What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: no space for displacement of hot tub cover  (Read 5370 times)

hank541

no space for displacement of hot tub cover
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:07:33 pm »
My wife and I just bought a hit tub in our courtyard.  It is 84" sqaure fit into a space less than 90".  It have walls on 2 sides.  Back wall is unusable, right wall is window on the side of our house, left side is our garage with plenty of wall space.

All of the commercial lifters we have seen require about 5" side and 6 inches behind for clearance.  We do not have the space and are not big fans of folding it halfway to use.

I am thinking we may have to juryrig something to help remove the cover.  I am thinking we could possibly mount hydraulic arms on the side of the garage to vertically lift the cover without folding it in half and when fully removed, it would sort of hang on the side of the garage until we are done and then we would lower back into the covered position.  I am just not sure where I would begin to construct or even hire someone to manufacture.

Any ideas or suggestions?  I can load pictures tomorrow or the next day if necessary.

Hot Tub Forum

no space for displacement of hot tub cover
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:07:33 pm »

castletonia

Re: no space for displacement of hot tub cover
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:58:17 am »
Leisure Concepts Covermate 3.  Should only require a couple inches on each side and less than 6" off the back.  If this cannot work, then I think you are into DIY territory.

hank541

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 10:47:19 am »
If I had to move into DIY territory, what type of trade person would be the best to rig something that would be safe and effective?  Machinist?  I wouldn't have a clue on who could design a custom solution and install.  Thanks for the tip on Covermate III - that is the only product I have seen so far that could possibly be an option for us, but that may not work.

fboyles

bud16415

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 01:10:18 pm »
I worked as a machine designer for 42 years and when we got our tub I studied the cover lifters and location of the tub pretty good before we bought it. Along with the cover I was concerned with what if we needed to get one of the side covers off to service something how much work would that require. I didn’t want to have to drain the tub, disconnect the power and get a crew of guys in to move the tub only to find a loose hose clamp. This actually happened last year to us year.

But back to your problem. I have seen DIY lifters that work very much like the one posted. Where the cover folds over a pipe and then there are two down legs to the deck where they hinge that swing the cover up and back.

With your tub where it is any lifter attached to the tub on the sides where the walls are will be hard to attach to the tub or deck on those sides.

I like your idea of fusing the lid so it wont fold and then winching it up like a big door to the wall. I could see that working. Hydraulics might not be the way to go I would look at a small powered winch that could be installed inside the garage and the cable brought out thru a hole covered with a rubber flap and over a roller. The cable could attach to the far side of the cover and just tilt it up to the garage with a pendant controlling up and down.

Would be fairly simple to build and not cost a fortune.

Seeing as how your tub is square turning the cover 90 degrees to the winch it could be raised without it wanting to fold if that worked better. Hard to say I can see it working both ways.

Covers are foam and you cant just screw a eyelet into them and expect it to hold. They do have wood built into them at points where the lifter is to attach.

Just a few off the cuff ideas hope they help.   

hank541

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 04:25:19 pm »
Thanks Bud.  I had not thought of a winch system before...gives me some food for thought.  Don't know why I have a hydraulic lift stuck in my head.  I have seen rudimentary string and pulley systems, but I suspect my wife would protest our new purchase is rigged up with nylon cord, pulleys, and knots :)

I have to mull things over some more, but I appreciate the ideas!

bud16415

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 04:39:01 pm »
Mine has a cover lifter and counterbalance and room for it to go between the house and the tub. I’m still thinking about something to help open and close it. As time goes on the cover gets heavier, or I’m getting weaker. In the winter there is ice and snow and walking that cover over isn’t easy. I can see lots of older people myself included getting to the point opening a 8’ tub is a chore. Have seen people on here say they open it half way and then get in the tub to open it the rest.

My friend has the system where the lid goes straight up and becomes the roof and walls roll down. I like the open air a little more than that but he loves it. we do have a roof over ours. Where we live it would be imposable in the winter without one.   

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 05:23:35 pm »
Garage door opener rigged above the tub to wind a cord that pulls straight up. Can you say remote control.
Retired

hank541

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 07:11:53 pm »
Good ideas.  One last question:

Are there any covers that require less than 3” on each side.  We have exactly 6” of total clearance on the side (3” left, 3” right) and about 12” behind.

fboyles

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 11:52:48 am »
This cover/lid system probably wouldn't work but thought it was a great idea! Maybe you have a rotting pop-up camper? Take the lift mech. and retrofit them to your tub and cover. Now you have a cover and a gazebo!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_6l_vzqQg

bud16415

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 03:30:17 pm »
3” on a side is really tight. Most I would say stick out 3-4” on a side. You might be able to find one that will sneak in there and the cover would have to open to the 12” side.

Is the tub in place now and filled? Trouble will be with just 3” getting in there and drilling holes and putting in screws to attach it.

Can you post a photo or two of the area?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 03:30:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42