What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mice  (Read 14967 times)

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
Mice
« on: August 16, 2004, 10:06:52 am »
We have a spa that is outdoors sitting on a concrete slab with a deck built around it. This weekend the subject of mice came up. We have a  new 2004 Marquis Spa with the Dura Base. I feel this must be a great advantage to prevention of mice entering the body of the spa.

But they are pretty crafty in getting into things. I know there are some gap's for air ventalation. With winter not to far around the corner. Is there something that can be done to prevent or deture the problem?

I live in a rural area and every fall & winter I am setting traps in the garage. I would like to do what I can.

Any advice?

Hot Tub Forum

Mice
« on: August 16, 2004, 10:06:52 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Mice
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 11:17:06 am »
aaahhh,
I have dealt with Marquis since the inception of the DuraBase and found that I have not had one problem with mice in the cabinet on a durabase model. I can't say why this is because I have problems where they got into the non-dura cabinet and cause damage.

Here are some things you can do;

1. Push steel wool along the bottom of the door and any other obvious gaps.

2. Put mothballs in the cabinet.

3. They make a rodent repelling device that emits a sonic sound we don't hear that you can put under there

4. Get an outdoors cat and put his food and water dish by the spa, feed him only every other day...

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 01:26:32 pm »
Depending on how yours is set up.  Where you electrical comes in you might want to try calking or that steel wool thing.  Just a thought
¿

aaahhh

• aaahhh now that feels good!  04 Marquis Euphoria
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 08:15:28 pm »
huh,

My electrical comes in through two holes drilled in the Dure Base. One for electical and the other for the remote control wire. Both are coming in with electrical conduit and sealed with plenty of silicone caulk.

Thank you for your responce.

Jeff

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 08:24:15 pm »
Just found this.  It might help.  The pick at the bottom is not for the faint hearted.

http://spasupport.com/rats/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 08:25:32 pm by huh »
¿

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 08:28:05 pm »
¿

Constance

• I love my Bahia
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 07:18:22 pm »
My new Bahia will arrive in about 2 weeks.  I noticed that there are air vents on the bottom  of the panel that covers the pump.  The rest of the tub is full foam and it has a full bottom.  My concern is mice getting into the vents.
1. I'm worried that if I put steel wool in the vents, my unit may overheat, break and I will have voided the warrentee by putting the steel wool over the vents.
2.  I've heard the the moth balls work--and one dealer mentioned that a certain herb also helps but he couldn't remember the name.  Has anyone out there had success or no success with the moth balls or a herb (I need the name of the herb)
3.  I've seen the rodent sonic sound device at the hardward store.  We've considered getting it and have the electricion wire an outlet by the tub for the device and place the device in the tub by the pumps.  Has anyone had success with this???
4.  I love cats--but husband and son hate them.  No luck!!
5.  Does anyone else have any ideas???  I know mice is a problem here as I had them build nests under my flower pots on the deck.
Thanks millions!!
Connie

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 07:34:25 pm »
Constance,
You should check with your dealer but if it were mine I'd try stapling wire mesh over the vent holes if its possible and they won't show. This should not interfere with your air flow (again, check with your dealer). While mice like to chew through most anything I doubt they'd chew through that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 07:39:32 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 09:59:16 pm »
Yes, mesh on the back side of the vents is a great idea.  RHTUBS sells a mouse away product that is made from herbs.  I keep moth balls in my pump compartment as a preventative measure.  They seem to work.

Constance

• I love my Bahia
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 10:54:08 pm »
Super Guys ;) :D
Thanks for the ideas 8)
Connie

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 03:49:37 am »
Use Bounce sheets, (yes the anti static laundry sheets)

Place 2 or 3  sheets in the pump compartment and replace them every 2 to 3 months.

Mice and bugs cannot stand the smell.

I have done this since February of this year and since then there has been no evidence of bugs or mice.

Its cheap, Its friendly, and keeps your pump area smelling nice.

Regards Zz
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 04:02:48 am by ZzTop »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 05:54:00 am »
DE-CON!!!!
Retired

cparlf

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 02:49:25 pm »
I've heard of using dryer sheets from people with their cabins etc.  I suggest calling a local exterminator.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 02:56:15 pm »
Use Bounce sheets, (yes the anti static laundry sheets)

Place 2 or 3  sheets in the pump compartment and replace them every 2 to 3 months.

Mice and bugs cannot stand the smell.

I have done this since February of this year and since then there has been no evidence of bugs or mice.

Its cheap, Its friendly, and keeps your pump area smelling nice.

Regards Zz

Cling Free works also.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

rick

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 06:54:40 pm »
All these tricks might work fine but we all know the best way to keep mice out of your spa is to buy another spa, specifically a thermopane spa and set it up right next to your "real" spa.  All the mice will go live in the thermopane!!   :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 06:54:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42