What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How level should a new concrete slab be and should I shim a non level hot tub?  (Read 2994 times)

sleepwalker

I just bought a new Hot Springs Prodigy from the local dealer. I got a new 7x8 concrete slab for $1100 using the local dealer's contractor recommendation.

The tub has been installed and working now for a couple of weeks and it's not quite level. If you're facing the control panel, the water is about 1.5-2" higher on the left side, and it also appears to be a bit higher on the backside(opposite the control panel).

I mentioned this to the dealer initially because I saw that the Hot Springs delivery packet mentions possibly shimming a non-level hot tub and haven't received a response. Ideally the slab would be perfectly level, but I have no idea if that's realistic.

How realistic are my expectations that the tub be level(or at least more level than it currently is)?

Hot Tub Forum

wetman

A reputable concrete contractor would be able to pour a slab perfectly level . I would think it would be level considering he knew the purpose for the pad.
I would address this with him. Personally I would have made sure it was level before installing tub and ask to have pad removed and repoured. Just my opinion of course. Contact your dealer to see what options you have. FYI I had a 12 x 30 pad put in for my RV  perfectly level but pitched  over the length for water runoff

bud16415

2” would not be acceptable to me. Something like a half inch for water runoff is all I would have asked for and all I would have accepted. Not sure how shimming would work as I feel the tub needs solid and flat support across the full bottom. 

Clarkp

A concrete contractor that's been on the job even a few days can get a 7' x 8' slab level; I mean even a homeowner can put a 2x4 across the top of the forms, check it with a level and raise or lower sides to get it really, really close to perfect.

You need to be careful from here on out.  It sounds like you may not want to depend on the advice you get from your dealer on 'shimming'.  Some 'shims' could put enough torque on the acrylic shell to create stress risers and possibly micro fractures, so I would be very careful with that.  I would consult the factory on how to proceed.  You don't want your warranty voided due to an improperly installed / shimmed tub.

castletonia

Most of the Hot Springs Highlife Collection can be shimmed (Grandee excluded), but I would be asking for the patio to be re-done in an acceptable manner.  1.5" -2" is excessive in my opinion.  The pre-delivery guide suggests 1/2" over 10' for water runoff.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42