What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Septic system and spa chemicals  (Read 11357 times)

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Re: Septic system and spa chemicals
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 09:25:26 am »
Is there such a thing as a 'septic system forum' anywhere? I'm very intersetd in this question since we are building a home on a septic tank and you can be sure we plan to put a spa in it! ( Uh, in the HOUSE, not in the septic tank...)

I have no experience with life on a septic system...other than holding tanks which just get pumped out when full.

Chas. You can obtain a lot of information on the building and management of a septic system from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. There is also a lot of information from the Canada Research Council in residential.  Here are a couple of links.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/index.cfm

http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/irccontents.html

If you search septic systems in both you will get a ton of information.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 09:25:26 am »

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 09:48:38 am »
Thank you for the information. I use soft soak with Peroxide. I know the Peroxide is also a grem killer. But does it break down faster than clorine. I use Ridex every month or two. Our county demands we pump every 3 years need it or not. Our system is 10 years old and never once had a problem. I want to keep it that way.

The only chemicals that make it down the drain are only from the filters. As when I just rinse them off with high pressure or let them soak in  the sink with filter cleaner. Then again rinse them with clean high pressure water.

Thank you all.

aaahhh

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 11:25:40 am »
Thanks also!

I have decided that I will bring the filters home to soak, so I won't have to put the used cleaning solution into the septic tank system. I'll just grab an extra set of filters when we are ready. That seems to be the highest dose of 'stuff' that would come from the tub.

I'll also be sure to drain out onto the gound, not into the system when changing the water. In fact I'm thinking of putting in a sort of drip irrigation system that would distribute the water to the base of the many pine trees on the property. I may have to put in a holding tank so I can dump the spa into the tank and get it filled up quickly while the water slowly trickles out to the trees: I don't want to spend the whole weekend without hot water, and once our friends find out we have this place, I'm suspecting it may get a lot of use...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 11:32:44 am »
Is there such a thing as a 'septic system forum' anywhere? I'm very intersetd in this question since we are building a home on a septic tank and you can be sure we plan to put a spa in it! ( Uh, in the HOUSE, not in the septic tank...)

I have no experience with life on a septic system...other than holding tanks which just get pumped out when full.

Interestingly enough, there are a couple septic system message forums. I recommend:

Dr. Leachfield's forum

Stoolandblah.com

Whatsthebest-wastetreatment.com

Avoid the forum run by that kook in Colorado who buys generic thermopane septic tanks and rebrands them as high end units.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 11:49:34 am »
That post makes my morning!  Closest I've been to having coffee shoot thru my nose in a long time.

One thing I have to disagree on, though.  I think that I'd probably buy a septic tank from our Colorado friend.
Think about it- he slings more crap than anyone I can think of, so he would probably be well suited to build a suitable containment system for it.  Probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him..............

Brewman
Brewman

Maverick

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 06:44:37 pm »
I would never clean my filters in the dishwasher. I believe the water is too hot and could break down the fibers in the filters. I use Eco One and merely have to cold rinse my filters every 6 weeks with the garden hose. Every 6 months I soak them for a coupla hours in a mild bleach solution to make them totally white again.

I am now going on 3 years with the original filters. Could it be the Eco One?

P.S. I also do a drain/water change only every 6 months, and a 2 pound container of dichlor lasts a year.

TCMarvin

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2004, 03:12:07 pm »
Maverick

I switched from Baqua Spa to the Eco One system and i've noticed  how easy it is to clean my filters now. With Baqua i had to use the special filter cleaner they sell just to get all the gunk off. With Eco One i just rinse them with the hose and they spray clean.

I did a lot of reading on the Eco One system from online sources and the message boards and i have seen posts where users have mentioned that their filters last much longer and it makes sense.  The Eco One "coats" your filter with a coconut solution, which might actually protect the filters from normal wear and tear. It's obvious that the coating works because of the way they spray clean.

I have also read that Eco One prolongs the life of the bonding agents used on the hand rails and jets, although i have never had any problems in this area.

Another note on Eco One is that my twirly jets dont stick anymore. I had a lot of problems with this while on the Baqua system.

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2004, 04:01:52 pm »
Interestingly enough, there are a couple septic system message forums. I recommend:

Dr. Leachfield's forum

Stoolandblah.com

Avoid the forum run by that kook in Colorado who buys generic thermopane septic tanks and rebrands them as high end units.

you forgot   poosearch.com
¿

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2004, 05:58:04 pm »

Dr. Leachfield's forum

Stoolandblah.com

you forgot   poosearch.com

Funny! Very Funny!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2004, 06:55:13 pm »

Funny! Very Funny!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D

I found my septic info at www.fecalfacts.com......
but seriously, the amount of other stuff that gets in the septic tank from dishwashing soap to washmachine ( front loader, the only way to go with septic..) would be more than what rinses off your filters.
With everything else to worry about with a hot tub, put this one at the "bottom of the pile".
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2004, 07:53:49 pm »
Thanks one and all.

I guess I can wash my hands of this now.

(Job's not finished till the paperwork is done?)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2004, 07:53:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42