in paper packets about the size of instant oatmeal - 20 or so packets in "a case."

empolgation

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 10:16:48 pm »
Beware of septic additives - most are scam that can do anything from nothing to serious damage to your system.

Kind of like the ozone of the septic industy... there is no proof that any additive is beneficial to your septic.  A "clean" well managed system doesn't need any additives as we people give it all the goodies it needs to stay healthy with each flush.

Also, like a spa you need to "drain" it periodically - how frequently will be determined by how well you manage it.
e

Shut_Down_Stranger

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 11:33:18 pm »
Is there such a thing as a 'septic system forum' anywhere? I'm very intersetd in this question since we are building a home on a septic tank and you can be sure we plan to put a spa in it! ( Uh, in the HOUSE, not in the septic tank...)

I have no experience with life on a septic system...other than holding tanks which just get pumped out when full.

I can answer this one, the bioligical activity and volume of water in the septic system should be able to handle the occasional cleaning of the filter.

draining the spa into the septic would not be a good idea, too much volume at one time. Sending massive amounts of bleach into the septic system would not be a good idea either.  Oxidizing chemicals (chlorine bromine and shock) are not desirable, as they will kill the bugs.

The microorganisms that reside in the tank are a pretty tough lot, and they will consume most of the organic matter (tp, detergent and soaps) that comes their way.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 11:33:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42