What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help  (Read 3933 times)

rob

help
« on: September 02, 2004, 06:03:52 pm »
I has ozone and nature 2.  how much chlorine should I use after we get out?  Also, since the amount of chlorine is reduced because of the nature 2 and ozone, can I use less schock on a weekly basis?  Still new to this, only had it two weeks.  

Hot Tub Forum

help
« on: September 02, 2004, 06:03:52 pm »

rocket

• Life is good!
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 06:08:16 pm »
With the nature II system, you should use a couple of tablespoons of shock per person as you enter the spa.  You'll use chlorine when needed.  

I would recommend that you use an ounce of chlorine once per week or with heavy batherload.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 07:53:01 pm »
I use a tsp per person of dichlor when I exit and shock when I need to with ozone and N2.  I would do a full shock to be sure to rid the water of chloromines.

rob

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 07:58:22 pm »
What is dichlor?  How is it different from shock or chlorine?  If you use it, do you not use shock and chlorine?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 08:10:30 pm »
Dichlor is granulated chlorine that is quick dissolving and pH neutral which makes it ideal for spas.  The proper name is long but it has "dichlor" somewhere in it.  It is most likely the "chlorine" you have.  You can use dichlor to shock or non chlorine shock (MPS-blah blah monopersufate).

Shock with enough dichlor to get to 10 plus ppm free chlorine or with non chlorine shock.

rob

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 08:15:36 pm »
OK, I have been using a tbl spoon of dichlor after use and using RENEW non chloring shock once a week - 8 tblspns.  Does that sound right with using ozone and nature 2?

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 11:19:44 pm »
OK, I have been using a tbl spoon of dichlor after use and using RENEW non chloring shock once a week - 8 tblspns.  Does that sound right with using ozone and nature 2?

I think 1 TEASP00N of Dichlor on exiting is the norm. HS says to shock with 1 TABLESP00N of MPS per 250 gallons before use, and 3 TABLESP00NS per 250 gallons once a week.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 11:20:46 pm by Warkovision »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 12:37:25 pm »
Rob;

With the ozone and Nature 2; 1PPM of Chlorine should be fine. What no one can tell you is how much chlorine is needed to maintain that level. At the risk of souding like a smart ass, how many litres/gallons of gas should I use in a week? Need more info do you?

"What is my mileage?" you ask:

I ask how many hours a day does your ozone and circulation system operate for?

"How many miles do I drive in a week?" you ask:

I ask how many times a week do you use your tub? How many people? How big are the people?

Get the point? I am 220lbs and hairy, I use  alot more bromine when I get in my tub than my wife who is 115 lbs. Now if she used a lot of moisterizers or makeup she might use as much bromine as I do.

Maintain 1 PPM of chlorine, test measure and adjust to do it. Its all about trial and error my friend. Happy tubbin'

HotTubMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 01:01:18 pm »
Rob

As a general statement, 1 teaspn of dichlor sounds more correct than 1 tablespn.  Actually, you need to find your spas chlorine demand.  What you want to do is to get enough dichlor after use to get the free chlorine level to 2+ ppm.  The chlorine level will drop from there but you will get an effective sanitization from that.  Your N2 cartridge will pick up the slack till the next use.

The 8 tbls of Renew sounds correct as a shock.  Renew is buffered MPS which means it has pH up in it to make it pH neutral.

rob

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 01:27:28 pm »
OK Tony, So 1 teaspn of dichlor after use (usualy 2 people - 180 lbs and 114 lbs) and shock one a week?  Why do some say to shock a little prior to getting in?  I don't realy like that idea.  Would this regimine be OK?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 04:38:18 pm »
Some folks use Nature2 with just non chlorine shock and only use dichlor when the water gets cloudy.  When it is done this way, you add the non chlorine shock before you use the spa.

I personally do not recommend sanitizing your spa this way.  MPS is not a sanitizer and even if you add chlorine once per week, it is difficult to keep the spa bug free.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 09:37:52 pm »
O.K. Everyone else has posted their way of doing it so I might as well chime in.

There is a product called "enhanced shock" that has a bit of chlorine in it. I like this because I just throw in a bit (1-2 oz) AFTER I get out (because of the chlorine). This way I have a more constant supply of sanitizer and oxidizer in the spa and it seems to be easier to remember. Try it for a month and see if you like it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 09:37:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42