What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: WET TESTED Marquis  (Read 4533 times)

Sol_Dahbrishinsky

WET TESTED Marquis
« on: August 26, 2004, 12:52:06 am »
Well.........

I wet tested the Marquis line today ::)

SO....  I really like the salesman (low key and very informative)

For those of you with a EUPHORIA what is with the "zone" I am sure that with time one may adjust so that more than one person will be comfortable with the jets at the SAME time.

I took your great advice and took notes after we left the store.  

NOTES and QUERIES:

1)  the lounge that felt wonderful DRY was lousy WET.  I floated out and was uncomfortable fighting to stay "in" the lounge!!
2)  the foot jets were magnificent (could have stayed in that seat all day...  and almost did :D)
3)  sound of the jets was very nice (never really had to raise my voice while asking question)
4)  the chairs I liked the most were the high ones that left my upper body out of the water.
5)  I was surprised that the jets did not overwhelm me (other than the foot jets)
6)  I really liked the whirlpool action in the regular EUPHORIA
7)  HERE is only negative....  on all the chairs with headrests....  the headrests pushed my neck out and were NOT comfortable at all (however the second time around I adjusted and pushed my body out from the headrest)

Is this unique to the EUPHORIA or do all headrests "kink" the neck

Thanks for listening and all the great advice...

It is obvious that a wet test is a must (and according to the salesman only 10% wet test!!!!!!!!)

Now on to SUNDANCE....

Hot Tub Forum

WET TESTED Marquis
« on: August 26, 2004, 12:52:06 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: WET TESTED Marquis
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 04:21:26 am »
Well.........

I wet tested the Marquis line today ::)

SO....  I really like the salesman (low key and very informative)

Be sure to let him know that even if you don't buy from him
For those of you with a EUPHORIA what is with the "zone" I am sure that with time one may adjust so that more than one person will be comfortable with the jets at the SAME time.

Actually once you get used to it you'll love it.
I took your great advice and took notes after we left the store.  

NOTES and QUERIES:

1)  the lounge that felt wonderful DRY was lousy WET.  I floated out and was uncomfortable fighting to stay "in" the lounge!!

I'm confused, the Euphoria does not have a lounge?
2)  the foot jets were magnificent (could have stayed in that seat all day...  and almost did :D)

I can't stand most foot jets because I have ticklish feet but I love those!
3)  sound of the jets was very nice (never really had to raise my voice while asking question)
4)  the chairs I liked the most were the high ones that left my upper body out of the water.

Yes they do run very quiet, part of that is those trizone valves you where questioning. You will find you spend quite a bit of time in the cool down seats. This is where I massage my ankles.
5)  I was surprised that the jets did not overwhelm me (other than the foot jets)
6)  I really liked the whirlpool action in the regular EUPHORIA

Part of Marquis philosophy is "passive therapy" while giving you well placed jets like the whirlpool to work the larger muscles more. In the regular seats you can set longer and get more heat to the muscle without irritation. I work my shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands and even neck on the whirlpool jets and then set quite awhile in the therapy seats. I think I like the regular Euphoria better because of this.
7)  HERE is only negative....  on all the chairs with headrests....  the headrests pushed my neck out and were NOT comfortable at all (however the second time around I adjusted and pushed my body out from the headrest)

The headrests hit everyone different. I fit great but have a long torso, my wife had the same concern you do before we got the spa home and now I can't get her out of the therapy seat with the headrest (I have an older model with only one) since she has become accustom to using them correctly. The Euphoria seats are a bit deep and you might fit better in the Reward.

Thanks for listening and all the great advice...

It is obvious that a wet test is a must (and according to the salesman only 10% wet test!!!!!!!!)

Now on to SUNDANCE....

Great post we appreciate your follow up and opinion!

Oskar

• 2003 Marquis Reward
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 09:40:14 am »
Are you sure you were not in the escape or reward with a lounge, the escape has a footwell with jets.

As far a floating  out of the lounge if you have on a baggy swim suit this will do it as it fills up with air, when you get it home and go as nature intended this will probably stop, or get a form fitting speedo.

Now as far as headrest go Marquis discontinued headrests some time ago and I don't think the have come back, they mold in the headrest to the shell, at least mine is and the 2004 models I have seen in the showroom are the same as mine, could this be an aftermarket item the dealer added?
We like the zone system as two of us can use two different zones at one time and get what we want out of the therapy that we need,

Sol_Dahbrishinsky

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 10:42:45 am »
Sorry :-/:

We wet tested 3 tubs the Euphoria, the Euphoria SA, and the Reward.

The Reward is the one with the lounge...

And the headrests are built-in (plastic) and jut out pushing my neck...

YES I was wearing baggy trunks (the last time I wore speedos was at my last swim meet as a senior in high school---burned 'em after that ;D)

I liked the spaciousness of the Euphoria in the footwell;  it seemed as though our feet overlapped in the reward.

Finally, I really like the way the cedar siding (synthetic) looks with the pebbled gray finish.  One of the more elegant of the ones we've seen.

We told the salesman we'd be back to wet test another time... Absolutely NO pressure just "Let me know when you want to come in again!!!!!!"

Let you know about Sundance on Friday....

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 11:38:23 am »

When we tested both the Reward and Euphoria we found that only the seats that were the right depth, the headrests felt ok.  If the seat was too deep or not deep enough the headrests did not feel comfortable at all.  

This is one of the big reasons we avoided the Marquis.  We wanted all the seats to be comfortable for both of us.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 12:35:14 pm »
The headrests and/or pillows can be taken care of with a loose pillow or pad, or just a rolled-up towel. I wouldn't think that should be a deal-breaker. The jets, seating arrangement, power, adjustability, comfort when wet - now those are deal breakers.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 12:36:37 pm »
The reason I always cringe when I see someone say "Spa X" is the BEST is because what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for the next guy. The Marquis is a fine spa but what this really shows is why wet testing is sooo important. The headrests for some may be just right and for others not so great. Same thing for the lounge, jets, etc. Its best to wet test 2 to 3 different spa makers as you'll often find one that jumps out as just right and you often find one that seemed to be the "right one" until the wet test tells you otherwise.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 12:40:27 pm »

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 01:30:56 pm »
Maybe this is better covered on a separate post rather than when someone is testing a spa that I'm biased towards but I truly believe people typically wet test different than how they use the spa at home.

Most salespeople are not good at "setting up" the wet test. What I mean by this is if you have short people testing you don't fill the spa to the max so that they float, you have booster seats available and you point out foot holds in the spa that they can brace themselves with (including suctions). If they are taller and you have a seat with reverse molding, show them to pivot themselves out in the seat slightly to recline a bit. Trying to fit everyone in a manufactures molded seating doesn't mean that they all set in the seat the way it looks like you would. An example would be the Marquis Escape, my wife did not like the Whirlpool alcove because she could not hold herself in yet we tried it about 6 months later and when she found that she could set cross-legged (Indian style) in the seat she liked it better than just about any spa she had tried. I love to set with the back of my neck on a Marquis whirlpool jet at an angle across the tub with my feet up on another whirlpool at the same time. It's kind of like getting a big cushioned chair in your house and setting sideways in it because it props your legs comfortably.

The other thing that amazes me is that many people try to buy the biggest spa possible when 90% of the time their are 2 of them in it (even in a large family situation). This doesn't mean that you don't want room to stretch out but a 7 foot spa is great for most people because just about everyone can "brace" their feet against something in the foot well to set at odd angles and hit different and unique sore spots.

Years ago I couldn't imagine the old Hotspring dog dish look classic model being comfortable yet it was unbelievable. I brought took home one day many years ago because it was a trade in and I just needed a temporary spa at my house. The plain upright seating and shallow depth looked too simple but I loved that spa! That’s how I feel about my Marquis Journey now, we want a change and find that it’s hard to get used to another design.

Amazingly enough in all of the years that I have been in this business and all of the different brands I have sold Marquis is the only one that I have never had a customer say their not happy with the seating after getting it home. The only time I hear concerns about seating is in the initial wet test. That’s part of the reason we give people a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. We want them to try it at home for a while without fear of making the wrong choice.

Sol_Dahbrishinsky

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 04:15:53 pm »
Thanks for all your GREAT responses!!!!!!!!

more to come.............

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 04:34:49 pm »
With the tri-zone, there are two main diverters. If you divide the tub in half between the filters, each diverter controls only their respective side of the tub. So the diverter on one side of the tub can provide full flow to either 1) four of the powerful HK40 jets on the post below the filters; 2) the back jets in the seats; or 3) the whirlpool jets.

Each diverter can be positioned to split the flow between the HK40s on the post and either the back jets in the seats or whirlpool jets.

For me, euphoria is all 8 HK40 jets below the filter hitting on my neck and back. I also like the deep corner seat with the neck jets turned on. I am 6'1" with a tall torso and slouch a little to rest my head where the neck jets hit me just right. My wife is 5'2". She cannot use the deep seat without a cushion, but the other corner seat fits her well and does almost the same thing. It also has neck jets. The other seats we use for cool down or foot massage on the HK40s below the filter. The whirlpool is nice with company, wine, and beer.

We also wet tested the Reward, Caldera and D-1. We really liked all three brands. I didn't like the lounger in the Reward and the pressure did not seem as strong to me. But that was compared to the HK40 jets on the Euphoria. The D-1 Diplomat was a little confining and difficult to switch between seats. The Chairman was spacious, but I really didn't care for the lounger. The Caldera Niaguara was too deep for my wife. I really liked the pearl finish and fiberoptics in the Caldera. We ended up buying the white finish and multicolored light in the Marquis. It is very nice, but not nearly the same effect as the Caldera. Also, the best deal I could make on the Caldera was about a $1000 more. We are extremely happy with the Euphoria and very glad we took the advice of this board to WET TEST. My wife was very reluctant to do it, but it made all the difference in the world.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 04:34:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42