What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coast Spas  (Read 5512 times)

corys510

Coast Spas
« on: August 23, 2004, 01:58:01 pm »
Hey has anyone had any experience with Coast Spas.  I thought I was going to buy a Hot Springs then I ran into the coast dealer and liked what I saw with them .  Any help would be greatly appreciated   Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Coast Spas
« on: August 23, 2004, 01:58:01 pm »

rocket

• Life is good!
Re: Coast Spas
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:50:36 pm »
Please read the fine print on the warranties.

This will help you see how the spa manufacturer feels about the reliability of the product.

Go with the HS.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 05:34:16 pm »
I've often seen them compared to Cal Spas and that's not exactly a compliment.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jordy

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 01:04:26 am »
I have sold Beachcomber, HotSpring, Tiger River and Pacific Hot tubs. I recently opened a Jacuzzi Premium Dealership in Calgary, Alberta. From what I have gathered, the Coast Spa Company was created by a fellow who used to have a high position in the Cal Spa organization (somebody please correct me if I am wrong). This is why the Cal Spa and the Coast Spa are so similar in many respects. Overall, I think that Coast makes a reasonably good spa but it seems to be overpriced compared to other manufacturers. Coast tends to rely on sizzle vs. steak. What I mean is that they tend to focus on fibre optic lighting, big pumps, sound systems and T.V.s instead of construction and filtration features. I think you will find that when you strip away these aspects, you are left with a fairly basic tub that is overpriced. On the other hand, if you can get it for the price you want, go for it. I would also recommend that you check out Jacuzzi, Beachcomber and perhaps even Pacific Spa and compare features to determine the best value for your circumstances. Remember, wet test is King! Good Luck and Good Tubbin'.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 01:29:11 pm »
Another thing to keep in mind, there is no such thing (please correct me if I am wrong) as a 7 horse power pump. HP does not always mean Horse Power. Ask the question, when you get the answer ask yourself "Why would they do that? Why not just list the horsepwer?" It is bad enough consumers have to distinguish betweeen "brake" and "continuous" let alone having "HP" stand for something other than Horse Power and BBQ sauce. ;)

Jordy, just curious why didn't you recommend Watkins products? Is it product related or did you have a falling out of some sort?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 09:59:19 am by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

Jordy

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 04:22:10 am »
Hi Hot Tub Man,
I agree, it can be difficult, confusing and frustrating for consumers to know what is important to take into consideration when shopping for a hot tub. The hot tub industry needs to move towards presenting the positive aspects of hot tub ownership to the general public, and the industry needs to make it easlier for consumers to feel comfortable, secure and confident that they have purchased the right hot tub for their family's needs. Unfortunately, there is no common standardization methods, construction criteria or rating method that consumers can faithfully rely on. The result of this shortcoming is that it allows certain manufacturers and dealers to make overstated claims about the performance of their products in order to take advantage of the lack of knowledge that consumers have about hot tubs. This is the single most important problem that is facing consumers and the hot tub industry alike. I hope that this fact gets straightened out in my lifetime so that as many people as possible can enjoy all the benefits and pleasures that a hot tub/spa can bring into their life. Hot tubs/spas can improve a persons' physical, social and mental well being. This has been proven time and time again throughout the course of history in various cultures located across the globe. And I say that in this day and age, these benefits are needed more than ever! I hope you agree and I hope that I can contribute towards that end in some small way. :)

And yes, I did have a bit of a falling out w/ the local HotSpring Dealer, but I don't have any problem w/the HotSpring product, I believe it's one of the best products available for consumers to consider. But I also believe that the Jacuzzi Premium Spa is a better product in many ways and that it offers consumers a much better alternative to purchase (if I didn't believe that wholeheartedly, I wouldn't have bet my life on it).
WET TEST IS KING!!!

Howard

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 12:16:34 pm »
Corys510:

Have you received and used your Coast Spa. If not too late you may want to reconsider after hearing of my experience.

I purchased the Wailea 50 in June (with a special order green cover that was not received until middle of August and was damaged; second cover received yeasterday 8/31/04!)

I have two main problems: the manual is wholly inadequate and the electric system of the spa keeps tripping the breaker switch.

First, the manual. It mentions numerous phrases that are not explained ("programmed number of hours," "O-ring," "fiber optic box," etc.) The diverter knobs are not illustrated to show which knob belongs to which jet, nor which pump. Some knobs work counter-clock-wise and others clock-wise - the manual is no help. It mentions a whirlpool, but provides no information on where it is within the tub, nor where the controls are located. There are two pumps that control different jets and actions, but the manual doesn't indicate which pump (actual trial & error is terrible).  

The electrical problem is a real nightmare. Dealer employee is working without a service manual, he says because the Coast Spa people haven't given him one. Something in the spa keeps tripping the breaker and no one can find the cause! Sometimes it works for a day and other times the breaker won't go on at all. Something (an element, lighting, etc.) within the tub is tripping the electric. Electrician has been to the house three times, one of which they met with the dealer. I still do not have a operating tub since purchased in June.

I think my tub is a "lemon" and due to the lack of manuals for the installers and the poor quality of consumer manuals, I think the Coast Spa Company to be highly suspect.

Joe Nichols
Selbyville, Delaware

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 12:16:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42