What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Start up  (Read 2664 times)

rocket

• Life is good!
Spa Start up
« on: September 01, 2004, 09:29:37 pm »
I'm reading several notes about starting up a new spa and the customer has questions upon this initial step.

Before you purchase a spa, ask the dealer if they will return after delivery and help you to understand operation of the spa and water chemistry.

This should be part of the sale and a dealer shouldn't skip this for the sake of saving a few dollars.  It protects you and your investment.

If a dealer isn't willing to go to this step, seek out one that will.  This is the beginning of a relationship and you will have future service needs.  If they aren't willing to start with helpful service upfront then what when you have an emergency.  

Rocket

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Start up
« on: September 01, 2004, 09:29:37 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Spa Start up
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 10:43:45 pm »
Some dealers offer to do this in their store, in a class format.  I opted to do it myself, it really wasn't that hard.
I put in my own wiring, and hooked it up myself- the startup instructions in the manual and with the chemistry were more than adequate for me.  
To each their own, I guess.  I sure wouldn't consider this a deal breaker.
Brewman
Brewman

zacman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 11:25:02 am »
Seems like this is something that should be discussed at the negotiation stage.  The distance from the dealer would also  be a factor.  If I was very close to the dealer, the dealer might not mind dropping by to help out this way. But in my circumstances, to come out after the delivery would mean a two hour round trip plus the time on site as I live about 50 miles away from the dealer.  It would not be fair for me to demand this additional service unless it was part of the original deal.  Perhaps this should be added to the topic re How to Buy / Negotiate for a Hot Tub. . .

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 11:46:20 am »
But in my circumstances, to come out after the delivery would mean a two hour round trip plus the time on site as I live about 50 miles away from the dealer.  It would not be fair for me to demand this additional service unless it was part of the original deal.

There's no reason why a dealer couldnt do an orientation at the time of delivery-- I mean he has to be out there to deliver the product anyway, right? Even if the electrical wasnt ready, a 'dry' orientation is certainly better than none.

The only reason I can figure a dealer wouldnt conduct an orientation is that they simply dont give a damn. In which case, your just as bad off as anyone who buys a cash and carry big-box spa.

Just something to think about when youre shopping for dealers...

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
Re: Spa Start
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 12:07:26 pm »
The foreman of the three man crew that delivered our tub (HS Vista) gave a very quick and cursory description/directions of the chem kit, some of which were inappropriate given the fact that I had the HS Everfresh system installed. I put 4 ounces of this stuff called Protect Plus. Later found out from the dealer that this inhibits the function of the silver ionizer. Anyway, I'm getting the impression so far that it is as much an art as a science. Gather as much info as you can from the forums here combined with what your dealer says and your own experience and arrive at a system. I've had my tub going for 3 days and water is still good except for a tad high TA and pH. Working slowly on those. No green or cloudy water yet (Fingers crossed!) I would agree that the dealer has a responsibility to you to make sure that you get your water issues staightened out should you have any.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 12:38:11 pm by Warkovision »

PPOL

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 12:44:13 pm »
I am personally shocked that a dealer would not come out and do a Spa start up!  They have went through a lot to come to the decision to make an investment in your product.

I tell each of my customers that after delivery and the spa is filled and wired up and running to call me and I will come out that evening and start the spa up.

I show them every function of the control panel, the jets, the diverters, the air injectors, spa lock, temp lock, summer lock.  Answer any questions they may have.

Then I chemically treat their water and go over how to maintain the spa, weekly, monthly, and every 4-6 months.  I give them a chemical "cheat sheet" that gives them those instructions, because I know they aren't listening, they want me outta there and get in their hot tub!

I also take a water sample and bring it back to the store to do a water test to help them balance the water.

Maybe its just me, but I think its why some dealers have references and some don't.

Thanks,

Neil O'Donovan
Phoenix Park Outdoor Living
Wilmington, NC

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 03:02:06 pm »
I am personally shocked that a dealer would not come out and do a Spa start up!

Neil, it doesnt surprise me in the least- Some of my customers are owners of spas that were literally dropped off by dealers, distributors, or liquidators. Few if any of them had a clue on how to manage and maintenance, because they'd never been shown.

In one instance, the spa owner had just popped a floating chemical dispenser into the spa and called it good- Until seven months later,  they called the manufacturer for a warranty service call, and the service center called me.... And as it turned out the request was a NON warranty service call- The chemical damage was such that the manufacturer would not honor repair costs.

Yes, taking care of spas is easy- but to get off on the right foot, its best to be shown...Our retention level is much higher when we see something being demonstrated rather than just reading about it in an owners manual. (Plus, reading about it doesnt take into account various levels of comprehension.)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 03:02:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42