What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotspring Highlife or Highlife NXT Energy Efficiency  (Read 2654 times)

Aquatub88

Hotspring Highlife or Highlife NXT Energy Efficiency
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:35:33 am »
I am looking for owners experience with the Highlife line in trying to understand what the increase will be in KWH / month consumed by the hottub. We all have different supply rates from our electric companies so to say the hottub will cost an additional $50 / month is really climate and rate sensitive. My supply rate is on the low side at 6 cents per KWH but I am looking to see what the additional KWH consumption is on your electric bill each month. Is it 500 kWh or 1000 kWh ?  I appreciate your help in trying to understand the energy consumption.

Hot Tub Forum

Hotspring Highlife or Highlife NXT Energy Efficiency
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:35:33 am »

castletonia

Re: Hotspring Highlife or Highlife NXT Energy Efficiency
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:10:03 am »
Any model in particular?  There is going to be a difference between a 200 gallon Jetsetter and a 450 gallon Grandee.

d00nut

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 01:51:16 pm »
I am looking for owners experience with the Highlife line in trying to understand what the increase will be in KWH / month consumed by the hottub. We all have different supply rates from our electric companies so to say the hottub will cost an additional $50 / month is really climate and rate sensitive. My supply rate is on the low side at 6 cents per KWH but I am looking to see what the additional KWH consumption is on your electric bill each month. Is it 500 kWh or 1000 kWh ?  I appreciate your help in trying to understand the energy consumption.

So much depends on the model, the ambient temp, and how you use it.

I had a meter on my spa when I first got it for the first 30 days, just as an experiment.  Ambient temp was around 45 degrees that month, and it was delivered while snowing (starting temperature of the water was just over 50 degrees.)

I ended up using 296 KWH in the first 30 days.  I think I missed 2 days of hot tubbing (I'm not a huge jet user, like 5-10 minutes at a time... then I can soak for another 30-45 minutes easy each time.)  I have a Grandee NXT.

I pay $0.11 a KWH --> $32.56 for my first month.  Which on my electric statement, it went from about $80 to just over $110, so that is about right.

The more info you give, the better idea of what we can calculate for you.

Aquatub88

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 06:51:38 pm »
I’m looking at the Envoy NXT which is 38” depth and 390 Gallons. This time of year the outside temperature will be 70 to 85 and I would expect to keep the spa around 100 degrees. 
During the winter it could be between 20 and 40 degrees outside. Another question I thought of - Does it make sense to drop the temperature 5 degrees when you are not using the spa or does it use more energy to heat back up to 100 than it would use to maintain the 100 degrees 7 x 24 ?  What about if you are away for a week ?   This model has the circulation pump.  Thank you!

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 06:58:51 pm »
I’m looking at the Envoy NXT which is 38” depth and 390 Gallons. This time of year the outside temperature will be 70 to 85 and I would expect to keep the spa around 100 degrees. 
During the winter it could be between 20 and 40 degrees outside. Another question I thought of - Does it make sense to drop the temperature 5 degrees when you are not using the spa or does it use more energy to heat back up to 100 than it would use to maintain the 100 degrees 7 x 24 ?  What about if you are away for a week ?   This model has the circulation pump.  Thank you!

Again, this depends on use.  But the numbers I have at 20 degrees based on 15 minutes of jets at each use @ 102 degrees would be between 368-390 kWh.  Assuming you are using it 5-6 times a week and NOT refilling it that month.  Refills will always go up.

at 70 degrees... almost nothing.  Same situation... 100-130 kWh

It does not make sense to drop the temperature of the spa.  Only if you are gone for 2+ weeks would I consider that. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 06:58:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42