What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: URGENT, down to two????  (Read 5080 times)

kztahoe

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
URGENT, down to two????
« on: August 21, 2004, 11:57:10 am »
Anyone who could help please do!!! We are deciding between HS vanguard and Marquis SA Euphoria. I especially would like some input on the customer service from Marquis. I have heard lots about HS. Also anyone with either of these spas and all their pros & cons to them. The prices are within our budget the Hs will be about 7k without ozonator and the Marquis is about 8k with it. All the rest of the options are about the same, no stero or anything like that. No taxes to add either. Also am looking at the pearl finish on both and have concerns about that but it is the one we like the bestest!!! I am so.................tired of this ordeal I just want to be DONE and make a decsion or I think I may just bag it!!!!HELP...............any and all info to aid in my quest for spatopia!!!!!!thanks a bunch

kay ???

Hot Tub Forum

URGENT, down to two????
« on: August 21, 2004, 11:57:10 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: URGENT, down to two????
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 01:26:54 pm »
You're down to 2 quality choices and either will make you happy. Some will post that they own spa A and its great and others will say they own spa B and its awesome so I'm not sure how much help you can get on this. I think you need to think about how each felt, think about whether you're equally comfortable with each dealer, etc. In the end if you're really, really at your wits end maybe the cost difference should be considered though normally I think $1k isn't a huge deal for an item thats meant to last 12+ years.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 01:36:25 pm »
Hot Springs is outstanding with providing quailty service after the sale...Marquis is right there with them....both are great choices....it is the dealer who will make the difference for you......as comapnys both are very very good....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 02:56:07 pm »
Also am looking at the pearl finish on both and have concerns about that but it is the one we like the bestest!!!
kay ???

Just a thought, seeing how good those finishes look it might be worth the extra effort to keep it looking nice if you like it that much.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 08:55:29 am »
kztahoe,
Check out these pics of our pearl tub:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brdhd/album?.dir=/e8c7

We love it and have not had maintenance issues in the 1.5 months it has been in service...obviously, time will reveal more details.  The LED light against it at night is awesome.  Good luck...I'm sure you would be happy with either the HS or Marquis...two great manufacturers.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 11:03:15 am »
Both great tubs (and I am prejudiced)!!!

I own the pearl and would get it again!  I have had no problems keeping it looking great, even after a year!!!

Did you make notes during your wet tests?  Maybe you could wet test both models again, back to back?  That sure helped me make my final decision when I was down to two!!

Good luck.  You can't go wrong with either!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 07:34:29 pm »
 :)I have had both spas and found that both were great.  Reliable, energy eff., easy to own.  I prefer the Marquis.
Better warranty, more for your money, very spacious interior.  Both companies will care for you. They look for the best dealers in each market that they serve.

It comes down to which will meet your needs the best.

And which dealer will care for you the best?  :)

Jordy

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 01:43:12 am »
Test Soak will help you decide immediately.

TimC

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 09:06:00 am »
Down to the same two here also.  Each Wet Tested well, pros and cons to each.  Here are some questions that I have;

1) Filtration - HS 100% Marquis ??%,  does it matter

1a) Continuous (HS) vs. perodic (Marquis)

2) Differing Insulation, is one better?

3) Energy Usage Guarantee.  Is the Marquis going to cost more?  (live in Michigan, gets cold in winter).

4) Frog vs. Baqua (HS suggests the Baqua)

5) HS includes 220v Subpannel, does Marquis?

6) Is the HS Heater (no-touch titanium) better than Marquis??

OK, that is a good start.  Thanks in advance for your help.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 09:22:33 am »
Like Lori, I really believe in the final wet test approach to decide. Both are excellent products. Our tub is the pearl fininsh and no problems with it (although it is a different brand).  Do the wet test back to back and test the seats and functionality of the systems, and ask the same questions to the dealers about the tubs.  That will give you a strong comparitive to make your final decision.

I know it's tough but hey it's also fun.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 10:23:56 am »
These are answers to Tim's questions

The HS filter system requires 5 cartridges.  Others use just one or two.  Marquis uses one.  The HS system would require less frequent cleaning all else being equal, and it would ensure that the water is always as clean as possible.  On the other hand, 5 filter cartridges are quite expensive when they need replacement.  Both systems would provide equally clean water if you follow the manufacturers' instructions.

See above.

Insulation type is somewhat controversial.  The HS system of full foam is probably superior in terms of insulating properties, but has the disadvantage of being more difficult to work on if a leak develops somewhere inside.    

3) Energy Usage Guarantee.  Is the Marquis going to cost more?  (live in Michigan, gets cold in winter).

Ask both dealers for an estimate for your area.

I like the Frog for convenience and it is proving to be reliable and accurate.  Baqua makes the water feel silky and some people really like that feature of it.  Some people have reported  Baqua to be more trouble than it is worth.  Baqua is relatively expensive.  

I don't think so, but this is not a big dollar item and any electrician can supply one as a normal and nominal part of hookup.

Titanium is much more corrosion resistant than stainless steel.  This is an advantage especially if the owner neglects water chemistry and lets the PH go out of spec.  For people who pay attention to water chemistry, the titanium advantage is much less important.

In the end, while all of your questions point to  differences, it should be obvious that both individually and in aggragate, they do not show one brand to be overwhelmingly superior to the other.  Both Marquis and Hot Spring make superior spas.  Rely on your subjective preference after wet testing.  Most importantly, carefully consider the dealers who would service you to help you decide.  A spa is a complex electro-mechanical device.  As such it can malfunction.  The factory is usually far, far away from the consumer and they rely on their dealers as their front line to take care of the customer.  The customer should take the hint and pay attention to choosing a good dealer.

Regards,

Bill

« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 10:30:27 am by Bill_Stevenson »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 02:48:32 pm »
These are answers to Tim's questions

The HS filter system requires 5 cartridges.  Others use just one or two.  Marquis uses one.  The HS system would require less frequent cleaning all else being equal, and it would ensure that the water is always as clean as possible.  On the other hand, 5 filter cartridges are quite expensive when they need replacement.  Both systems would provide equally clean water if you follow the manufacturers' instructions.

Marquis uses 2 filters and is 100%.  

Marquis will move all of the water in the spa through the filters 2-3 times more in a 24 hour period than the Hotspring. Marquis did the circ pump for years and decided that there was no need to continue to create another system with potential for failure if you could accomplish as much or more without. The difference in energy draw on the systems is this; the circ pump draws .98 amps and runs 24 hrs per day. The Marquis main pump draws 1.2 amps and runs 6-8 hours a day moving more water.

Insulation type is somewhat controversial.  The HS system of full foam is probably superior in terms of insulating properties, but has the disadvantage of being more difficult to work on if a leak develops somewhere inside.

Are you under the impression that Marquis is not full foam? It certainly is! in addition to the wall to wall foam there is an additional Low "E" wrap around all 4 sides and the bottom of the spa.

Ask both dealers for an estimate for your area.

See above and form your own opinion. Both are known for their efficiency

I like the Frog for convenience and it is proving to be reliable and accurate.  Baqua makes the water feel silky and some people really like that feature of it.  Some people have reported  Baqua to be more trouble than it is worth.  Baqua is relatively expensive.

Matter of personal preferance.  

I don't think so, but this is not a big dollar item and any electrician can supply one as a normal and nominal part of hookup.

No Marquis does not but you purchase one at HomeDepot for $79.95

Titanium is much more corrosion resistant than stainless steel.  This is an advantage especially if the owner neglects water chemistry and lets the PH go out of spec.  For people who pay attention to water chemistry, the titanium advantage is much less important.

The Marquis Incoloy alloy 825 heater DOES contain titanium in addition to molybdenum, copper and the nickel-iron-chromium. It has been the most reliable heater I have ever dealt with in almost 15 years!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 03:11:51 pm by stuart »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 03:00:10 pm »
Well Stuart saved me a bunch of time because he is correct on all accounts.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 03:06:42 pm »
Well Stuart saved me a bunch of time because he is correct on all accounts.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

TimC

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 04:31:23 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

Now for Round 2....

1) How can you have 100% filtration on the marquis if there are footwell suction ports?

2) Open cell foam (marquis) vs. closed cell foam (HS)??

3) Any actual experience with energy usage from owners and users in the north?

4) What does the Low "E" wrap do.  Is it primarialy a vapor barrier?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 04:31:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42