What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Optima on the deck!  (Read 2842 times)

sobe

• Sundance optima owner
Optima on the deck!
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:54:18 am »
Optima was delivered on friday after much difficulty, had to be rolled down the steps,caused minor damage to the corner panel. salesman who had come out to the house thought that it would be no problem to get the tub on the deck, it turned out to be a bigger job than anticipated.
Still waiting for the electrician to show up to wire the tub and get the service to the house upgraded to 200 amps.
Will post pics when all is done.

Glad the forum is back.

Hot Tub Forum

Optima on the deck!
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:54:18 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Optima on the deck!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 10:39:59 am »
I'd like to know the cost of upgrading to 200 amp service.  New service panel?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 02:30:10 pm »
$1500

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 03:04:35 pm »
Hey WM...

I upgraded my last house from 100 to 200 for about $700. Our local power company had a deal that if you upgrade service, they would bury new cable for you, remove the masthead on the roof, old line, etc.

I upgraded with a "Cutler Hammer panel" and had an electrician do the work. It took him one day to tie the panel in and get everything working. Following this, the power company came out and upgraded the service.

If you already have a "modern" panel (i.e., after 1985,  roughly speaking) you might be able to reuse the breakers and save some money. I did this on my upgrade and it worked great.

Some power companies also have "package deals" listed on their websites for upgrading service, including new panels. You might want to check them out.

Gotta go -- "Gaston" is less than 20 miles from Beach Town and it's already starting to blow. Seems like every tropical storm this season is trying to hit VA Beach.

Andy

:(
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 03:09:49 pm »
Ahh, Virginia Beach, the only place I was ever paid $40 /hr to lie on a beach.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 03:50:20 pm »
WOW, sounds like a job!

Where do I sign up?
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 05:00:40 pm »
WOW, sounds like a job!

Where do I sign up?

Me too!

And I wish our local power companies would off deals such as were mentioned above!  

We pay for everything, and then pay some more. Once it's all in and the inspectors are happy, the power compnay will come and move the wires over - for a fee. But most of our electricians want to have the panel 'hot' before they leave, so they simply do this themselves and have Edison come out to check it.

I have done quite a few panel changes, and I find that allowing about and grand and a half seems to cover most people. There are jobs that can be done for less, for example: if you can use a surface-mount box and simply reassign your existing box to do 'sub panel' duty, you can save a bunch. Especially if you can tie into the old box with a surface mounted conduit or by using the old weatherhead.

If you don't have to cut into a wall and have it all patched back up you can save a bunch.

If you can do the whole job exposed: perhaps in a garage or basement wall that is open on the back - you can save a bunch.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

sobe

• Sundance optima owner
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 08:12:37 pm »
I have gotten estimates of $1800-$2280 for the upgrade with a new panel.  
Thanks for all the feedback.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 08:12:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42