What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance or Caldera?  (Read 7922 times)

BigD13

Sundance or Caldera?
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:11:33 am »
My feeling is I can't go wrong with either one.  But we have it between the SD Optima or Caldera Niagara Utopia.  The cost difference is Caldera is $700 more, the only difference is Caldera is throwing in a GFCI panel.  I don't need it with the SD because I am replacing a older spa and it has a 50amp GFCI and Disconnect box (I know about the difference between running 60amp or 50amp).  We wet tested both and both were very nice, the caldera left me itchy, but I felt there was some poor chemical control at the dealer.

The Optima seemed more powerful.  Couldn't stay in the one seat with full power.  After playing with diverters and air a while got it dialed in just right.  As far as comfort, they were equal.  The atlas neck mmassage on the Caldera didn't really do anything.  The Foot massage jets were great on the Caldera but limited to one person at a time, buy great.  The Optima gave a decent foot massage and was open for 4 people.  There are more jets on the Caldera and they do have the Waterfall (not a big deal for us).  Other than that, the spas are configured the same as with options for the OTD pricing.

We were told that the SD filters more water in 24hrs than Caldera and that the filter system is a step up from Caldera.  Of course I was told that from the dealer.  Both dealers respect the others product and never bad mouthed the competition.

Any pros/cons which can be shed on our decision which we are missing?  Or are we down to a coin toss?

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance or Caldera?
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:11:33 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Sundance or Caldera?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 09:36:13 am »
We've owned our Optima for about 16 months, and are very happy with it.  It's been absolutely trouble free so far.  We like the power, and the ability to dial it down if we want.  We end up with guests in the spa a bit more than we anticipate, so I'm glad we went for the higher seating capacity.  

I'd say go with whatever one felt better to you in your test.  I wouldn't let the itchy skin thing sway you.  That's not the spa's fault.

Maybe the coin toss is in order!!
Brewman
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 11:03:14 am »
It seems like you are leaning towards the Optima.  I've had mine for over two years and am very satisfied.  The stepped up filtering is most likely the microclean filter.  Sundance also has some very nice proprietary jets.  BTW, I run mine at 50 amps in the northeast without any issues.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 02:24:14 pm by tony »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 12:02:50 pm »
Each dealer will tell you theirs is a step up from the other. Sundance owners will tell you how much they love their spas and Caldera owners will do the same. What this means is they are both very good tubs and no one will be able to give you a compelling reason to choose one over the other. I think the choice needs to come down to which really seemed better in the wet test and which dealer do you seem more comfort with relative to after sale service.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bethshar

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 01:19:33 pm »
We've had our Optima for two weeks - and yes - we love it.  I don't know anything about Caldera.  I can tell you that we LOVE the foot jet dome.  I wouldn't want to be fighting over foot jets.  It also gives you a nice foot rest that helps you hold yourself in the chair when you are going for that super strong massage.(you can also turn the power lower).  I also love the blower pump that just pumps air through 14 small jets around the bottom  It's nice after an intense message to fell the cool air bubbles and water being lightly agitated around you.  The four corner therapy seats are great - each a little different - and fits my family of four perfectly.   The aromatherapy was a disappointment - I just could barely smell it at all.  The spa has enough power that everywone can get a great message at the same time.

Good luck on your decision.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 01:31:51 pm »
Well here the choice seems clear enough.  $700.00 is a big difference for two spas that otherwise seem to get the job done equally well for you.  They are both good products from good companies and it sounds like both dealers are good.  Even though I love my Caldera, in your position I would opt for the Sundance.

Regards,

Bill

zacman

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 10:18:23 pm »
I know little about the Caldera - but after looking at a number of other spas am getting the optima.  By the way, one criticism I had of the optima was the noise of the diverter valve when it was about half way. Don't know if this is a concern you have.  Anyay, I pointed this out the dealer.  He demonstrated that the noise was in the knob itself - and when he turned it on half way and then took the knob off all together and the noise stopped completely.  He also said SD was making a retro fit knob which would eliminate that all together.  Finally, he said that those who already had the older knob, could just put silicon caulk in the bottom of the knob and the noise would be substantially reduced.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 11:07:06 pm »
I was almost a Caldera owner of the spa you are looking at...but after wet testing I was also itchy and felt it was the chemicals....I later learned it was more likely the jets that Caldera uses..they may work great for some....but I have read where several othersalso felt itchy.....I think they are a nice spa with great lights....the jets just did not work for me....

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 07:38:28 am »
I did caulk the underside of my diverter knobs, and the noise was reduced quite a bit.  
Brewman
Brewman

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 09:31:40 am »
I did caulk the underside of my diverter knobs, and the noise was reduced quite a bit.  
Brewman

Hey Brewman,

Any chance you could post a pic or give some more detail on where exactly you put the caulk under the diverter knobs?  I'd be interested in doing the same but am not sure exactly where to put it.

Thx.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 11:51:08 am »
I have also caulked the underside of my diverter handles.  It is very simple.  Just use clear silicone and fill enough so it does not rub when the handles are on.  The underside is split into four little sections (I think).  Use the little dividers as your fill point.

Hope this makes sense.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 11:52:18 am »
I'll see if I can do that.  I can get pics, not a problem.

Here's what I did:
Remove the knobs by lifting them straight up and wiggling them a bit if necessary.  
Underneath the knob, there are these ribs that project from the center to the outer edge.  I filled in that area with caulk, being careful not to raise the level of caulk above the level of these ribs, for fear that the knob wouldn't go back on.  These knobs cover a raised disk shaped "nut" that retains the diverter valve.

Start by pulling off a knob and just giving it a look.  If after doing that, you still want pics, post back, and I'll see what I can do.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 11:52:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42